Is the '... Planet of the Apes' the best trilogy of modern times?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    Lord of the Rings

A Fistful of Dollars
    For a Few Dollars More
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    HAL9000 said:
    Lord of the Rings
    Yeah, gotta be LotR
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My instinctive choices before reading the thread were gonna be:

Three Colours
    Before Sunset
    Back To The Future

Seems great minds think alike, as all already mentioned!

Was gonna mention the Indiana Jones trilogy but then remembered they made that God awful 4th one a few years back. :p
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    axisus said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Lord of the Rings
    Yeah, gotta be LotR
    Yup. And definitely not The Hobbit, which should’ve only been two films maximum anyway. 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10230

The Cornetto Trilogy is very close, only slightly let down by The Worlds End. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    New Wave Hookers.

/thread
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited April 2020
    It’s debatable whether Back To The Future is a modern trilogy any more, given how long ago it was made and that it’s now all set in the past...

There’s Kung Fu Panda as well .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Just looking at trilogy lists online, if I was going to rewatch any of them probably the Naked Gun or Raiders trilogies although they probably don’t count as modern. 
    I’d rewatch the Millenium series ( Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,etc) although mostly because I don’t really remember them beyond the first one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Just looking at trilogy lists online, if I was going to rewatch any of them probably the Naked Gun or Raiders trilogies although they probably don’t count as modern. 

I found a list on the Empire website, compiled in 2010, of the "33 greatest movie trilogies".  Loads of them have gone on to have parts 4, 5 and more since then, so they're not trilogies anymore!
    boogieman said:
    axisus said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Lord of the Rings
    Yeah, gotta be LotR
    Yup. And definitely not The Hobbit, which should’ve only been two films maximum anyway. 
    The contrast between the two could not possibly greater.  The Lord of the Rings was as good an adaptation of the books as anyone could have done, but I wonder if Peter Jackson realises now what an utter hash he made of The Hobbit?  
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Philly_Q said:

I found a list on the Empire website, compiled in 2010, of the "33 greatest movie trilogies".  Loads of them have gone on to have parts 4, 5 and more since then, so they're not trilogies anymore!

I guess if anything is successful enough they will keep churning them out. With Raiders you do at least have three distinct related movies and then the prequels and the 4th Harrison Ford one ( 5th in the works, God help us) sit outside of that. Same for the original Star Wars and even Bourne ( I’m looking at that Empire list which has reminded me about Bourne and those would be on my list ). 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    EricTheWeary said:
    I’m looking at that Empire list which has reminded me about Bourne and those would be on my list. 

They're great, but I haven't seen Jason Bourne which my brother told me was terrible (and unnecessary - or too late - as a sequel).  I didn't mind The Bourne Legacy with Jeremy Renner, it looked like it was meant to launch a new series but that never happened.

From that list I'd have gone with George A. Romero's Dead trilogy (although clearly not modern), but he messed it up by doing Land, Diary and Survival, none of which were very good.

I know the originals can still stand as trilogies, but the existence of sequels does skew things a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    HAL9000 said:
    Lord of the Rings
    Yeah, gotta be LotR
    The contrast between the two could not possibly greater.  The Lord of the Rings was as good an adaptation of the books as anyone could have done, but I wonder if Peter Jackson realises now what an utter hash he made of The Hobbit?  
    It’s not a bad set of films, as such. He obviously learnt a lot from making LOTR, but it’s just way too long to work as a trilogy. I agree he must look back at it now and wonder why he did it that way... could it be either it was the studio indulging him or the pressure was to simulate the LOTR format? If anything, the LOTR trilogy cinema releases could have been longer, the extended cuts actually make for better and more logical films (assuming logic has any part in a film featuring goblins, wizards aelves. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3665
    There's a decent fan-edited version of The Hobbit floating about which takes the Bluray versions, takes all the useless shit out and makes the plot follow the book. It's about 4h30m if I recall.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited April 2020
    Was looking forward to seeing War of Planet of the Apes last night on TV.  It was good, but not as great as the first two. Reminded me of the Alien movie that had the prison camp, with a bit of The Great Escape added!

For me Toy Story trumps LOTR - so many great ideas and jokes and three inspired story lines. (Not seen TS 4).
    Despicable Me is great fun as well, but Toy Story was breaking new ground.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Some great trilogies getting mentioned here. The Bourne films are worthy for sure.
    Some of the suggestions go back a bit though - I think this millennium would count as modern, it takes a couple of years to make a film so 20 is enough for a trilogy. 
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    Also.. a great shame Eisenstein died before doing part 3 of Ivan the Terrible. Parts 1 and 2 are, like, awesome.
    There's a decent fan-edited version of The Hobbit floating about which takes the Bluray versions, takes all the useless shit out and makes the plot follow the book. It's about 4h30m if I recall.
    You could probably lose an hour by just taking out all the hobbits eating stuff. 
  • Taking the thread off topic a bit but this is a good summary for bored people about why the hobbit was a train wreck https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=12269762

And everyone above this post is wrong.
    the best trilogy of all eras will always be night of, dawn of and day of the dead

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Kung Fu Panda. Not a bum note in all 3. Excellent voice acting, visuals, music and character arc.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    Philly_Q said:
    From that list I'd have gone with George A. Romero's Dead trilogy (although clearly not modern), but he messed it up by doing Land, Diary and Survival, none of which were very good.

I know the originals can still stand as trilogies, but the existence of sequels does skew things a bit.
    I forgot about the original Romero trilogy, I really should revisit them, the ones after weren't great but if any director can be excused a few mishaps it's him!