NGD - Steve Marriott content

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• shugzshugz Frets: 768
    Looks great, actually doing a similar guitar just now too. Scott at SC Relics kindly sorted me out with a 60s Tele relic nifty number. I'm going probably for an Esquire setup right enough so not full on tribute like this one. 

From doing a bit if research, I think the original/ non original neck pickup was off an old Framus. Another 'fact' was this was Mac's guitar originally too. As with anything, both might be off the mark but that's what I read at least.

Steve a huge hero of mine, no one's really got close. As again, I read somewhere, someone quoted him as good as if not better than Page AND Plant :) 

Midnight of my Life (Martin Freeman) worth a watch too, decent wee film and kinda highlights the disparity in success vs talent he had compared with some of his counterparts. Never topped Tin Soldier nor Rockin' The Fillmore in my opinion but those two ain't bad me ol' mucker...

Enjoy the guitar, might use the lockdown to get my one done.

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18389
    Humble Pie were really great here  http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/charlton-1974.html
    Mostly forgotten gig, but a hell of a day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2020
    Nice guitar, I've got some Bill Lawrence pups in my Les Paul, they are great!

The best of them all regarding the old or new Faces ..

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    edited April 2020
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    shugz said:
    Looks great, actually doing a similar guitar just now too. Scott at SC Relics kindly sorted me out with a 60s Tele relic nifty number. I'm going probably for an Esquire setup right enough so not full on tribute like this one. 

From doing a bit if research, I think the original/ non original neck pickup was off an old Framus. Another 'fact' was this was Mac's guitar originally too. As with anything, both might be off the mark but that's what I read at least.

Steve a huge hero of mine, no one's really got close. As again, I read somewhere, someone quoted him as good as if not better than Page AND Plant :) 

Midnight of my Life (Martin Freeman) worth a watch too, decent wee film and kinda highlights the disparity in success vs talent he had compared with some of his counterparts. Never topped Tin Soldier nor Rockin' The Fillmore in my opinion but those two ain't bad me ol' mucker...

Cheers 
    Hugh
    The pickup was also used in Framus guitars - the Framus ones didn’t have the metal mounting plate (such as the one fitted to Mike Oldfield’s Tele). Bill Lawrence designed the pickup, licenced it to Framus but also produced them under his own name - in fact, they were one of the very first aftermarket pickups available. 

The more time I spend with it, the more I think it’s one of the greatest pickups. Genuinely a forgotten classic! I’d be interested to know how different it is to a P90, but it sounds very different to me. It’s pretty pokey - it’s a 9k unit. 

From what I’ve read, the guitar was swapped for the pink Les Paul Special with a guy called MartinFisher (there’s a thread in TPRI), so not sure about Mac but it clearly wore a different neck in later times. The extra holes in the headstock weren’t there in later performances but the battle scars on the body matched up.

Either way, if you can find a Lawrence/Framus pickup for yours, you won’t regret it, Hugh!  It’s fab!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    Voxman said:
    gary_mac said:
    Love your Tele 
    Was listening to Humble Pie Rockin the Filmore a couple of days back, still my all time fave live album. 
    Yup, that and Frampton comes alive that other great humble pie-er.   I used the intro number four day creep to start my youtube demo vid of the Vox VTX150...'ladies and gentleman please welcome to the Fillmore, Humble Pie....(Steve Marriott) " all right...all right...'..

I'll go check out your vid.          One of these days I'm going to play with a band that will agree to play Four Day Creep =)
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Love the guitar, nice job. Marriott was a true great, I always wonder what Humble Pie could have achieved if they had Peter Grant managing them or Loog Oldham.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    impmann said:
    shugz said:

Cheers 
    Hugh
    The pickup was also used in Framus guitars - the Framus ones didn’t have the metal mounting plate (such as the one fitted to Mike Oldfield’s Tele). Bill Lawrence designed the pickup, licenced it to Framus but also produced them under his own name - in fact, they were one of the very first aftermarket pickups available. 

The more time I spend with it, the more I think it’s one of the greatest pickups. Genuinely a forgotten classic! I’d be interested to know how different it is to a P90, but it sounds very different to me. It’s pretty pokey - it’s a 9k unit. 

From what I’ve read, the guitar was swapped for the pink Les Paul Special with a guy called MartinFisher (there’s a thread in TPRI), so not sure about Mac but it clearly wore a different neck in later times. The extra holes in the headstock weren’t there in later performances but the battle scars on the body matched up.

Either way, if you can find a Lawrence/Framus pickup for yours, you won’t regret it, Hugh!  It’s fab!
    Super info, thanks. Every day a school day - I had it in my head it was pinched off a guitar or possibly it went to a repairer who fitted something lying around. I was re-reading Mac's book last month and he mentioned in that about a Telecaster so thought it might be the Song of a Baker one possibly but who knows?

That solo on SOAB is for me, Steve's greatest guitaring. I've recommended it to anyone learning to play that raucous bluesy sort of soloing he does so well. Sounds totally off the cuff, one take and whilst I think he is pretty well regarded a vocalist - think that and obviously plenty other examples highlight what a player he was too. Some of the filmed late 80s pub gigs are worth checking too. The sharp mod about town look may have gone but the sharp guitar slinger round town hadn't.

Enjoy the geetar - what an aceface project :)

Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14038
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:

I always wanted a replica of Marriott’s Tele, but it had to have that Lawrence pickup - finding one has not been easy, at a sensible price. Eventually one came along, so I commissioned @rexter Rexter Guitars to route out a gorgeous Tele body to suit it. Coupled with a Fender neck, relic bridge and a Mojo bridge pickup, the resultant guitar is *incredible*.

The Lawrence pickup is *huge* sounding. Dark, fat and jazzy, it has a massive output (even compared to the quite highly wound Broadcaster bridge unit). In fact, I’m 100% sure he used that guitar to record Song of a Baker - the solo is definitely that pickup.

I wonder how close in tone that B Lawrence is to a Charlie Christian p/up  - I suspect similar if not the same based on your dark fat and jazzy comment - I have a bit of a fad about such pick-ups like the CC, B Lawrence, Gold Foil and TV Jones in the neck of a Tele especially when you have a 'black guard' Tele bridge pick-up - Something crude about them that works - I have never tried a BIll Lawrence like that on a Tele, so food for thought
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Lovely job, and great story !

@Guitars4You - Lollar do a Tele sized Charlie Christian .... this is my Warmoth Thinline Tele with Lollars

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
     shugz said:
    impmann said:
    shugz said:

Cheers 
    Hugh

Super info, thanks. Every day a school day - I had it in my head it was pinched off a guitar or possibly it went to a repairer who fitted something lying around. I was re-reading Mac's book last month and he mentioned in that about a Telecaster so thought it might be the Song of a Baker one possibly but who knows?

That solo on SOAB is for me, Steve's greatest guitaring. I've recommended it to anyone learning to play that raucous bluesy sort of soloing he does so well. Sounds totally off the cuff, one take and whilst I think he is pretty well regarded a vocalist - think that and obviously plenty other examples highlight what a player he was too. Some of the filmed late 80s pub gigs are worth checking too. The sharp mod about town look may have gone but the sharp guitar slinger round town hadn't.

Enjoy the geetar - what an aceface project :)

Hugh

SOAB solo is *definitely* the Lawrence pickup. Flutey and warm, yet somehow edgey. Like I say, it’s *really* worth finding one. 
    Its my fave solo by him too - although those little passing riffs at the beginning of Tin Soldier are right up there too. Just perfect timing - not technically difficult just impossible to better for timing and phrasing.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Revolting1Revolting1 Frets: 295
    Happy new guitar days
     Thanks for your persistence,great to see an idea/theory turned into a reality.
       Nice one.

I wonder if Marriot played it on the Billy Nicolls; Would You Believe album,
         I remember his voice on it a fair bit, don't have a copy at the moment to check for guitar.
    When logic and proportion