Superstrat advice- Luke, Vigier, JS, Jackson etc.

What's Hot
pickergpickerg Frets: 30
I know this topic has been done loads, but lots of us have a little extra time at the moment...

Looking for a superstrat type guitar with a trem and interested in people’s thoughts. Ones I quite like the look of are the Musicman Luke (probably ii), the Ibanez Satch models, maybe Vigier but probably a bit out of price range, or Jackson Japan Dinky type guitars. To play some metal type stuff but versatility would be good too. 

I’m normally a vintage style tele player so would probably get on better with a slimmer nut width, hence the Satch and Luke, but happy with a flatter radius. I know people haven’t probably compared all these models but interested in people’s thoughts or if there’s anything I’ve missed. Suhrs would be nice but a bit out of price range, ideally would like change from £1000.  Obviously current climate dictates no try before buy.

Cheers for reading and stay safe folks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• As far as Jackson go, look at the Soloists too: they tend to have a slightly skinnier neck than the Dinky models.

What about Charvel?

Also, I've been looking at the Balaguer guitars on the Guitar Guitar website:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200110353818008--balaguer-standard-series-archetype-gloss-metallic-lake-placid-b
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    I think charvel is a great shout for a newer guitar.

Otherwise, a 90s Hamer Centaura or Diablo are both great value for a USA hand made guitar and can be found pretty regularly for well under your budget.

They tend to have nice comfortable c shaped necks as well, rather than superskinny ones.

I’m very biased though, as Hamers are my main thing - and my usual answer irrespective of the question!
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3040
    Second hand Ibanez JS1000. The necks are very fender like from what I remember, the best of classic and modern features. Wish I kept mine
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited April 2020
    Otherwise, a 90s Hamer Centaura or Diablo are both great value for a USA hand made guitar and can be found pretty regularly for well under your budget.

They tend to have nice comfortable c shaped necks as well, rather than superskinny ones.

I’m very biased though, as Hamers are my main thing - and my usual answer irrespective of the question!
    I'm not really a superstrat enthusiast but the Hamer Diablo always appealed to me.  They did quite a few different superstrat shapes - I'm not sure why so many! - but the Diablo looks like it has a smaller body and it's more rounded, a bit like the Ibanez JS models (or indeed the EBMM Luke).

I've owned 7 or 8 Hamers over the years but never got to try a Diablo.

NGD Hamer Diablo  The Gear Page
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
     You should try and play a Luke II as I think the necks are an acquired taste and a little cramped.

Great guitars but I'm not sure if they've used the same neck profile and width across all versions 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    Thanks for the comments. Yes was considering Charvel too. Was aware of Hamer back in the day but wasn’t aware of the later 90s ones, will have a look. Also been looking at the Ibanez AZ series...
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7083
    If you want a locking trem then Ibanez or Charvel have great choices in both 22 and 24 fret models.

I have both and they will easily do the style you want. Different neck profiles though and the feel on Ibanez is a little slinkier I find.

Mine are all strung up with 10 gauge strings and use either Edge, LoPro Edge or Floyd trem systems.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    pickerg said:
    Thanks for the comments. Yes was considering Charvel too. Was aware of Hamer back in the day but wasn’t aware of the later 90s ones, will have a look. Also been looking at the Ibanez AZ series...
    I've got an AZ and a Vigier. The AZ has a slightly chunkier neck - different to Jems/JS models but not drastically so and doesn't take long to adjust at all -  plus it has a greater choice of sounds from the switching options, and it's really comfy to play. The Vigier is great too; very very easy to play, extremely well made, and the trem stays in tune very well (mine is non-locking). The AZ is my current favourite, but that's only because it's newer. You can sometimes pick up Vigiers cheapish second-hand - mate got an Excalibur for about £8-900 I think. The current Charvels (thinking of the DK24 as a student has one) compare pretty well too - excellent guitars. The AZ is a bit of a step up in quality (mine is the Japanese model) but really there's not a lot of difference. 
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    edited April 2020
    Thanks @Vibetronic that’s really useful.