Importing guitar from USA?

What's Hot
JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
Are there any issues with importing from the USA? I recall that some of the restrictions were withdrawn late last year but is Brazilian Rosewood still an issue? Anything else I should bear in mind?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7140
    Brazilian Rosewood is still an issue 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5410
    Brazilian rosewood is indeed still an issue, as is anything on CITES Appendix I.

This means that are other less frequently noted materials that theoretically could cause problems as well but in practise rarely do (like abalone inlay material, for example - loads of abalone is completely legal but there are some species that aren't).

Just bank on the fact that you'll pay about 25% of the total price to you *after* shipping fees are added in duty, VAT and brokerage fees.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4132
    As above, plus with the current exchange rate there’s even less benefit of doing it! :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    Thanks for the info guys. I've just clarified with the seller that the fretboard is Brazilian rosewood. I think I'll have to pass on it as the hit would be too much to bear if it was held up.

Do Customs have experts on hand who can identify such materials? I imagine it's a matter of luck if items do get get held for detailed inspection but it's not a risk I can afford to take unfortunately.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    I had one arrive and it got held up until the seller had confirmed the woods involved in the instrument. So yes I think it is on the radar. My seller was on holiday and didn’t get back to customs quickly and it very nearly ended up back over the water.

Its fairly simple buying them though, it’s just they do sit in customs for a week or so for clearance, but like an above poster has said, currency changed recently mean USA guitars have increased in price greatly recently.

You will pay 20% of the value in VAT also before the guitar is released for delivery. Failure to do so and you won’t be getting it.
    And if it’s Braz and they seize it, it doesn’t get sent back, it gets destroyed, so you’ll have an almighty dingdong with the seller in that case. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    Rob1742 said:
    I had one arrive and it got held up until the seller had confirmed the woods involved in the instrument. So yes I think it is on the radar. My seller was on holiday and didn’t get back to customs quickly and it very nearly ended up back over the water.

Its fairly simple buying them though, it’s just they do sit in customs for a week or so for clearance, but like an above poster has said, currency changed recently mean USA guitars have increased in price greatly recently.

You will pay 20% of the value in VAT also before the guitar is released for delivery. Failure to do so and you won’t be getting it.
    Interesting info, thanks. I'm surprised that they rely on the word of the seller as they have a vested interest in getting it cleared. But then, there's not a lot of common sense involved, when, as @Whitecat says, they will destroy any 'guilty' items. :/
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    The other thing to consider is how the guitar is going to be shipped to the UK.

Many US sellers use the Global Shipping Program, but I seem to remember that many Fretboard members think that the cost is too high.
  • bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
    Are you thinking of importing something soon? I am also considering a purchase from USA but I am concerned that the current situation with COVID will be a problem. UPS say they are running as normal but I’m not sure if there will be a massive delay, or if it will even get here or get stuck somewhere on the way. Also the situation may change at any point and deliveries could be restricted in certain areas. It’s not a great time to be buying/importing! 
    bobbatone said:
    Are you thinking of importing something soon? I am also considering a purchase from USA but I am concerned that the current situation with COVID will be a problem. UPS say they are running as normal but I’m not sure if there will be a massive delay, or if it will even get here or get stuck somewhere on the way. Also the situation may change at any point and deliveries could be restricted in certain areas. It’s not a great time to be buying/importing! 
    Had both pickups and a pedal shipped USPS to here within the last couple weeks and zero issues, all within the timescale expected as normal. Obviously things could get worse but at this moment seems pretty normal. 
  • gregmgregm Frets: 49
    Might not be the same for UK, but for Ireland there is a mail forwarding service for shipping to New Jersey thru An Post. The package then gets processed for USA customs and paid before it leaves. The saving is in the postage, not sure if the same for the UK but in Ireland the postage is added to the cost and then the Vat and import calculated off of this. I have had a few guitars sent this way and firstly the international postage is gone, so $20 or less is more like the cost from the USA which effects the duty and also the guitar is processed for export before leaving the USA so sorts the banned wood problem. If the wood is picked as a problem the guitar has not left and can be returned. Would be surprised if same service is not available from UK?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    There is no way to “sort the banned wood problem”. Guitars being exported from the USA with illegal-to-export materials can theoretically be seized *before* they leave the country if the authorities are so inclined - they can and do check outbound parcels as well and they sure as hell are not returned.

• bobbatonebobbatone Frets: 68
    Whitecat said:
    bobbatone said:
    Had both pickups and a pedal shipped USPS to here within the last couple weeks and zero issues, all within the timescale expected as normal. Obviously things could get worse but at this moment seems pretty normal. 
    thanks! Good to know things are still coming through