Advice please... Sharp fret ends

What's Hot
Evening all. I want to pick your brains: I bought a cheap bass this week, just for recording at home - I've been recording bass parts with a pitch shifted guitar but it doesn't really sound great. I got one of these:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/RedSub-Infinity-Fan-Fret-Multi-Scale-Bass-Guitar-Gloss-Black/2C6U

They had a nearly new one for £150 so I got that. It arrived today and in nearly all ways in really pleased with it: it's light, it's got a really nice neck, it sounds good and the extra scale length means that it handles drop C tuning nicely.

Only problem is that it has some sharp fret ends, especially on the treble side of the neck.

So bearing in mind that I've never done anything remotely like it before, should I buy a fret file & try to sort it myself, or should I just send it back & get a brand new one for an extra £50?
Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Use a smooth cut file (#2 or #4 cut) or use something makeshift like a stick of MDF with some abrasive paper wrapped around it.
    or your local chemist/branch of boots (or girlfriend's beauty bag ) may contain a nail filing block like this 

They come in a variety of grits and are damn useful.
    My ex was a beauty therapist and visiting her wholesale beauty store was a goldmine of things I could adapt to workshop use

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322

Similar to FelineGuitars, I use an ordinary nail file like this. They are a bit squidgy and do not have abrasive edges.

There is a temptation to sand the fret and avoid the neck; that leads to sanding at too shallow an angle, so pay attention to the angle you sand at. A bit of tape running along the neck can help avoid scratching the neck.
  • Brilliant, thanks chaps! :+1: 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8687
    Have the frets lifted slightly as the neck wood dries out, or are they just poorly finished?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    Have the frets lifted slightly as the neck wood dries out, or are they just poorly finished?
    More likely just fret sprout where the board has shrunk and the frets haven't

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Roland said:
    More likely just fret sprout where the board has shrunk and the frets haven't

Yep, they don't appear to have lifted 

• HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 471
    Sounds a lot like fretboard shrinkage which is not unusual. Any of the above remedies will sort it out, just take care not to cause any damage to the side of the neck with the file/ abrasive. I find that a little at a time and testing by running your hand over the offending area is best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited April 2020
    The next guitar you get may also have sharp fret ends.

Buy a set of Dekton No. 2 Needle Files from eBay, and follow the instructions in this video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQt3NzGdez4

You can use a strip of paint masking tape to protect the fretboard from file marks.

PS Edit: I am unskilled in this and I did a perfect job on a budget guitar I bought in December. You can do it too.
  • Thanks chaps! I spent a few minutes with some fine wet & dry today and it's much more comfortable to play. I've ordered some of those files too; when I change the strings I'll give it a proper going over