Zoom G1 Four and modelling, vs Ampero, GE200, ?

monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
in FX tFB Trader
I'm looking for a little FX thingy to fiddle about with for headphone sofa playing and the like.

I had a G3 back in the day and really liked the Looper and Drum machine as a creative tool.
The FX were decent, but the amp modelling was a bit mediocre though not terrible.

The recent G1 Four looks like it could be a fun little tool and has the looper and drum machine, runs on batteries and is less than £60 in a lot of places.

One thing I'm wondering is that since the G3 is quite long in the tooth and has been replaced a couple of times, has the amp modelling been improved in the intervening time?

The only rivals I can find that also have the looper and drum machine features are the Ampero and GE200 although these seem to be more in the £250 range so quite a substantial jump.

Would be keen to hear of experiences or other suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    Anyone?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited April 2020
    I've been umming & ahhing as to whether the NUX MG20 might be worth a punt.  On the plus side its reported to sound really good reproducing an analogue quality tone & response. The features look really good too and the colour display and programmable control pedal, and strong metal construction with good quality footswitches are all big plusses.  I also really like the 9 fast access buttons to turn different fx banks on and off and fast edit each section.  Also, it has a built in mp3/wave recorder.  

It has no editing software but that's not a deal breaker for me.  However it's the lack of UK customer support and some reports re reliability/quirky software that concern me.  So the only way I'd opt for it is via a big dealership such as BAX that offer free delivery and a no quibble 60 day return policy and a 3 yr warranty.  

Article here, but not yet seen a proper good video of it. Circa £175

http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/reviewed-nux-mg-20-guitar-modeling-processor

There is also the cheaper MG100, circa £75

And there are other NUX pedals too inc the MG200 that Bax sell for £87 currently: 55 effects, 13 amp models, 12 speaker cab simulations and gives you the option to play along to any of the 56 different drum patterns or the audio signal of any external device plugged into the AUX input. Loop your own licks and chord progressions using the internal phrase looper; create custom user presets or select one of the 36 factory presets. Best of all? Everything's based on NUX's own TS/AC modelling technology!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    tFB Trader
    Interesting

Not seen those.

Is the TS/AC supposed to be good?
    tFB Trader
    Interesting that the GE-150 is quite cheap and still has an IR loader.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Interesting

Not seen those.

Is the TS/AC supposed to be good?
    I've not yet heard one. But all the reviews and customer feedback suggest it sounds really really good. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    HX stomp?  Appreciate its a lot more second hand than the Mooer stuff but you'd be able to use it as part of a full rig as well and you know it sounds good..
    tFB Trader
    thomasw88 said:
    HX stomp?  Appreciate its a lot more second hand than the Mooer stuff but you'd be able to use it as part of a full rig as well and you know it sounds good..

Yeah I thought about it, but unless I'm mistaken I don't think it has drums which is very important to me as a device for use on headphones.

It's also massively over budget compared to a £50 Zoom or a £150 Mooer.