Always on pedal for big amp sound at low volumes

What's Hot

Comments

• sweavesweave Frets: 65
    I'm finding my Thorpy Peacekeeper excellent to tweak and preserve tone when playing at lower volumes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Mesa V-Twin.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've tried a couple of the things I currently have today.

First I tried was the TC Spark. It was ok, but couldn't find a setting on it or a position where it wasn't just a "make everything louder" thing which defeats the object of trying to get big sounds at low volumes.

Next I tried my Mosky Silver Horse. This was a little bit better but I've never been a huge klon fan. It's just a bit too mid pushy but I'll have to tweak a bit more with it. I think I prefer Klon-types as a solo boost.

Then I tried the Boss SD-1. I love this pedal, but not for this application apparently.

I then tried my Marshall GV-2. This is where I had the most success. Set up as I normally would have it with gain at half, volume at a smidge under half, bass at 0, deep all the way up, treble all the way up and mids pretty much at half. This would give me my cranked Marshall distortion sound normally, so I just tried rolling the volume back a touch and it did something along the lines of what I'm after. Not perfect, but still pretty good.

So I think what I'll look for is a lower-gain Marshall style overdrive and run it really light - maybe a Bluesbreaker type or low-gain plexi type.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Boss SD1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Boss SD1
      YellowLedBetterMan said:
    I've tried a couple of the things I currently have today.

Then I tried the Boss SD-1. I love this pedal, but not for this application apparently.

So I think what I'll look for is a lower-gain Marshall style overdrive and run it really light - maybe a Bluesbreaker type or low-gain plexi type.

• Mark1985Mark1985 Frets: 234
    I have an attenuator module that plugs into the effects loop of my amp to act as a master volume. Lets me get cranked amp sounds at low volumes. 
    I think its a lad on the forum that makes them and theyre only about 20 quid. 
    That or the little black amp box from jhs will work.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I'm happy with a Spark Boost and TS type, (I've used both and SD-1 and BM), pedal into my HRDIII. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Mark1985 said:
    I have an attenuator module that plugs into the effects loop of my amp to act as a master volume. Lets me get cranked amp sounds at low volumes. 
    Danny1969 - http://thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Fender-Hot-Rod-Volume-Pot-Module.html

@Danny1969 - your Ebay link is broken :).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Master-Volume-Module/184224882726

It should also fit any amp with 20mm (centre to centre) FX loop jack spacing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    ICBM said:
    Mark1985 said:
    Danny1969 - http://thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Fender-Hot-Rod-Volume-Pot-Module.html

@Danny1969 - your Ebay link is broken :).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Master-Volume-Module/184224882726

It should also fit any amp with 20mm (centre to centre) FX loop jack spacing.

Ah yeah cheers I will fix that link. Some pro USA guitarist has brought 5 of those, he's got 5 amps in different locations and got a Lion Tamer in every one ... been mentally popular gadget worldwide 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    For great fruschanti tones I run a Origin Effects Cali 76 compressor into the front end of my Marshall Origin 20C. You can dial in a bit of grit by adjusting the volume in on the Cali (over all output controlled by the Cali Out dial)

hope that helps
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I built a Wampler Plexi Drive clone for a friend a while back and that had a bass boost switch that was very useful for fattening things up for low/bedroom volume. I'm pretty sure that was the whole point of the switch being on there. Nice sounding pedal, btw.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    Another vote for the mojo mojo. Gives things that nice spongy feel. 
  • I suppose when looking for Frusciante ish tones I should've first looked at the biggest Frusciante nerd on the internet.

Dave Simpson recommends the Marshall BB2, Jackhammer and Tone City Golden Plexi for this job, all with the gain low.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    RYRA Clone or any other Klone would do it
  • Fuzz face
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1185
    edited April 2020
    Folk who recommend a Klone always on - how do you have it set and where in the chain?

Same question to the people who say TC Spark too.
  • Folk who recommend a Klone always on - how do you have it set and where in the chain?

Mine is a juansolo klone.  First in line, maybe after a light compressor. Gain & volume at 11 o’clock, tone at 12 o’clock (single coils) or 3 o’clock (humbuckers). 

Seems to give a “bigger” sound with a touch of grit, stacked into a TS for a crunch sound. 

I love the mid-pushed sound it gives but it’s probably not for everyone. 

• A compressor into a slightly driven amp would be my call

Bye!

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    edited April 2020
    Folk who recommend a Klone always on - how do you have it set and where in the chain?

Klone first in line.
    Level maximum, gain minimum. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis