Query for experienced gardeners

What's Hot
I have a small potted mulberry tree/bush, a potted blackcurrant, a potted raspberry. All are compact varieties suited to pots in 35-40cm pots with lots of depth.

Can I grow quick-crop veg around them while they're still pretty twiggy and putting out growth? Ideally, I was thinking radishes, baby beets, chard or spinach intercropped around the bush/tree. The shade will slow bolting as summer nears, so would possibly get an extra week or two from chard or spinach... 

But will this harm my trees? They're very young - all potted from small 9cm pots last October, so not expecting much or even any fruiting until next year. Just seems wasted space right now! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    can't help with query, but I feel that this should be read out in an Eric Robson ( Gardeners question time presenter ) voice and handed to Bob Flowerdew to answer . Seriously, I wish I could help but even though we have a huge garden containing everything from trees to veg and herbs, I dare not touch anything due to my gardener wife being somewhat territorial. I'm allowed to cut lawns and grow face melting chilli plants.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Yes you can, water regularly and use a liquid feed once a week because of the additional need. After the summer mulch the pots with new compost again to add feed to the pot.
    If the soil or compost is healthy the plants take care of themselves. If you cant get liquid feed make your own compost tea by steeping weeds in water a week or three. In smells a bit and you dilute it well. Nettles and comfrey in particular add excellent nutrient feeds but stink so a sealed bucket is advised and don't get It on your hands because the smell doesent wash off easily!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27464
    ESBlonde said:
    Nettles and comfrey in particular add excellent nutrient feeds 
    Thanks for the tip @ESBlonde.  We have a plentiful supply of nettles.  Good to know they can have a use!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18730
    TTony said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Nettles and comfrey in particular add excellent nutrient feeds 
    Thanks for the tip @ESBlonde.  We have a plentiful supply of nettles.  Good to know they can have a use!
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/30/nettle-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

Take it or leave it  ;)
  • Nettles are delicious! Fresh nettle tips make a great addition to stew.

Thanks @ESBlonde top advice. I'll pop some lettuces, radishes, beetroot and turnips around the trees and bushes and hope for the best. They will compete for nutrients but I mulched with Westland Soil Conditioner (which is composted manure and wood chippings), this has loads of nutrients in it and also helps slow the loss of water through evaporation as it forms a nice matt over the compost surface (which was my main issue last year).

I only got one bag, but I really wish I had two - I got one to trial it and early thoughts are very positive with regards to letting water pass through one way, suppressing weeds (seriously, first floor balcony and weeds are still a constant problem!). This will go on my perculture pots like the bushes, but I also tried digging a layer into my trug with tomatoes - this should help provide them with lots of food until they begin fruiting.