What 6V6's are we buying these days?

DodgeDodge Frets: 1437
edited April 2020 in Amps
I tend to go for JJ's for output tubes - but it's been a while since I had anything with 6V6's in.

Are they ok?  Not that it matters as nobody will know the amp, but they'll be going in a Frenzel Deluxe Plus. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    I like JJs, in I have them in my Jim Kelley because they agree with the very very high plate voltages in that amp. And they sound good. I also like tungsols and electro-harmonix.
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    Been using JJs on my Deluxe Reverb for years now.
    Tried a pair of old Brimars but I prefer the JJs there. The Brimars are great on my 5E3.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Quite like Tungsols in my 5E3 Deluxe.  Not tried JJ's in there.  I've got various NOS 6V6's that I've paired up got good results with.

• brooom said:
    I like JJs, in I have them in my Jim Kelley because they agree with the very very high plate voltages in that amp. And they sound good. I also like tungsols and electro-harmonix.
    I’ve just bought some JJ’s as eventual replacements for the EHX currently in my deluxe reverb. Never tried them before, and not unhappy with the current ones, I just couldn’t get like-for-like, and I was advised that the JJs were more likely to tolerate being swapped straight in if it’s a while before I can get them to a tech for proper biasing. I’ve had good experiences of JJ preamp valves and EL84’s. 
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1437
    Thanks all.  @brooom - very envious of the Jim Kelley.  Dibs please.  :-)
    I'm a long time fan of blackface fender amps. I've had loads of 60s originals through the years. Love them all. The Jim Kelley is very different, but at the same time allows you to get sounds of some of your favourite classics with a syrupy midrange. It's probably a new favourite of mine. Many people don't realise but Jim is an Electronics Engineer and UCI Physics and Astronomy. 

He actually was lab manager for many years, what he achieves in his circuits, is thoroughly tested to achieve very precise results. He knew exactly what he was doing when he designed these amps.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Currently using the following 6V6’s:

5E3 Deluxe clone - Tung Sol
    Princeton Reverb - 2 different brands but quite well matched according to my Orange valve tester 

I’m using JJ EL84’s in my Matchless because it came with JJ’s installed and they have a reputation for withstanding tough operating conditions (Matchless deliberately bias their output valves very hot).

I’ve yet to try JJ 6V6’s.

It’s fair to say that not everyone likes JJs, but you could say that about anything, particularly on an Internet forum!
    brooom said:
    I'm a long time fan of blackface fender amps. I've had loads of 60s originals through the years. Love them all. The Jim Kelley is very different, but at the same time allows you to get sounds of some of your favourite classics with a syrupy midrange.

I came very close to buying one in Chandlers (I tbink) around 20 years ago.  Bloody loved it but it was money I didn't have at the time.  Still kicking myself....

I'm surprised there aren't more clones out there - the schematics are freely available.

Keefy said:

It’s fair to say that not everyone likes JJs, but you could say that about anything, particularly on an Internet forum!

I've got their EL84's in the 60's AC30's and I think they're fine.  I find JJ preamp valves are a bit 'thicker' than other manufacturers, I'm not sure they really suit the Voxes.  My old Matchless had them in the preamp and power amp, and I ended up swapping the preamp valves for NOS.

Thanks all.

@Dodge - I think the reason is that despite the fact that it's widely accepted they're great amps, there's one detail which sort of puts a lot of people off, which is the fact that they're associated with power tube failure. Because for many years there were limited available types of tubes which could actually deal with the plate voltages they're designed around. JJs mitigate that issue with great results.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Dodge said:
    Keefy said:

I've got their EL84's in the 60's AC30's and I think they're fine.  I find JJ preamp valves are a bit 'thicker' than other manufacturers, I'm not sure they really suit the Voxes.  My old Matchless had them in the preamp and power amp, and I ended up swapping the preamp valves for NOS.

Yeah I think I've got a Sylvania in V1 of my Lightning at the moment.
    brooom said:
    @Dodge - I think the reason is that despite the fact that it's widely accepted they're great amps, there's one detail which sort of puts a lot of people off, which is the fact that they're associated with power tube failure. Because for many years there were limited available types of tubes which could actually deal with the plate voltages they're designed around. JJs mitigate that issue with great results.

You're not helping my bank balance @brooom ; ;-)  And you've still got that bloody Duojet up.  Grrrrr.  ;-)

It's probably a good job Kelley's are like hen's teeth or I'd be in the poor house.
    Keefy said:
    Yeah I think I've got a Sylvania in V1 of my Lightning at the moment.

I think I had the same in my Lightning actually.  Great amps.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    In my experience, JJ 6V6s are big and bold, almost like 6L6s.
    Lebarque said:
    Hmm, that's not actually what I want. It has 6L6s in there already.

Might try Tung Sol instead.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    brooom said:
    I'm a long time fan of blackface fender amps. I've had loads of 60s originals through the years. Love them all. The Jim Kelley is very different, but at the same time allows you to get sounds of some of your favourite classics with a syrupy midrange. It's probably a new favourite of mine. Many people don't realise but Jim is an Electronics Engineer and UCI Physics and Astronomy. 

He actually was lab manager for many years, what he achieves in his circuits, is thoroughly tested to achieve very precise results. He knew exactly what he was doing when he designed these amps.
    I’ve never heard of Jim Kelley before. Am off to YouTube/ Google! Cheers @brooom ;

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    Dodge said:
    Lebarque said:
    Hmm, that's not actually what I want. It has 6L6s in there already.

Might try Tung Sol instead.

They will sound different depending on your output transformer primary impedance, JJ 6V6 vs JJ 6L6 do not sound the same in a deluxe circuit and the power output is different.