TC Electronic Alter Ego X4 Released in the UK Today!

What's Hot
dano91dano91 Frets: 24
edited June 2014 in FX
Hi Guys,

Saw there was a lot of excitement around these pedals and people thought they might not be around till next year.

The good news is that it has landed a lot sooner than many thought. Dolphin have started taking orders today:

If you haven't yet seen what it can do, check out the PGS video:
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    given the choice I think I'd plump for this over the regular X4, I'm more yer retro kinda guy. But as I have an X4 then selling and buying one of these would put me considerably out of pocket it ain't gonna happen.
    :(

But nice pedal though. 
    :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014

Ooooo, I thought these were just a PGS exclusive.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Woah, expect to see my Alter Ego for sale shortly then!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gambitgambit Frets: 5
    has anyone read any mention of the alterego's models being available to edit on the Toneprint Editor?

that would probably push me to switch from the regular X4.
    edited June 2014
    gambit said:
    has anyone read any mention of the alterego's models being available to edit on the Toneprint Editor?

Nope, and they've so far said that the exclusive models on the original Alter Ego and Trinity reverb won't be available to the editor. There was another US chain that had an exclusive version of one of the pedals as well IIRC.

They like to keep a few back to help them keep selling hardware ;-)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    gambit said:

Nope, and they've so far said that the exclusive models on the original Alter Ego and Trinity reverb won't be available to the editor. There was another US chain that had an exclusive version of one of the pedals as well IIRC.

presumably recreating the exclusive models would be possible in the Editor? Not for numpties like me though. Although I suppose owning a Flashback and an AlterEgo and matching the toneprints via the editor and then posting the settings on line is asking a bit much of somebody!

TBH I've got as far as downloading the Editor app onto the iPad!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    gambit said:

presumably recreating the exclusive models would be possible in the Editor? Not for numpties like me though. Although I suppose owning a Flashback and an AlterEgo and matching the toneprints via the editor and then posting the settings on line is asking a bit much of somebody!

TBH I've got as far as downloading the Editor app onto the iPad!
    Possibly, but remember the editor that we get is a cut down simplified version of the real one they use, so it might not be that simple.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    is the TonePrint editor not comprehensive enough that you could create these presets yourself? Or is it only possible to tweak something, the basis of which has been sampled into the pedal?

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    ah. the same question was answered as i typed

Also you can't get the Toneprint settings out of a pedal. So you can't plug the Alter Ego into it and make a note of the settings.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I think this is a bit off - presuming the hardware is the same, with different paint, it kind of defeats the point of tone prints! I'd be happier if they just made the models available to load on to the existing X4. No money in that though!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited June 2014
    Nice. I can see a lot of people enjoying this one as well as the Edge-ists, Summers-ists and Gilmour-ists too!

In addition to the nice sounds, I like the styling of it better than my old X4.
    Another demo.
  • gambitgambit Frets: 5
    yeah, the Editor only allows tweaking of existing 'standards' like Tape or Digital etc. no specific RE-201 or Binson Echorec to choose from.

if someone wanys to send me an Alter Ego, i'd be happy to sit down and find settings as close as possible using the editor.

i'm thinking of doing a bunch of videos trying to replicate other standalone delays, but all i have right now is a Boss DSD and a bunch of modified Danelectro's..

what would you guys want to see if it was just pedal-format delays? DM-2? RE-20?
    Incomming!  :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the original x4 and always thought it didn't get much love. I have it loaded with echoplex in the tone prints. Whilst it's true its fugly only an idiot would pay £100 to swap over to the new alter ego just for a few more toneprints and better looks , like I just have after reading this thread .
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Argh, i have two thomann vouchers that I haven't decided what to do with and This is really tempting.. Not familiar with toneprint, would I be able to load a couple of the standard prints?
    shuikit said:
    Argh, i have two thomann vouchers that I haven't decided what to do with and This is really tempting.. Not familiar with toneprint, would I be able to load a couple of the standard prints?

Absolutely. There's a couple of slots on the rotary dial for toneprints, so you can pick whatever you want from the Flashback library of toneprints.