This will mean nothing to any of you but I’ve finally come out!

What's Hot

Comments

• Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Well done, be true to yourself and happy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited April 2020
    ICBM said:
    Worth remembering,too, that this forum is made up of (probably!) a decent proportion of your peers, i.e people who are of a similar age and can therefore remember clearly the prejudices that would have existed in your youth (if not today too, sadly, in some quarters)....so perhaps the very peers you may have thought for years would reject you are noisily endorsing what you've done, despite any negative social programming that was around over the years.....for that we should commend everyone.This forum is indeed a great place. 
    Indeed. While I am straight, I found it interesting that a lot of the boys who I was friendly with at junior school - generally the more intellectual, less sporty ones (I was never sporty really) were many of those who later turned out to be gay. I didn't stop being friends with them.

I also remember having the piss taken out of me - not by any of those boys, but by more of the 'cool' music crowd - for liking bands like Bronski Beat and Soft Cell, when they were thought of as 'gay music' rather than just 'music by people who happened to be gay'.

The irony is that this was at a minor English public school .
    That is the prejudice I faced when admitting to people in my circle that I like 80’s synth pop, they are into thrash and heavy metal (as am I) and would say to me, are you Gay or something? Well, yes, I am! But not because I like a certain genre of music. I could never understand the mentality that liking a certain genre of music would affect your sexuality.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    zepp76 said:
    At the ripe old age of 44  I have finally come out to my family and friends as bisexual with more of a leaning towards gay. It has been the scariest thing I have ever done what with the old fashioned and religious outlook some of my family have. I have decided in these rather scary times that it’s my time to be free of the shackles of secrecy and I just want to shout it from the roof tops! So far I have been met with kindness and support from those close to me, I should have done this a long time ago and wish I had the chance to tell my father before he died but I just didn’t have the confidence to do so. I know this will not really mean much to any of you but I just want the world to know, I’m OUT and proud. That is all, thank you.
    I can't imagine how difficult to must be have all the familial pressures and expectations as described, so coming out must have required great strength to you.

Best of luck for your future happiness regarding this situation and once the lockdown is over, embrace Grindr (other apps are also available) like there is no tomorrow.
    zepp76 said:
    At the ripe old age of 44  I have finally come out to my family and friends as bisexual with more of a leaning towards gay. It has been the scariest thing I have ever done what with the old fashioned and religious outlook some of my family have. I have decided in these rather scary times that it’s my time to be free of the shackles of secrecy and I just want to shout it from the roof tops! So far I have been met with kindness and support from those close to me, I should have done this a long time ago and wish I had the chance to tell my father before he died but I just didn’t have the confidence to do so. I know this will not really mean much to any of you but I just want the world to know, I’m OUT and proud. That is all, thank you.
    I can't imagine how difficult to must be have all the familial pressures and expectations as described, so coming out must have required great strength to you.

Best of luck for your future happiness regarding this situation and once the lockdown is over, embrace Grindr (other apps are also available) like there is no tomorrow.
    Oh no, when this is all over I’m going back to Italy to take a punt on hooking up with the Italian waiter I had a vibe with! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1170
    happy for you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fair play to you. People who matter don’t mind, and people who mind don’t matter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Good for you Geezer, glad you feel able =)

Hope the closet exit and the new Gaff are both going well ;)
    When logic and proportion
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Congrats. Our band play a local Gay pride festival each summer. You have nothing to fear here. You are like that Bowie fella, it did him no harm. Go enjoy life, well once we can all leave the house.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    A mate of mine (let’s call him A) still hasn’t been able to come out to his parents. A’s in his 40s, has known he fancied men since his early teens and has never had a girlfriend. But his parents are Greek Cypriot and expect him to be macho so he’s never had *that* conversation with his dad, even though it must be screamingly obvious to A’s old man. 

The funniest thing is, A’s live in partner is the campest gay guy you’d ever hope to meet. We were having a chat recently about whether A had managed to talk to his dad yet, his partner said “He must’ve guessed by now. Firstly there’s..... me. Secondly, we only have two bedrooms and he must have noticed we share when he stayed with us last time. Thirdly, there’s all the cushions on the sofa... covered in pictures of naked firemen.”  
    9reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HeelHeel Frets: 271
    Congrats!  =)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Well go back inside..we're on lockdown you know!

In seriousness though congrats hopefully a weight lifted off your mind. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18383
    Good for you :)
    I know from your earlier posts that life hasn't always been that kind to you.
    Now that you have a new place to live & have come to terms with the real 'you', more good things can start to happen :+1: 

edited April 2020
    Good for you Geezer, glad you feel able

Hope the closet exit and the new Gaff are both going well
    Thank you, the closet exit is going well but the new place is a no go. There are no workers to finish the flats because of the virus so I’m stuck in this three bedroom house trying to keep up on the rent. The new place before the virus was delayed anyway because the workmen who put in all the door frames some how messed them all up so every flat has to have the door frames ripped out and replaced! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    Good for you
    Now that you have a new place to live & have come to terms with the real 'you', more good things can start to happen 1 

@Kittyfisk sorry I typed the reply to the other post before seeing yours, the new place is a no go for now as you have possibly read above. Very upsetting in all honesty.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18383
    zepp76 said:
    Good for you
    Now that you have a new place to live & have come to terms with the real 'you', more good things can start to happen 1 

@Kittyfisk sorry I typed the reply to the other post before seeing yours, the new place is a no go for now as you have possibly read above. Very upsetting in all honesty.
    Awww shite, I hadn't read that.
    Do you think that you get some temporary 'bridging' help due to the move stalling not being down to you?
    Hoping to hear some good news from you soon.
    Cheers.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Just thought I'd share this with you, @zepp76 ;
    My ex is gay. We'd been together 12 years and she came out a few months after we split, and it made me happier about the breakup. I'm chuffed that she had the guts to tell me (she got in contact as she wanted me to hear it first hand) and that by breaking up with me she could be true to herself and not feel 'trapped'. She's in a happier place now, as am I.
    My niece is gay. She came out to us in her late teens, before she told her parents. As soon as she told as we said "well that took you long enough" as we'd suspected for years. You may find that your friends and family may have had suspicions but would never have asked you for fear of offending you. It's possible that in some way your coming out helps them as well as you.
    All the best, fella.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6597
    Coming out is the best choice you could possibly make. Mazel tov. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Argh, zepp, that is a real kicker on the flat, I know how much it means to you - hopefully all will be settled soon.

Be yourself, and be happy  :)

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Well done man, that's the nicest thing I've read in days.
    Be really happy.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Lovely update! All the best to you. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom