Why is 'Independence Day' probably the most inspirational mainstream movie eve made?

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Battlefield Earth.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I remember that bit in the film where the Tall Guy gives the alien ships computer a virus .... I mean how ? did he join their wi fi , connect to an available ethernet port ..... it still keeps me up at night sometimes because I need to know !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Danny1969 said:
    I remember that bit in the film where the Tall Guy gives the alien ships computer a virus .... I mean how ? did he join their wi fi , connect to an available ethernet port ..... it still keeps me up at night sometimes because I need to know !
    the bigger question is how did Andy Dusfresne put the poster back over the escape tunnel in The Shawshank Redemption?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Because there... are some people... who want the US... president... to sound... like Captain Kirk... with a sore............... throat. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    IT WAS AN APRIL FOOL, YOU CLOWNS!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    Hattigol said:
    IT WAS AN APRIL FOOL, YOU CLOWNS!

In their defence, it's bloody hard to tell with Ted's OPs :)
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    tony99 said:
    Danny1969 said:
    the bigger question is how did Andy Dusfresne put the poster back over the escape tunnel in The Shawshank Redemption?

you just ruined tha film for me. Thanks
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    tony99 said:
    What is Independence Day supposed to inspire us to do?
    Turn the TV off, get off the couch and do something better? 
  • TedTed Frets: 126
    Ted said:
    TheMarlin said:
    It’s not the worst movie ever, but it is pretty mindless rubbish. It’s the Eastenders of Sci Fi. 
    Hasn’t aged well, poor script, implausible finale. 

Generally agreed particularly in terms of special effects.

But as a Concept movie it remains the king IMHO.
    You have not watched many Concept movies then. 
    Perhaps not many movies at all...
    Ok - admit I have little or no idea what I am talking about. And the original question may have been a bit of a pisstake.

But I maintain in terms of the thrilling simplicity and drive of it's story line there is very little else to match it in the modern popcorn genre. All these Marvel comic adaptations don't really do it for me.

For those who continue to disrespect this work of art - there is something called 'Suspension of disbelief' - and technically... it could actually happen.

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    tony99 said:
    What is Independence Day supposed to inspire us to do?
    Turn the TV off, get off the couch and do something better? 

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    No opinion because nothing I've seen or heard about it has tempted me to watch it.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Jeff Goldblum's utterly unique cadence alone is beyond inspirational. And I mean it. Love the man.
    No opinion because nothing I've seen or heard about it has tempted me to watch it.
    it's got Randy Quaid in it, surely that's enough?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    phil_b said:
    tony99 said:
    Danny1969 said:

He just lifted the bottom climbed through the hole and let it fall covering the hole.
    munckee said:
    phil_b said:
    tony99 said:
    Danny1969 said:

He just lifted the bottom climbed through the hole and let it fall covering the hole.
    it's clearly attached at the bottom when the governor throws the rock through it, when he does the "oh lord, it's a miracle" bit which never fails to give me a giggle ...."like a fart in the wind" hahaha
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    tony99 said:

Barely know who he is tbh. From a quick skim through his IMDB filmography, I've seen Midnight Express but a long time ago and I don't remember much detail.  Certainly not him.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    tony99 said:

Barely know who he is tbh. From a quick skim through his IMDB filmography, I've seen Midnight Express but a long time ago and I don't remember much detail.  Certainly not him.
    oh come on, he's Cousin Eddie from the national lampoons vacation films, and the Amish guy in Kingpin
  • tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

oh come on, he's Cousin Eddie from the national lampoons vacation films, and the Amish guy in Kingpin
    He was also in Home Alone and Total Recall. Even though in that one he insists that he is not Quaid.

Bye!

• adaminoadamino Frets: 128
    edited April 2020
    That film was sensationalist American hero garbage made by a German.
    The most American films are always made by non Americans like the Scot Brothers.Remember top gun?

Ill never forget that stupid scene in Independence day when the President of America was flying the jet fighter towards the UFO and took a shot at it and one of his co fighter pilot squaddie buddies called out "nice shot Mr President.

Jesus H imagine Boris Johnson flying a spitfire

• Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom