What strings for an old Gibson L50?

I've got an old Gibson L50 like the one pictured on Reverb, below. When I got it, it seemed to be set up with a heavy set of electric strings (maybe 12s), which can't be right.

I imagine it would have been a set of flatwound strings, but I don't have any experience with flatwounds. Can someone recommend a set that this guitar would have shipped with? Seems kinda fragile and I'm a little worried about putti

https://reverb.com/uk/p/gibson-l-50-f-hole-1935-1971?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4-n5xt_G6AIVFuDtCh3Xrg46EAQYASABEgKQtvD_BwE&hfid=19302389&merchant_id=118043958&utm_campaign=1726164661&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 196
    edited April 2020
    As far as I can figure out, 1930s American guitar strings would likely be roundwound nickel or Monel, as both flatwounds and bronze acoustic strings only started to be popular a little later than that.
    I have a Kalamazoo KG21, a lower budget 30s archtop made by Gibson, and I've found that lighter strings really don't get the full sound out of it, and with the chunky neck and arched top it holds up just fine with a medium 13-56 set. The John Pearse pure nickel acoustic strings are nice for a mellower, earthier sound and are probably more authentic, but I like the way it sounds with modern phosphor bronze strings too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    cgumtree said:
    I've got an old Gibson L50 like the one pictured on Reverb, below. When I got it, it seemed to be set up with a heavy set of electric strings (maybe 12s), which can't be right.
    They're probably Monels - nickel-wound acoustic strings, very similar to electric strings, and once again fashionable for more vintage acoustic sounds. Probably fairly appropriate. Most archtops, especially lower-range ones, sound far too brash with bronze strings, particularly lighter gauges.

cgumtree said:

I imagine it would have been a set of flatwound strings, but I don't have any experience with flatwounds. Can someone recommend a set that this guitar would have shipped with? Seems kinda fragile
    Not at all, they were designed when 12s were probably the lightest acoustic gauge, and 13s or 14s would be more normal on archtops, for maximum volume - no string bending.

I would put either 12 or 13 gauge Monels on it. It sounds like the last owner knew what they were doing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Another vote for Monels.  I have them on an old Hofner Archtop (Martin 13's).  They are still reasonably bright so keep the guitar lively and you don't get the harsh overtones that brass strings can give on archtops.  I've not had success with flat wounds on acoustic archtops ... just sound dull to me.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    @db1 might have some suggestions?
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Well, I've struggled with this one as well, and not really come to terms with it yet. Funnily enough though, my next set are going to be Monels, having done a little reading about it.
    Call me Dave.