Guitar Poor

What's Hot
BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
Love the playing, and love the sentiment.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    "Oh Lord won't you help us we're all guitar poor!"  - the collective cry of the forum :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    “There’s nothing better than Vintage Guitar magazine.” 

Especially if you are about to run out of bog roll.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Bloody hell, he's brilliant. 
    Call me Dave.
  • That was great until he started talking, when he turned from a fabulous flat-picker into a snake-oil salesman. :D

Well, that's what he sounded like to me, anyway. I didn't bother listening to more than a few seconds' worth.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4152
    I remember this guy used to be a Taylor guitar endorsee around 99. Also didn’t he write the song. I don’t like spiders and snakes
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4152
    Looks like he didn’t write it , could have sworn there was some connection with him to that song 
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    That was great until he started talking, when he turned from a fabulous flat-picker into a snake-oil salesman. :D

Well, that's what he sounded like to me, anyway. I didn't bother listening to more than a few seconds' worth.
    Helluva picker. Not Tommy E, but a helluva picker.

Saw him play a UK guitar show in the early 90s. The playing was good but he told the cringiest, ladle-on-the-sincerity religious story I've ever heard. Something about a little girl and a white flower and the sweet baby Jesus. It creeped me the fuck out. And, I suspect, most of the other people there. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    "This Guy "......is Doyle Dykes ,one of the greatest guitarists in the world.......a CGP just like Tommy awarded by Chet .And one of only 3 still alive,
    Personally I think he's an even better player than Tommy but that's because he's more my style .There certainly isn't much difference to pick between the sill wise.

I remember this guy used to be a Taylor guitar endorsee around 99. Also didn’t he write the song. I don’t like spiders and snakes
    No that was Jim Crochet......he died young
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

KKJale said:
    That was great until he started talking, when he turned from a fabulous flat-picker into a snake-oil salesman. :D

Helluva picker. Not Tommy E, but a helluva picker.

Saw him play a UK guitar show in the early 90s. The playing was good but he told the cringiest, ladle-on-the-sincerity religious story I've ever heard. Something about a little girl and a white flower and the sweet baby Jesus. It creeped me the fuck out. And, I suspect, most of the other people there. 
    Yes , Sadly he's a Lay-Preacher from the good Ol' Bible Belt of the USA ..............shame.
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    edited April 2020
    Dominic said:
    "This Guy "......is Doyle Dykes ,one of the greatest guitarists in the world.......a CGP just like Tommy awarded by Chet .And one of only 3 still alive,
    Personally I think he's an even better player than Tommy but that's because he's more my style .There certainly isn't much difference to pick between the sill wise.
    He wasn’t awarded a CGP. 
    The original ones were John Knowles, Steve Wariner and Tommy Emmanuel then Chet’s family awarded Paul Yandell one. 

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    Dominic said:

No that was Jim Crochet......he died young
    It was actually Jim Stafford who wrote it and had a hit with it.    I think you are thinking of Jim Croce, who was a great singer/songwriter, who was killed in a plane crash at the height of his career, when he was only 30.  He wrote "Time In A Bottle", "Hard To Say I Love You In A Song" and "Don't Mess Around With Jim", among many others.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    He's a terrific player but he's also incredibly preachy.
    His shows are very impressive if you can blot out all the evangelical guff.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    "Oh Lord won't you help us we're all guitar poor!"  - the collective cry of the forum :)
    “Oh Lord won’t you buy me a PRS Private Stock,
    My friends all play Masterbuilt custom shop Fenders, I must make amends...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited April 2020
    I’m guessing he was paid per mention of Vintage Guitars magazine  ;-)

Nice playing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Just one more. Always just one more.