Fret size confusion: medium jumbo?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3809
edited April 2020 in Guitar
I'm trying to decide on fret size for a new build. I tend to like 'medium jumbo' on Fenders and Gibsons, but what size is this really? There seem to be conflicting opinions.

I've tried 6130 (.106″ x .036″) which was too low for me and also 6125 (095″ x .047″) which was too high, thus excluding 6105 and 6150 too. Can anyone give recommendations, or what size Fender/Gibson medium jumbo is? Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6677

From Fender's site

6230: The smallest fret wire found on older Fender necks (.078″ x .043″).
    6150: Vintage jumbo. Much wider but not as tall as 6230 (.102″ x .042″).
    6105: Modern narrow and tall; currently very popular (.090″ x .055″).
    6100: Jumbo. The largest fret wire available (.110″ x .055″).
    6130: Medium jumbo (.106″ x .036″).

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11444
    As well as Dunlop, Jescar is good wire and comes in a range of different sizes.

These guys have a very good selection:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Be a man,  use barbed wire. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3809
    Thanks, @soma1975 .

From that, 6150 looks good at .042 tall, however Warmoth says it's .047 tall, which would be too tall. Who to believe?!
    I think I'm going to go 6105 on a compound 7.25-9.5" compound radius neck I am going to order if I ever get paid again. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    soma1975 said:
    I think I'm going to go 6105 on a compound 7.25-9.5" compound radius neck I am going to order if I ever get paid again. 
    They're just too high for me. I like to slide around and they just feel like railroad tracks.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader
    As @soma1975 has indicated, what Fender call medium jumbo is .106 x .36

However many use the phrase 'medium jumbo' as a guideline to indicate a whole host of fret sizes that are not vintage based - I know I tend to do this and many others do - I think in part as it is a quick and easy reference to many customers - If I said 6150 to a lot of customers they would not have a clue what I was on about - So rightly or wrongly medium jumbo is often just a guide line

But in the situation to spec'd the requirements for your custom build @Lebarque then obviously you will need the exact size 

My personal favourite is a 6150 which is pretty close measurement to what PRS utilise on many guitars

Speak to the potential builder and they should be able to help - And/or try a few guitars and when you find something you like then take a note accordingly
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4998
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @soma1975 .

From that, 6150 looks good at .042 tall, however Warmoth says it's .047 tall, which would be too tall. Who to believe?!
    Man you can feel a 0.005” difference in fret height?!  :o
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @soma1975 .

Hmmm...

Possibly better to risk erring on the side of “too tall” than “too low” as getting frets dressed down a bit is a lot easier than having them all replaced...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I have Fender Medium Jumbo on my current neck, a Classic Player 60s, and so I thought to go once step closer to  vintage without being tiny skinny things by choosing 6105. Now I'm having second thoughts. DAMMIT!

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    I really like jescar medium jumbo, it's around 2.3mm wide and 1.2mm tall when new
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Chode fingers mean it has to be 6105 for me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @soma1975 .

Yep. I'm a fussy bugger!

However many use the phrase 'medium jumbo' as a guideline to indicate a whole host of fret sizes that are not vintage based - I know I tend to do this and many others do - I think in part as it is a quick and easy reference to many customers - If I said 6150 to a lot of customers they would not have a clue what I was on about - So rightly or wrongly medium jumbo is often just a guide line

But in the situation to spec'd the requirements for your custom build @Lebarque then obviously you will need the exact size 

My personal favourite is a 6150 which is pretty close measurement to what PRS utilise on many guitars

Speak to the potential builder and they should be able to help - And/or try a few guitars and when you find something you like then take a note accordingly medium haven't
    Thanks, Mark. It's weird - I'm sure that half the guitars that Fender class as medium jumbo haven't got .106 X .036 on them. It's just too short! More likely 6150 I would think. I think I just need to start ignoring all quoted measurements apart from those on Dunlop's and Jescar websites!
    I really like jescar medium jumbo, it's around 2.3mm wide and 1.2mm tall when new
    What's that in Imperial?
    Wish I could pop down to Andertons and try every guitar under the sun to see what frets I like best. :0(
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Lebarque said:
    Wish I could pop down to Andertons and try every guitar under the sun to see what frets I like best. :0(
    When this is over hit me up for a road trip somewhere
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7005
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks, @soma1975 .

Yep. I'm a fussy bugger!
    Make sure you specify stainless wire as the first fret dress will take more than 5 thou off ;)
  • oldfoxyoldfoxy Frets: 39
    Lebarque said:
    What's that in Imperial?
    In round numbers 92 thou wide by 48 thou high
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14166
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:

Speak to the potential builder and they should be able to help - And/or try a few guitars and when you find something you like then take a note accordingly medium haven't
    Thanks, Mark. It's weird - I'm sure that half the guitars that Fender class as medium jumbo haven't got .106 X .036 on them. It's just too short! More likely 6150 I would think. I think I just need to start ignoring all quoted measurements apart from those on Dunlop's and Jescar websites!
    I have not known many CS models with 6150's on them - In fact when I have ordered them I often get a clarification note from Fender as they think I meant 6105's and made a mistake - I order a few as I like them - Majority of CS builds favour 6105's and 6100 then MJ

Not a huge difference between 6150 frets and Fender's listing of MJ frets