NGD - Steve Marriott content

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
Imho, Marriott was one of the greatest rock, blues and soul voices in the history of rock music. As a front man, he was peerless - his charisma, abandon in the moment and general showmanship was years ahead of anyone else. His guitar playing was feral, scorching and often chaotic - but always *right* for the song.

I am a fan - especially of the late era Small Faces (Ogdens etc). This period was interesting from a musical gear perspective, as he’d moved on from his early Gretsch guitars and then after experimenting with a (pink) Les Paul Special, he swapped said pink guitar for a battered sunburst Telecaster that had previously seen action on stages shared with the Who. It had also had holes in the headstock left behind by a previous experiments of multiple extra strings. Marriott loved it, and he started playing it (initially along with the White Gretsch) live and in the studio.

Clips of the guitar in use show that Marriott was having problems with the neck pickup - in one (mimed) TV performance, the neck pickup is pretty much rolling around inside the guitar.

Its not clear when or by whom it was modded, but it was later pictured and there were TV performances, where a Bill Lawrence pickup had been fitted to the Tele. Such as this one:

https://youtu.be/8jYgctXpajs 

According to a few sources, Marriott kept the Tele as his main guitar up until the last gig at Ally Pally. This wasn’t a happy occasion, and Marriott reputedly smashed the Tele into the stage before storming off, never to work with the Small Faces again. He then moved onto Gibson’s and the famous Dwight juniors.

I always wanted a replica of Marriott’s Tele, but it had to have that Lawrence pickup - finding one has not been easy, at a sensible price. Eventually one came along, so I commissioned @rexter Rexter Guitars to route out a gorgeous Tele body to suit it. Coupled with a Fender neck, relic bridge and a Mojo bridge pickup, the resultant guitar is *incredible*.

The Lawrence pickup is *huge* sounding. Dark, fat and jazzy, it has a massive output (even compared to the quite highly wound Broadcaster bridge unit). In fact, I’m 100% sure he used that guitar to record Song of a Baker - the solo is definitely that pickup.

Anyway, enormous thanks to Jon at Rexter guitars for another flawless body (and for being patient with my ramblings about Marriott and that guitar). It’s not quite finished as the pickups are out of phase (probably magnet oriented) and I want to swap the machine heads for more vintage inspired ones. Whether I change the control plate to one closer to Marriott’s remains to be seen - I prefer the Fender switch!

Pics for your delectation 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    When we are free to travel again I shall go to Northampton and find you and take your guitar.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    When we are free to travel again I shall go to Northampton and find you and take your guitar.
    Wow, that didn’t sound threatening at all!!! ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Saw this on FB last night (along with your green doors which also look great btw) absolutely stunning Tim, Funnily enough the first thing I thought of when I saw it was that performance of Song Of A Baker 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    It also gives me the opportunity to share this... one of the greatest tunes of the 60s, performed with the early incarnation of Marriott’s sunburst Tele

https://youtu.be/T45ppF7ji-s

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    There's footage of the Nut Gone Flake about but all I could find in a quick search was this...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 959
    Lovely and thanks for the backstory.

i love stevie Marriott and saw him loads towards the end of his life.

imo one of the greatest soulful voices and boy could he play the blues!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7088
    love the small faces and that is a very decent tele, well done!!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    I saw Humble Pie in Glasgow Apollo..... They blew the fecking roof off..... 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    A true icon, and the soundtrack to my youth.... Guitars proper fugly tho. :D
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    edited April 2020
    Nice one.  I saw Packet of three in Leeds , shortly before his demise.
      He still had so much soul. His voice was fantastic 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4720
    edited April 2020
    Yup, Steve Marriott was fantastic and was at his most awesome & artistic best with Humble Pie.  44 was just way, way too young for us to have lost such a great talent.    BTW @impmann - that's a neat tele you have there, Steve would have been proud! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3606
    You had me at Steve Marriott!

Loved his stuff and it's nice to see your tribute to him.  :)
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 657
    Steve Marriott, Great Guitarist, Amazing Singer and Awesome Performer. 
    Paul Wellers greatest Inspiration.
    Jerry Shirley's Book, 'The best seat in the House', is a good read for those who were into Humble Pie.
    Jerry joined The Pie when he was only 17 years old.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    This is superb! Great tribute to the great man, well done! 

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • john_rjohn_r Frets: 128
    Love it, it's very cool, Steve Marriott one of my heroes!
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    Love your Tele  =)
    Was listening to Humble Pie Rockin the Filmore a couple of days back, still my all time fave live album. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4720
    edited April 2020
    gary_mac said:
    Love your Tele 
    Was listening to Humble Pie Rockin the Filmore a couple of days back, still my all time fave live album. 
    Yup, that and Frampton comes alive that other great humble pie-er.   I used the intro number four day creep to start my youtube demo vid of the Vox VTX150...'ladies and gentleman please welcome to the Fillmore, Humble Pie....(Steve Marriott) " all right...all right...'..

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    The Small Faces Autumn Stone was the first album I bought.  I still have it, it's a double album and has some great songs on it, including most of their singles.  Many of the tracks were played live.  In my youth, I remember getting drunk to the Small Faces and Rolling Stones most weekends!
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 232
    Voxman said:
    gary_mac said:
    Love your Tele 
    Yup, that and Frampton comes alive that other great humble pie-er.   I used the intro number four day creep to start my youtube demo vid of the Vox VTX150...'ladies and gentleman please welcome to the Fillmore, Humble Pie....(Steve Marriott) " all right...all right...'..

And another fan, we used to do the "We go 'ome on Monday but we've really had a gas" patois from Rockin the Fillmore to bemused punters who'd not heard it.  I also liked the later stuff like "Hot n Nasty"
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    I saw Peter Frampton on his Finale tour last September, here in Raleigh.  I don't have a video from that, but here's the Humble Pie tracks that he played when I saw him.  I was blown away, I never expected them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D91gtLbT0_o