BKP Bootcamp pickups

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
Anyone tried these? Any difference to their more expensive range??

i’m particularly interested in the Old Guard A2 Strat set - more so because they come with a flat stagger. Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I've a set of the Old Guard Humbuckers in an Joe Bonamassa Amos Flying V.  Tim recommended them to me when I asked him about what would work.  Given that he's known me for years and knows that I would get any pickups that he recommends, I thought that was a good endorsement.

I like the sound of them in it, they have no real difference in feel to the Mules or Stormy Mondays that I have in other guitars.  I have seen them being made and know that it is the regular guys who make them.  Tim explained that the save is because they can make a lot more, as they are repeating the same wind on each one, rather than having to change between each custom pickup that they make. 

Everything in them is regular BK parts, the main difference is that there is no customization option available.

I'm sure the Old Guard A2 Strats will be a bit like the Sultan's, which are one of my favourite BK Strat sets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    @PhilKing thanks for the insight and sharing your experience.

Seeing as getting a flat stagger is nearly impossible without going custom and paying extra, these look like a good deal for what I’m after.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited April 2020
    Been interested in either the Old Guard or True Grit humbuckers for a while to try in my SG but like you struggled to find much in the way of reviews or real world feedback. @PhilKing being that a V is probably quite similar material and construction wise to an SG do you reckon the Old Guard would be a good fit for a nice versatile set of pickups for a classic SG PAF style tone with balls? I can't tell what would work best for me. I've never tried low output pickups in it but now I'm not in a metal band I'm a bit bored of the extreme output and compression of my Warpig! Just can't tell if I'd want the higher output of the True Grit.

Sorry for semi hijack!
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Hi @TTBZ - the Old Guard will be great in the SG.  I think the True Grit might just be in that in-between range that doesn't work in SG's.

I tried a set of slightly higher output's in one of my SG's and went back to a Riff Raff set, as they gave me much more of what I wanted.  I know that they are A5 vs the A2 of the Old Guard, but I like A2 pickups, and you can always put a drive pedal in front of a lower output pickup if you want to push the amp a bit more.  I like the clarity of them over a higher output pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I am looking at  a pair  of BK P90's  to go in my burst Squier SE strat  body ,Nearly all my guitars have A2  so I might go a2 neck and a5 bridge .I play mainly jazz and blues usually to drown my voice at jams
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    PhilKing said:
    Hi @TTBZ - the Old Guard will be great in the SG.  I think the True Grit might just be in that in-between range that doesn't work in SG's.

I tried a set of slightly higher output's in one of my SG's and went back to a Riff Raff set, as they gave me much more of what I wanted.  I know that they are A5 vs the A2 of the Old Guard, but I like A2 pickups, and you can always put a drive pedal in front of a lower output pickup if you want to push the amp a bit more.  I like the clarity of them over a higher output pickup.
    Sounds good to me, thanks for the reply! Clarity is exactly what I'm missing with the Warpig. It sounds huge and mean but a little excessive for the indie, pop and rock covers I've found myself gigging! And yes a great excuse for more drive pedals :)