Netflix and other streaming recommendations for the lockin?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
Post your recommendations here for Netflix /Amazon etc content to help get us through and keep us sane during the current lockdown.

I've got a handful so far:

Netflix: What If  indie romcom with Daniel Radcliffe and Zoe Kazan. Lovely little film with a feelgood vibe. One to lift the spirits.

Netflix: Lovesick Hilarious TV romcom series starring Johnny Flynn as a chap who's been diagnosed with Chlamydia who has to contact all his previous sexual partners to warn them. To be honest I wasn't expecting much from this but it is so funny and the supporting cast are just superb that I binge watched the first four episode with my wife. Kudos to Joshua McGuire who is on top comedy form here. The episode where he gets high on 'shrooms' is just crazy funny.

Amazon Prime: Picard Absolute top notch science fiction. I wasn't sure what to expect with the series but is has blown my socks off. Exciting and poignant in equal measure with some real kick-ass scenes (Seven Of Nine's intro for instance). Patrick Stewart has such an incredible depth as Picard and the series really does live up to the hype. Essential viewing.

What recommendations do you have to keep the old spirits up?... an hey lets stay away from all those pandemic movies in this thread please.
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    If you've never watched Ozark I would watch that.  Sinner is good but a little disturbing, Godless if you like westerns is a great series.  The Boys on Amazon prime is best super hero thing I've seen.

Stranger Things obvs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I've gone back and catching up with later series of Homeland , which are rather good
    Also have Orphan Black on my list to catch up with.

Line of Duty from the BBC was good if you didn't see it before

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited April 2020 tFB Trader

equalsql said:

Amazon Prime: Picard Absolute top notch science fiction. I wasn't sure what to expect with the series but is has blown my socks off. Exciting and poignant in equal measure with some real kick-ass scenes (Seven Of Nine's intro for instance). Patrick Stewart has such an incredible depth as Picard and the series really does live up to the hype. Essential viewing.

Picard has been very good - actually better than most of Star Trek TNG ever was - more "gravitas" to it whilst feeling familiar. And it feels a bit more "HBO" rather than a PG rated show 

In much the same way that The Mandalorian has been more satisfying than much of the Star Wars offerings

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Two light hearted but very funny comedies on Netflix:

The Good Place---a woman dies and wakes up in "the good place". Hilarity ensues (genuinely). This has the unique mix of being easy watching, touching, and very funny. There are genuine spoilers so if you haven't watched it don't read about it, just put it on.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I assumed this would be your standard terrible US police comedy but some genuinely brilliant characters totally make this. Andy Samberg is a bit irritating but is just about charming enough to get through it. 

A very, very funny and very crude cartoon:

Big Mouth - bunch of kids hit puberty. Their hormones become personified as monsters that interact with them. There are musical numbers with dancing cocks. Watch ten minutes, you'll either be crying with laughter or reaching for the off switch. One of the funniest things I've seen in years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2399
    Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and El Camino (in that order).

Haunting of Hill House as well (get up to speed before the new series releases).

Altered Carbon (season 1 is much better than season 2 IMO).
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    The best series ever are (in no order);

- This Is Us**
    - Breaking Bad*
    - The Wire*
    - The Shield*
    - The Sopranos*
    - Justified
    - Outlander
    - Peaky Blinders**
    - Schmidt Creek
    - Stranger Things

* must see
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    We just binge watched "The End of the F***ing World" which is brilliant. Teenagers on the run one of whom may or may not be a psycho and music by Graham Coxon.

"I am not OK with this" is by the same writer and director, but set in the US and is also great. A bit of a "Carrie" type vibe.

"The Good Place" is possibly my favourite sitcom of all time it's superb and very deep for a comedy show

If you haven't watched the "Galactica" from about 10 years ago it's probably my favourite Sci Fi or all time.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Happy on Netflix.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I’ll not mention the obvious big hitters ( and away with your superheroes, let’s have some old man telly):

Portrait Artist of the Year ( Sky/ Now) is uplifting TV and if you want to see inside Nile Rodgers’ house skip to the last episode. Okay it’s a bit like Bake Off with pictures but more serious than that sounds. 

I also watched all of Shrill ( BBC iPlayer) which I suspect is aimed at adolescent girls but it’s funny ( and quite rude) and when it’s going into schmaltz it knows it and pulls itself back. It also features Lolly Adefope whom I worship from afar. 

If you’ve never watched The Tunnel ( Sky/ Now) it’s an Anglo French reworking of The Bridge and is an excellent thriller. 

Also Anglo French and also on Sky/ Now is War of the Worlds. We have a separate thread somewhere; it’s not cheery and is not true to the cannon but I’m finding it quite gripping. 

I could cheerfully watch all the episodes of Taskmaster ( Dave, available on the UKTV Play app) on a loop until the end of time. It’s knockabout nonsense really but there are genuine golden moments. I even watch the outtakes on YouTube. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited April 2020
    It's not recent, has a very different flavour from most of what's been mentioned so far, but "Call My Agent" on Netflix.  French comedy about an actors' agency and the pomposity and egotism of the agents and their clients - but it's not just heartless satire there's some serious emotional content as well.   Many cameo appearances by the creme de la creme of French acting talent as big names queued up to take the piss out themselves. 

Appreciate a gentle French sitcom with subtitles may not be for everyone, but if it sounds even remotely like your thing I think it's brilliant, entertaining and feel-good,
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    We've just got Disney+, which seems to have a lot if you prefer the more lightweight/family-oriented type of stuff.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    FarleyUK said:
    Altered Carbon (season 1 is much better than season 2 IMO).

Yep, they really dropped the ball on season 2 as they strayed well away from the 2nd book Broken Angels which was a really solid novel.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Netflix

A lot of those ^^^^ mentioned already plus ....

Narcos & Narcos Mexico

Mindhunter

Ragnarok (Danish with subtitles) was far better than expected.

Sex Education is a hoot and a half.

Star Trek Discover & Lost in Space are also good.

Amazon

Another +1 for Picard

Vikings is ruddy awesome

Black Sails is a good pirate yarn

Bosch if you like police prodedurals and a lot of broody introspection
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2399
    Jalapeno said:

Vikings is ruddy awesome

Black Sails is a good pirate yarn

Vikings is only decent up until twat-face Ivar takes centre stage. Seriously gone downhill since then.

Black Sails is amazing though, good shout! Plus the scenery will help with any lockdown blues :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Huge +1 for The Good Place and Brooklyn 99. Also Parks & Rec is a proper classic, once you get through the occasionally-wobbly first season.

I really enjoyed Mindhunter but bear in mind it's been binned because Netflix can't be trusted to finish anything, so don't get into it if you like stories with a beginning, middle and end... :( 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    ^^ yes Taskmaster! All available on uktv player. It's a series Mrs.L and I have rewatched a few times. We like to pause and try to decide how we would do the task before watching, enjoyable way to pass time :)
    It's not recent, has a very different flavour from most of what's been mentioned so far, but "Call My Agent" on Netflix.  French comedy about an actors' agency and the pomposity and egotism of the agents and their clients - but it's not just heartless satire there's some serious emotional content as well.   Many cameo appearances by the creme de la creme of French acting talent as big names queued up to take the piss out themselves. 

Appreciate a gentle French sitcom with subtitles may not be for everyone, but if it sounds even remotely like your thing I think it's brilliant, entertaining and feel-good,
    I'll give that a go; it can't hurt my utter failure to make progress with learning French.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    We have Netflix

Another thumbs up for Brooklyn Nine-Nine, great cast and great characters. 

Also I have really gotten into Arrested Development, very entertaining sitcom about a dysfunctional previously rich family. Episodes are only about 22 mins so nice bite sized chunks. Also great cast & characters.

Locke & Key is a superb fantasy series, a family discovering 'magic' keys in an old house. Dark undertones, fascinating story.

If anyone still hasn't seen the 3 series of Stranger things - they are a must! Great 80s vibe sci-fi

I'm also enjoying dipping back into old Red Dwarf episodes.

iplayer has the excellent His Dark Materials fantasy series at the moment.

I must be the only one, but I HATED the Vikings. I switched off at the point where one of them sticks his finger up his ass then rubs it around someones mouth as a 'lesson'. Not funny at all, just disgusting.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The Boys on Amazon was brilliant, a dark social commentary dressed up with superheroes, really good

Huge +1 for The Good Place and Brooklyn 99. Also Parks & Rec is a proper classic, once you get through the occasionally-wobbly first season.

I really enjoyed Mindhunter but bear in mind it's been binned because Netflix can't be trusted to finish anything, so don't get into it if you like stories with a beginning, middle and end... :( 

I didn't know Mindhunter had been cancelled. Shame, although it's verging on the traumatic to watch. As my living was, for many years, interviewing offenders  ( lot of sex offenders, the odd murderer, no serial killers) it was almost like a training video ( even if an how not to training video) in parts. 
    Still, there's always another horrific serial killer based series waiting to come along... 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom