Is this headstock repair dodgy?

What's Hot
BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
Looking at buying this guitar, and the seller has been up front about it having had a headstock repair. Although I don't know how concerned about it I should be! Pics...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    Probably. It almost certainly hasn’t been done by a professional, anyway...

It has at least been clamped pretty tightly by the look of it, but the question is what glue has been used - if it’s the wrong type (eg PVA) then not only will it probably come apart again, it will be almost impossible to clean the wood up well enough to use the right type.

If you’re thinking of buying the guitar, you need to take into account the possible cost of a full professional splint or scarf joint re-repair, plus refinish - then double that, and take it off the final value of the repaired guitar, if it’s to be a safe purchase.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    Any repair like this should reduce the price hugely, so unless you are getting a great price, walk away or negotiate hard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Probably. It almost certainly hasn’t been done by a professional, anyway...

It has at least been clamped pretty tightly by the look of it, but the question is what glue has been used - if it’s the wrong type (eg PVA) then not only will it probably come apart again, it will be almost impossible to clean the wood up well enough to use the right type.

If you’re thinking of buying the guitar, you need to take into account the possible cost of a full professional splint or scarf joint re-repair, plus refinish - then double that, and take it off the final value of the repaired guitar, if it’s to be a safe purchase.
    totally endorse that

Very hard to hide any repair work to a potential buyer with a good eye - But it can be repaired by a professional tech that will make it secure - But any finish touch up will always add extra cost and generally still leave some signs of such work carried out

ref that pic - I've seen worse, but I'd expect far better
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Who repaired it?  .....David Blunkett
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    and the seller has been up front about it having had a headstock repair.

How noble of him. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I think I'll give it a miss then!

Shame, it was a great price for a Super Swede (I think I can tell why).
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

From my perspective (which is usually fairly skewed, I admit...), I would totally endorse @ICBM and @guitars4you, other than to add - if it's uber-cheap, go for it (but I suspect it isn't?)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/