Can anyone help me with transcribing a short section???

axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
Transcribing is something that I struggle with, well, with anything fast in particular. I decided to have a go at learning one of my favourite tracks, Breaking the spell by Pendragon. It's around 9 minutes long and mostly instrumental. Most of it I have sorted, but I'm rather stuck on this widdly section, it's around 20 seconds long but is basically a few repeated phrases up the dusty end.

I've done the first 20 secs of this clip, I just left it on for context, it's the widdly second bit I need. 

Anyone?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I can hear/visualise what he's doing, it's pentatonic licks high up but obviously fairly quick! I'll give it a quick go later and take a more in-depth look in the week and whack it into Transcribe. Dunno if you've got that, but it's a program where you can loop/slow down stuff etc....useful for things like this  =)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I can hear/visualise what he's doing, it's pentatonic licks high up but obviously fairly quick! I'll give it a quick go later and take a more in-depth look in the week and whack it into Transcribe. Dunno if you've got that, but it's a program where you can loop/slow down stuff etc....useful for things like this  =)
    Actually, yes I do have transcribe. It's very useful but it's hard to pick out fast stuff when you slow it down, the longer background sounds seem to get very 'mushy'. Even with the ability to alter EQ etc I wasn't getting far with this. Any help much appreciated!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2020
    Here's my general idea of what might be happening.

Firstly: Eb  F  Eb  C repeated. 
    I find it easiest to play the Eb on the 2nd string 16th fret, hammer-on the F on the 18th fret, then pull-off to the 16th fret again.
    I'm not sure whether the C is on the 13th fret on the 2nd string, in which case the whole pattern can be played on the 2nd string as one legato phrase with a pull-off to the C
    Alternatively (which I find easier) the C might be picked on the 17th fret on the 3rd string.

The next pattern sounds like Db Eb Db C repeated
    I find it easiest to play the Db on the 2nd string 14th fret, hammer-on the Eb on the 16th fret, then pull-off to the 14th fret again.
    Again all the notes might be on the 2nd string, in which case the whole pattern can be played as one legato phrase. Alternatively (as for the first phrase) the C might be picked the 17th fret on the third string.

It appears to go back to something like the first pattern.

It's a bit hard to make out, but it sometimes sounds like the F is actually a bend up from the Eb.

I'm not sure about the rest. That would take me some considerable time to work out. You need someone with better ears and a faster brain.

It's not a competition.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Here's my general idea of what might be happening.

Firstly: Eb  F  Eb  C repeated. 
    I find it easiest to play the Eb on the 2nd string 16th fret, hammer-on the F on the 18th fret, then pull-off to the 16th fret again.
    I'm not sure whether the C is on the 13th fret on the 2nd string, in which case the whole pattern can be played on the 2nd string as one legato phrase with a pull-off to the C
    Alternatively (which I find easier) the C might be picked on the 17th fret on the 3rd string.

The next pattern sounds like Db Eb Db C repeated
    I find it easiest to play the Db on the 2nd string 14th fret, hammer-on the Eb on the 16th fret, then pull-off to the 14th fret again.
    Again all the notes might be on the 2nd string, in which case the whole pattern can be played as one legato phrase. Alternatively (as for the first phrase) the C might be picked the 17th fret on the third string.

It appears to go back to something like the first pattern.

It's a bit hard to make out, but it sometimes sounds like the F is actually a bend up from the Eb.

I'm not sure about the rest. That would take me some considerable time to work out. You need someone with better ears and a faster brain.

Thanks, I'll see what I can make of that.