Pick handling

Any tips for hanging on to the pick when playing fast rhythm parts?  I find the resistance from the strings means I am constantly shifting the pick around in my fingers. I am using a Dunlop 1.0 pick, are there any tips for a bit of stability or is it just a case of practice, practice? Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    The pick shouldn't be gripped too tightly, but not so loose that it can move around excessively. Without seeing how you're playing, it's difficult to say what the actual cause might be. Since you mention the resistance of the strings, you may be hitting them too hard (in which case it would be worth experimenting with hitting them more softly) or you're digging the pick too far into the strings (so try pulling the pick back to skim the strings more). This could possibly all be as a result of tensing up when playing faster, so it may be worth slowing the tempo to see if this changes things. As an aside, I know a player who uses Gorilla Snot (a drummer's aid) to stop his pick slipping when he gets sweaty hands.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Picking technique, pick size and shape, and drilling holes have all helped me

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    Roland said:
    Picking technique, pick size and shape, and drilling holes have all helped me

I was literally about to suggest this

I use Gravity picks and I drill little 0.8mm holes in them in a triangle formation. Helps immensely :)
  • Many thanks everyone, very useful
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Had this problem when gigging and you get a bit sweaty under the lights...found the Jazz IIIs with the grip are pretty good. Another thing which really helped was something our drummer had - basically some sort of chalk dust - comes as a liquid, you rub a bit between your fingers to solidify it and it helps your grip no end. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Try an old fashioned plaster on the pick .
  • What’s the worse that can happen? You drop your pick? You just grab another. I find that I drop picks maybe one in 20 gigs. And once I drop it once, I will drop it all the time! 

It is annoying that they rotate in your fingers, tho. As above, drill holes, get max grip picks etc. The V picks seem particularly good at staying still.