What strings for an old Gibson L50?

What's Hot
I've got an old Gibson L50 like the one pictured on Reverb, below. When I got it, it seemed to be set up with a heavy set of electric strings (maybe 12s), which can't be right.

I imagine it would have been a set of flatwound strings, but I don't have any experience with flatwounds. Can someone recommend a set that this guitar would have shipped with? Seems kinda fragile and I'm a little worried about putting it under too much tension.

https://reverb.com/uk/p/gibson-l-50-f-hole-1935-1971?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-n5xt_G6AIVFuDtCh3Xrg46EAQYASABEgKQtvD_BwE&hfid=19302389&merchant_id=118043958&utm_campaign=1726164661&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 980
    edited April 2020
    Under setup it mentions string guage, any use?

https://www.archtop.com/ac_53_L50.html
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Another vote for archtop.com, the experts! You could aways drop the tuning to D as well..
  • jakeollyjakeolly Frets: 115
    archtop know best!!!
    dont  go with flats. Its designed to be played unamplified and flats will make it sound dull. I know. Ive done it . Imho flats are for amplified jazz guitars to avoid squeak and mellow out the tone into 60s jazz , which is a great sound but not for these.

The tops on these archtops are pretty strong and if the bracing is ok 12s are fine . Also if you go much lighter  they wont drive the top very well and itll sound less full

if its action is good and the bridge isnt on tip toe it means the top hasnt sunk much , and being as its at least 60 years old itll probably stay that way unless weather, indoor climate or daft string choices ( like 14’s) impact 
    they can be  great guitars , have fun 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    jakeolly said:
    archtop know best!!!
    dont  go with flats. Its designed to be played unamplified and flats will make it sound dull. I know. Ive done it . Imho flats are for amplified jazz guitars to avoid squeak and mellow out the tone into 60s jazz , which is a great sound but not for these.

This !  Duly WIS'd

Maybe try Elixir Acoustics 12+ if you want to lessen string noise.

If you were to put a floating pickup on it then I'd say 100% go for Flatwounds.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Pre 1970 acoustic guitars were often strung with Monel metal strings rather than bronze wound.

They strongly resemble electric guitar strings.   :o

They do produce a different sound to modernish bronzewound.

Nick Drake played and recorded Monel quite a lot .

When logic and proportion
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    Martin Retro Monel strings are period-correct.