Anyone got a spare allen key for an early 2000s US strat truss rod?

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 600
I'm not sure if these are a different size to usual but the truss nut is very deep inside the hole at the headstock so none of my standard Allen keys can get to it! 
I did manage to get one in there but could feel it slipping so want to be sure I've got the right size. 
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7014
    edited April 2020 tFB Trader
    You need a 1/8" Allen key. Don't be tempted to use a 3mm one, this risks wrecking the truss rod nut and they are expensive to replace.

The best are the ones that Fender sell for the job with 2 long sides.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14184
    tFB Trader
    You need a 1/8" Allen key. Don't be tempted to use a 3mm one, this risks wrecking the truss rod nut and they are expensive to replace.

The best are the ones that Fender sell for the job with 2 long sides.
    valid point on a 3mm v a 1/8" - I have tipex plastered all over my 1/8" so I know which it is for those USA jobs
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    hassleham said:
    I'm not sure if these are a different size to usual but the truss nut is very deep inside the hole at the headstock so none of my standard Allen keys can get to it! 
    I did manage to get one in there but could feel it slipping so want to be sure I've got the right size. 
    Very likely you've been using a 3mm one - as Steve said, don't do this! Hopefully you haven't knackered it already.

This is what you need:

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/products/genuine-fender-1-8-hex-allen-truss-rod-adjustment-wrench

These are the best not only because they're the right size but because the short end is longer than normal, so they're easily identifiable as well as more easily reaching the adjuster nut and the neck tilt (which is the same size).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hasslehamhassleham Frets: 600
    Cheers guys! Have ordered one @ICBM thanks