Zoom G5 or G3 v Boss GT100 amp models

VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
edited April 2020 in FX
Putting everything else aside re effects and functionality I'm curious purely as to how the amp modelling compares.  It would be great to hear from anyone that has or has had both of these specific units. Not any other boss or zoom unit like the G5n or G3n please and again only from those with actual experience of both units. 

Many thanks guys
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've had a G3 and a GT100

Neither of them were really going to trouble a Helix or Fractal, but I think the G3 ones were probably marginally better than the GT100 which I struggled to get a decent sound out of.

I recorded a demo with the G3 direct into the desk and it sounded alright.

The effects on both are great, though the G3 was maybe a bit weak on reverb.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited April 2020
    I've had a G3 and a GT100. However I only used a small proportion of the amp model types as I don't like Marshall or high gain amps for my playing.

Based purely on sound, I'd say the pre effects (drives, boosts, pitch and mods etc) were better on the GT100, but the amps worked better for me on the G3. I really only ever used the Bassman, the Vibroverb (loved this one!), and one of the Vox ones. 

However, that doesn't mean they are objectively better, just that they did what I wanted them to do more than the Boss ones which sounded more polished and a bit too nice(in the same way I percieve a lot of 80s music to be the same kind of thing, too polite). Also I've never played a real Bassman, Vibroverb or large Vox.

That all said, the cab sims on both were a weak point. In fact, I usually preferred the Vox amp with no cab sim! Nailed a very specific sound (Velvet Underground) that way. But also used the amp models without cabs into actual amps, matching styles, where a master volume was sadly lacking on the amp. Ie, I used the vox amp model to add a bit more drive at quiet levels to a Vox AC4, and the Vibroverb/Bassman models into a Pro Junior.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Ohh forgot also - the Air reverb on the Zoom G3 is brilliant if you're playing through headphones. Soothes your ears perfectly
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I have no experience of the Boss GT-100 but I have got a Zoom G3 and have used it live and for recording quite a few times. I built an ampless Heath-Robinson setup with a Zoom G3, a Tech 21 Midi-Moose and a Kenton Midi>USB adapter. I used it on a number of gigs where we had to go silent stage. I'm a very heavy-handed player anyway, so amp dynamics don't mean that much the way I play. With in-ears and the adrenaline of a live gig I actually felt fine using that setup. Certainly the audience and my fellow band members couldn't tell the difference.

I now keep the G3 as a backup and have bought the latest generation of Boss, the GT-1000. The main reason I upgraded was for the extra switching options within a patch, which the Zoom G3 couldn't do in its patch mode. I does sound and feel better, but really only to me. Soundwise, your average tone-deaf punter down at the Dog & Duck, or my drumming and bass-playing band members, wouldn't be able to tell any difference.
    edited April 2020
    The audio for this video was the G3 Vibroverb amp model (ages ago now), bit of reverb, played on a Tele neck pickup:

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited April 2020
    Many thanks guys

@vasselmeyer I do appreciate you taking the time to respond mate but I did stress that I was only looking for input specifically from those that have had both units as anything else simply isn't relevant to my immediate enquiry. This is because I have a Zoom G5 and was considering a GT100. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    tFB Trader
    I'm having similar thoughts and if you want something that's an upgrade on the amp modelling the Hotone Ampero or Mooer GE200 are probably your best bets without spending massively.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Voxman said:
    Many thanks guys

@vasselmeyer I do appreciate you taking the time to respond mate but I did stress that I was only looking for input specifically from those that have had both units as anything else simply isn't relevant to my immediate enquiry. This is because I have a Zoom G5 and was considering a GT100. 

Ahh, my fault for not reading it through properly. I'm on a roll now as I answered a comment about gangster movies in the soundtrack thread. You can tell work is quiet today!
    edited April 2020
    I'm having similar thoughts and if you want something that's an upgrade on the amp modelling the Hotone Ampero or Mooer GE200 are probably your best bets without spending massively.
    Thanks for that. However I've read mixed reviews that the Mooer is a little sterile. However its features dont fit what I need.  I'd prefer not to deflect the post from its original premise as it will simply evolve into discussions on all different mfx. The reason I'm looking at the Boss GT100 specifically is a combination of specific factors from a purely gigging perspective Inc good size dual screens and good foot switching control. But my concern is the amp modelling which is hugely important for me.
    Voxman said:
    Many thanks guys

Ahh, my fault for not reading it through properly. I'm on a roll now as I answered a comment about gangster movies in the soundtrack thread. You can tell work is quiet today!
    No probs  ;)
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    Thanks for that. However I've read mixed reviews that the Mooer is a little sterile. However I'd prefer not to deflect the post from its original premise as it will simply evolve into discussions on all different mfx. The reason I'm looking at the Boss GT100 specifically is a combination of specific factors from a purely gigging perspective Inc good size dual screens and good foot switching control. But my concern is the amp modelling which is hugely important for me.

Fair enough.

I think the GT-100 is a really great unit in terms of effects and workflow and I'd take it over the Zoom as something to have at my feet during a gig (provided I had the space because it's massive), but I found the amp models lacking. I did consider combining it with an IR loader pedal as that might improve the situation.