NGD - 2015 Martin HD-28

What's Hot
SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
Well, not quite NGD, this was a couple of weeks ago but I didn't get around to posting yet.  Went into PMT Northampton for a look at 'nice' acoustics and tried pretty much everything they had.  Most of their new medium-high end stuff was Taylor and this second hand HD-28 blew them all out of the park, to my ears at least.  I expected to walk out with a Taylor as I've always liked the look of them but I found everything very bright sounding, while this felt much more rounded tone-wise, with a much nicer bass end. 

Funny how you can have your own pre-conceived opinions that turn out to be wrong.  I absolutely didn't think I liked dreadnoughts, in terms of size or sound, but this has completely turned me round. 

Has a couple of very minor dings on the headstock, but nothing really noticeable unless you're looking for it.  It has a lovely satin neck and seems to have been played in nicely. 

Very happy to have spent significantly less than I had planned/expected too, which helped fund a tele that I wasn't expecting to be able to buy until later in the year at the earliest :) 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Very nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Beauty. With the better neck profile and nut width than the current Reimagined Stds as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Beauty. With the better neck profile and nut width than the current Reimagined Stds as well.
    Oh, what have they done with the new ones?  Thinner?
  • Very nice.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    SteveF said:
    The nut width has increased from 1 11/16 to 1 3/4 and the neck has got slightly bigger.
    Does 1/16 make much difference?  I do like the neck profile, I must admit, it's very comfortable. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    The HD28 continually surprises people. Well done. Looks great 
    SteveF said:
    Does 1/16 make much difference?  I do like the neck profile, I must admit, it's very comfortable. 
    Oh Christ yes. I'm not a fan myself - I prefer the 1 11/16 nut that you have on your guitar.
    It seems such a tiny amount!  :lol: 
    SteveF said:
    It seems such a tiny amount!  :lol: 
    Yeah, it's nuts. Anyway, congrats on a fantastic guitar - I love Martin dreads.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited April 2020
    SteveF said:
    Yes, new ones have the 1 3/4" nut width rather than 1 11/16" and the neck carve fells less round to me. I have a 2018 Reimagined HD28 and have adjusted but slightly preferred the fuller more rounded neck on the older models.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26980
    Good GAS :)

HD28s are brilliant and I'll never ever sell mine. They just nail the sound of an "acoustic guitar" from basically every classic recording ever
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Lovely guitar, hope you enjoy it as much as I do with my HD28 reimagined. Have fun auditioning various different makes of strings. My favourite for mine is Curt Mangan PB 13’s.
    markj said:
    Lovely guitar, hope you enjoy it as much as I do with my HD28 reimagined. Have fun auditioning various different makes of strings. My favourite for mine is Curt Mangan PB 13’s.
    I'm currently on Martin Lifespan PB 12s.  I have a few sets of standard Martin Acoustic 12s too, but might try a few other brands after that.