Vibrato while bending?

What's Hot
tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
Anybody got some good structured exercises to develop this?

Mine is rubbish.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    this may help? There is some discussion of vibrato whilst bending in there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    JohnCordy said:
    this may help? There is some discussion of vibrato whilst bending in there!
    Great, thanks, will check it out
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    ^^ structured practice like that does work :+1: get the metronome out and focus on making the right movements :) 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Am I the only one who thinks heavy mid-bend vibrato is utterly horrible?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Yep. It sounds like the player can’t bend accurately. It’s one thing making a note sing, which often involves gradually increasing vibrato, but wobbling in the general area of the right note sounds amateur to my ears.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    There's a fix to that @stickyfiddle and @Roland - accurate bending, and consistent vibrato (i.e. you bend to your target note, and you slightly release the bend and return to target) this way it doesn't sound like just bending sharp! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    edited April 2020
    JohnCordy said:
    There's a fix to that @stickyfiddle and @Roland - accurate bending, and consistent vibrato (i.e. you bend to your target note, and you slightly release the bend and return to target) this way it doesn't sound like just bending sharp! 
    Nah, it's not that. I don't like it when guitar masters do it either.

I think it just bring up visions of Zakk Wylde et al shredding and making faces. I'm not a fan of general vibrato in general. It's way overused and seen as a marker of a "good" guitarist, which I don't think it necessarily is.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Hey, I'd settle for even a subtle mid bend vibrato.. I'm fine with non bent notes (just fine, not great) but I just can't make a bent note work. It sounds like my finger is about to give way.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Another tip is focus on not applying too much downward pressure on the string. Press down as gently as you would for a normal fretted note and then just move the string across the fret when you bend. Then work your vibrato from here. I used to press down way too hard when I bent up which made it impossible to control
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    JD Simo in his truefire course does a great thing on bending/finger strength/vibrato and basically bemoans how few people can hold a bent note to pitch any more. It's very interesting. 

Essentially you can't have nice vibrato if it's not controlled vibrato and it's not controlled vibrato if you don't have the finger strength to make it do what you want. So work on holding bends to certain pitches for a bit. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    Angus young is the master of this. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The best way to learn to Ben accurarately and develop a decent vibrato is to turn your guitar down to zero and bend a note to target, bringing the volume up you should be at the target note, if not then ask yourself why not. Decent musical vibrato is best accomplished acoustically and with a very relaxed hand and wrist, too tense and it tends to sound unmusical 
    I have to say, bending and holding a string to pitch isnt nearly as much an issue as vibrato.

The whole reason I'm trying to work on vibrato is that I'm at the point where my bent notes need something interesting added to them.

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4094
    When doing vibrato,  make sure it aligns to the tempo of the song in some way.  Sounds really odd when people do it against thr tempo. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited April 2020
    Not sure if it's of any use to you but I posted some stuff on the thread at the link below a while ago
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/173044/ok-about-time-i-tried-to-learn-vibrato#latest

It's not a competition.
    tekbow said:
    I have to say, bending and holding a string to pitch isnt nearly as much an issue as vibrato.

The whole reason I'm trying to work on vibrato is that I'm at the point where my bent notes need something interesting added to them.

The idea is that holding it at pitch for a sustained period is going to build the finger strength to have the control to work your vibrato how you want it. 

In terms of interest to bent notes I'm a fan of over bends and intentional underbends and overbending an already bent note up a semitone. It's pretty much the only bit of technique I have so rinse it repeatedly. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I still don't get it. I can bend notes and hold pitch well enough, but any attempt at vibrato just sounds terrible. Musicians make it sing, mine just sounds all kinds of wrong. 
    Have you recorded it and listened back to it to decide in what way it sounds wrong? 

axisus said:
    I still don't get it. I can bend notes and hold pitch well enough, but any attempt at vibrato just sounds terrible. Musicians make it sing, mine just sounds all kinds of wrong. 
    Yup, this is me.

soma1975 said:
    Have you recorded it and listened back to it to decide in what way it sounds wrong? 
    Its just not musical in anyway. The modulation in pitch is inconsistent and all over the place