stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
edited April 2020 in Music
Completely wonderful, and getting better with age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GoWhQgxyQ
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Wonderful that, thanks for posting. What a voice...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice. I'd chuck 'em 20p if they were busking outside Wollies.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    bloody brilliant. just...wow! Nice one fiddles.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Thanks! I love how they’ve evolved the song delivery over the years. So glad I saw their acoustic gig in London last month, with the current situation I wonder if they’ll still tour the uk in October.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Ooohhh. Just what I needed to lift the old spirits. Thanks for posting. :) :+1: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Completely wonderful, and getting better with age

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0GoWhQgxyQ
    Many thanks, I had no idea of this repository of really great talent that I'd otherwise not have heard.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    I am very distracted by a lot of the stuff in the background on Tiny Desk but that’s a cool set of songs. Nice. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 916
    Is it just me or has Tiny Desk gotten a lot bigger names of late?
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 711
    Nice one, thanks for posting!
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    recent interview with Marc Ford - sad and possibly slighty shitty way to find out your band has broken up. 

It seemed as though Magpie Salute (which featured the reunion of Marc and fellow guitarist Rich Robinson – former Black Crowemates) was headed for good things, but when the band came off the road in February of 2019, everybody was feeling pretty beat up. 

They’d basically been touring for two years, but there was more to it than that, says Marc: “The band was great, but it’s discouraging when you throw everything you have at it and for whatever reason it isn’t working. Certain people knew things a lot earlier than anyone else did, but we were all sensitive to it ... it was going bad and you could feel it.”

Marc and the rest of the Magpies were told the band wouldn’t be touring for the rest of the year, which was no surprise, he says.  “Rich and I still talked on the phone about things now and then ... but little by little we talked less and less. Then one day I tried to call him and the number had changed.”

Shortly after that, Marc and his bandmates found out – along with the rest of the world – that Rich had reunited with brother Chris Robinson to fire the Black Crowes back up ... with a completely new set of musicians backing them

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • RomainRomain Frets: 15
    An amazing tune I haven't listened for a quite a while and I am glad to listen to it tonight.
    Nice one!
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    This is great and good they have made up but they have shit on the rest of the band.
    Magpie Salute is a fantastic band - their live album is great. Wasn't quite so keen on Chris Robinson's Brotherhood - sad that Neal Casal from that band committed suicide too :(
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    The guitar on the first song sounded monstrous. Loved it.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I like it, good that they are together, but I'd rather see Marc Ford involved and new material.  Perhaps the latter will happen, these are really good songs but I'm more interested in new music.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Some of Marc Ford's own stuff is pretty good. Think I saw some live stuff online where he had an upright bass player. Sounded great. Can't find it though...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Some of Marc Ford's own stuff is pretty good. Think I saw some live stuff online where he had an upright bass player. Sounded great. Can't find it though...
    There's a gig he did with Booker T ( maybe a Glastonbury?) that was online I really liked. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Fuzz machine, Weary and Wired and the Vulture are great Marc Ford albums. He's one of my musical heroes but it's weird he always seems to get a bye. There's no question in his time he has been just as much a problem to those around him as the Robinsons. 

Seriously though I think him back with the Crowes is a recipe for relapse. Ace the chap from Earthless is playing with them as he happily rips 15min long pentatonic solos any day of the week!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637

I like it, good that they are together, but I'd rather see Marc Ford involved and new material.  Perhaps the latter will happen, these are really good songs but I'm more interested in new music.
    From the Gorman book it appears the Crowes were often split into the druggy Chris side (Ford and Ed and Pipien) and the non-druggy Rich side (Steve and Johnny Colt). So I can see why they didn’t ask old band members back to avoid old issues flaring up. I think Marc is now clean and has found God, but it’s still a risk.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1