Netflix and other streaming recommendations for the lockin?

What's Hot

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5460
    Netflix:
    All of the above, plus
    Criminal UK
    The Stranger
    Inside No.9

Amazon:
    Not much!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Me and my 11 year old got hooked on Hyperdrive (Netflix).

Competitive driving show, lots of neon and smoke of course but some proper heartbreak moments.

I'd rather watch that than serial killer/detective shows.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    there'll be plenty of good recommendations on here for netflix and the like, but don't overlook the iPlayer and channel 4 on demand, that's got the Comic Strip on there with Bad News on Tour and all that stuff
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Me and my 11 year old got hooked on Hyperdrive (Netflix).

Competitive driving show, lots of neon and smoke of course but some proper heartbreak moments.

I'd rather watch that than serial killer/detective shows.

Oh yeah, that's brilliant!

I like the Japanese guy in the police car.
  • Mad Men is on Netflix. Utterly brilliant in every way.

The Bridge is superb. I know someone has already referenced the French/English remake 'The Tunnel'. It's half-decent but not even close to matching the original.

Money Heist is excellent 'leave your brain at the door' entertainment. It's ridiculous, but a real adrenaline ride.

Good Girls on Netflix is a charming and funny comedy. Quite 'girly', one to watch with the missus maybe? 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    All series of Spooks is on iPlayer- currently mid series 2 so we’ve seen the deep fat fryer! Once we have done that, Line of Duty is beckoning 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • Finally started watching Killing Eve which is very good so far (only 4 episodes in)

Wife had never seen Ashes to Ashes so also working through them. 

Breeders
    on Now TV is quite funny but only 4 episodes.

Up to date with Walking Dead - it's still a bit shit. 

Been watching War of the Worlds on Now TV but not sure if I'm actually enjoying it.

I'm Not Ok With This is brilliant.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Finally started watching Killing Eve which is very good so far (only 4 episodes in)

Wife had never seen Ashes to Ashes so also working through them. 

Breeders
    on Now TV is quite funny but only 4 episodes.

Up to date with Walking Dead - it's still a bit shit. 

Been watching War of the Worlds on Now TV but not sure if I'm actually enjoying it.

I'm Not Ok With This is brilliant.
    First series of Killing Eve is tremendous. Series 3 out at Easter. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Netflix, I tend towards historical and sci-fi:

I've just finished Star Trek Discovery. Not perfect but enjoyed.

The Witcher is magnificent.

Knighfall is pretty good for medieval action.

Outlander - a mad, brilliant film about vikings and aliens

I might give Mars a go, anyone watched it?
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2512
    The documentary Satan & Adam a story I did not know and well worth a watch

Also recently watched The Irishman (in 3 parts) Jim & Andy, The Highwaymen and The Revenant all worth a watch imo
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Bernard Cornwall's Last Kingdom is on Netflix, that's worth a watch. New series out at the end of April. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dark is excellent

Locke and Key is very not excellent, avoid 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 612
    About to start Last Kingdom.....already read the books

Also on Netflix/prime have binged and enjoyed

Lucifer 4 seasons
    Outlander (Jacobote rebellion one) 4 seasons
    Jack Ryan 2 seasons
    Thieves in the wood Netflix 1 season
    Witcher 1 season
    CGI Captain scarlet 2 seasons (big Gerry Anderson fan lol)

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    It's not recent, has a very different flavour from most of what's been mentioned so far, but "Call My Agent" on Netflix.  French comedy about an actors' agency and the pomposity and egotism of the agents and their clients - but it's not just heartless satire there's some serious emotional content as well.   Many cameo appearances by the creme de la creme of French acting talent as big names queued up to take the piss out themselves. 

Appreciate a gentle French sitcom with subtitles may not be for everyone, but if it sounds even remotely like your thing I think it's brilliant, entertaining and feel-good,
    I'll give that a go; it can't hurt my utter failure to make progress with learning French.

Interested to hear what you make of it.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • It's not recent, has a very different flavour from most of what's been mentioned so far, but "Call My Agent" on Netflix.  French comedy about an actors' agency and the pomposity and egotism of the agents and their clients - but it's not just heartless satire there's some serious emotional content as well.   Many cameo appearances by the creme de la creme of French acting talent as big names queued up to take the piss out themselves. 

Appreciate a gentle French sitcom with subtitles may not be for everyone, but if it sounds even remotely like your thing I think it's brilliant, entertaining and feel-good,
    I'll give that a go; it can't hurt my utter failure to make progress with learning French.

Sounds quite like my cup of tea! My gf is French so sounds like it would be a good thing to watch together if and when we're ever allowed to see each other again! 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    I’m waiting for Cobra Kai season III 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    It's not recent, has a very different flavour from most of what's been mentioned so far, but "Call My Agent" on Netflix.  French comedy about an actors' agency and the pomposity and egotism of the agents and their clients - but it's not just heartless satire there's some serious emotional content as well.   Many cameo appearances by the creme de la creme of French acting talent as big names queued up to take the piss out themselves. 

Sounds quite like my cup of tea! My gf is French so sounds like it would be a good thing to watch together if and when we're ever allowed to see each other again! 
    I watched the first episode last night. With Cécile de France as herself/ the main cameo, I guess it would have worked better for me if I was more aware of who she was although it didn’t effect the plot. There was also a lot of setting things up going on but then it’s a first episode. 
    I think I was waiting for it to become a bit darker or a bit sexier or ruder or something, not because I wanted it to or it should it’s just that I think we are set up now to think that’s what happens. But it just has it’s own thing going own so it’s quite old fashioned in that way whilst looking amazing because visually it has the quality more akin to French cinema than a US/ U.K. sitcom. 
    And there were several words of French I actually recognised so I’ll carry on with it, many thanks @Blueingreen ;
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    edited April 2020
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    To be fair there’s quite a lot of that, the majority of the cameo appearances are people who don’t have much of a reputation in the English speaking world, but I actually quite liked getting to meet these people who are obviously household names in France. Plus there’s a good sprinkling of French actors who are international stars. It’s amazing how willing some of them are to send themselves up.

It probably takes 3 or 4 episodes to get properly in its stride, though having watched all the series twice I’m a bit vague about how it was at the start.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    edited April 2020
    Both on Amazon Prime:

Roadies: Following a band on their tour of the USA. There is only 1 season.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3580212249?playlistId=tt4270458&ref_=tt_ov_vi

Red Oaks: “A coming-of-age comedy set in the "go-go" 80s about a college student enjoying a last hurrah before summer comes to an end--and the future begins.”

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4270458/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom