The Joy of Facebook Groups - Or Not

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    I use Marketplace to search within the groups I'm already part of, but don't go into the groups themselves as that seems pointless. I prefer the people here of course, but the size of the user base can't really be compared. Another benefit of Facebook is that often people don't know very well what they are selling, e.g. I got a mint Vintage V62 Tele for £90 back in February.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    You forgot about the “(not a Gibson)” Gibson-branded Les Pauls and the Squiers/partscasters with wonky Fender decals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    You need to join Guitarist Ireland. No spam and all good honest craic.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Hehe you bunch of wingeing curmudgeons, Facebook is a tool, if youre seeing people or things you dont want to see then you need to learn how to use FB correctly, it's 100% up to you what is and what's not shown on Facebook.

regarding the marketplace you know that it's the same people who sell on there as who sell on gumtree, ebay etc, if you don't like someone bloomin well block them it's not hard and certainly not rocket science. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Hehe you bunch of wingeing curmudgeons, Facebook is a tool, if youre seeing people or things you dont want to see then you need to learn how to use FB correctly, it's 100% up to you what is and what's not shown on Facebook.

regarding the marketplace you know that it's the same people who sell on there as who sell on gumtree, ebay etc, if you don't like someone bloomin well block them it's not hard and certainly not rocket science. 

It's a very useful tool - as we've discussed on here before - particularly in terms of knowing who you're dealing with.

In the past, I've had a few sob-stories from potential purchasers - "I'm buying it for my deaf, dumb and blind kid" (who sure plays a mean pinball), "I've just lost my job and can only afford 20% of what you're asking", etc. In every case where that's happened, a little detective work (Facebook, Gumtree, Preloved, eBay, whatever) revealed a bedroom dealer just trying it on.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    DrJazzTap said:
    What's the tax implications on bedroom trading? If I recall correctly you cant sell more than seven cars a year without having to be classed as a car trader. 

Same as any other 'hobby' that turns a profit as far as I can see. If you're making more than £1k a year at it (in fact, I think if you're turning over more than £1k a year possibly) then it needs to be declared on a self-assessment and you pay tax on it just like any other income/business.

So they'd need to keep accounts, set any legitimate expenses against the income from the sales, and pony up on the difference. And if they turnover more than the threshold, register for VAT and such like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I've had only positive experiences on FB gear groups, particularly the "Real UK" something something something... group. I bought a tatty Blues Cube Artist for £200 from a "dude" in Swansea, and sold a Reverend Volcano for a fair price at some services on the M5. Limited experience, I will admit.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I call people "dude" quite often... this thread is making me question my life choices...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5358
    I call people "dude" quite often... this thread is making me question my life choices...

It's OK man, they're all just uptight squares.

<man hug>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Chill brah.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3671
    MattNovak said:
    U okay hun?
    Fummin

sneks the lot of them dont listen to them slags yor a grate mum
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    e. Everyone is ‘bro’, ‘man’, ‘dude’ or ‘brother’.

Or ‘bud’ or ‘pal’. 
    or 'Dear'....

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>