Old guitar - new pickup rings ?

AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
I bought this Tokai LP style doublecut a while back. The pickups and loom were upgraded with humbucker sized P90 pups. The pup covers were originally 'gold' in colour, but a rub with brass seems to be bringing them back to a plain nickel colour - which will match the rest of the hardware.

One thing that's really putting me off the look is the pickup rings - both the size of the things, and the fact that they are a much lighter colour than the nicely aged cream on the binding:

I'm thinking of fitting a different set - maybe a lower profile shape in nickel or even a lightly bronzed colour to match the pickups as they are at the moment.

Anybody any other / better ideas ?

Thanks,
Alan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Depending on what plastic they're made from, try dunking them in yellow or brown Dylon.
    Sometimes the plastic picks up the colour.
    Experimentation required  ;-)

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    That would help with the colour.

Do the ones on it look totally humongous or is just my imagination ?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Lay another set of rings over the top of those ones, and see if there's a big size difference?

Might be a an odd visual perception thing in that you don't expect to see rings around a P90, and although those might be HB sized P90s, they've still got the pole pieces down the centre, so your brain is thinking "that's a P90, why's it got a pickup ring on it"??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    edited April 2020
    Get what you're saying about the p90 thing - but I think it's just as bad on the hum-buckered ones:

I did actually fit a set of blingy rings to a Tanglewood clone of a Berlin Eggle  to make it look more like the original:

Sizewise the replacement rings would be identical to the originals in all barring the depth - the metal ones are much lower profile.
    I think the smaller ring-height especially at the bridge, would look a lot less intrusive  on the Tokai setup - no ?