Fret buzz - high fret vs low fret

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
String chokes out fretting 9th fret or below and plays cleanly at 10th

Fret rocker shows wobble across 9-10-11 and 10-11-12

I’m assuming if 9th was low (rather than 10th being high) then 8th fret should play cleanly?

So for 9-10-11 to rock, 10th must be high?

..but 10-11-12 also rocks and 10th fret plays cleanly ..and that I can’t get my head around - if 11 was even higher than 10, then why am I not getting chocking at 10th fret 

I’m about to get busy with a fret file, so in the words of Penelope Pitstop - Heylup!
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Have you tried tapping the frets down with a dead blow, brass or nylon hammer first? You may have one or two frets unseated a little. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Sarge said:
    Have you tried tapping the frets down with a dead blow, brass or nylon hammer first? You may have one or two frets unseated a little. 
    Yep - planning on that as step 1, but assuming the issue remains, I just want to sense check my thinking - don’t want to file the wrong fret 
  • sub'd

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Sounds like 10 may be *much* higher than 9, and 11 *slightly* higher than 10. So both are too high, 11 worse than 10, but not by much.

Check they're not loose before you do any tapping or filing, or you'll either achieve nothing or make the problem worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
    Are you sure that there isn't a back-bow on the neck?
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    edited April 2020
    Cheers gents

@adey 0.08” at the 7th so no back bow, but a good shout 

@ICBM - thanks for the info - agree high 10 and higher 11 seems most likely and will check for loose frets

• What's the consensus here about whether fret levelling should be done with the neck dead straight or normal playing relief. ?
    It's puzzled me for long time
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    What's the consensus here about whether fret levelling should be done with the neck dead straight or normal playing relief. ?
    It depends what you're trying to achieve, but it should *not* be done with forward relief - that will mean that you dress the end frets too heavily and produce a hump in the middle when it's back under string tension.

It either needs to be done with the neck straight, or with it very slightly back-bowed so that you end up with a very slight hollow in the middle if you're trying to fix a neck which is too straight or back-bowed under string tension even with the truss rod slack.

For what it's worth I almost always do a 'taper dress' - a bit like a compound radius fingerboard, but with the frets. The most wear is usually in the low positions and the least in the high, so if you just dress out the wear to the minimum possible amount while keeping the tops level, you end up with the frets lower at the nut end than at the top of the neck - this is a good thing, because it makes open chords play more in tune but makes it easier for your fingers to grip the strings when doing big bends high up. (It's also the least amount of work! But that's not a bad thing.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    What's the consensus here about whether fret levelling should be done with the neck dead straight or normal playing relief. ?
    I always thought it should be done on a dead straight neck.