Home decorating - to strip or not to strip...

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24294
...that is the question.

My man cave is a small bedroom that was once wallpapered (plain, smooth).  Before we moved in a long time ago, it was painted over in magnolia.  I want it white.  The wallpaper is old and is starting to lift slightly at the joins.  I'm assuming it's just plaster underneath.

I could approach this one of two ways - either I get the wallpaper stripper out and steam every last bit off, fill in any accidental gouges and sand it all smooth then paint directly onto the plaster.  Or.... I try to paste / sand down the raised edges of the existing paper and then paint over the top of the lot.

Would you strip it or bodge it ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12351
    How old are the walls?  If you strip you run the risk of having to fill lots of holes and deep holes, if you are handy with filler or can knock up a bit of plaster it would probably look better. We had a decorator fill all the wallpaper joins and paint over it once and you couldn’t tell it wasn’t plastered. 

• wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    You're renting aren't you? I would bodge it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Personally I would avoid stripping it. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    Ahhhh, stripping wallpaper.

I was worried for a minute.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10403
    edited April 2020
    I would stick the lifting joints down with decorators caulk ..... unless you fancy 3 days of stripping off paper and 2 days filling ?:)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Ahhhh, stripping wallpaper.

I was worried for a minute.
    We'll it would save getting emulsion paint on your clothes
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    How old is the house.  In my first house, built c1900, the layers of wallpaper were the only things holding the walls together.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Leave it and play guitar.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I would advise against stripping the old paper, the horrors underneath are likely to be like painting the forth bridge. BUT if you choose to proceed, the paint will impede the moisture/steam and have you gouging out chunks of ancient plaster. Get an old wood saw, lay it almost flat on wall so the set of the teeth are resting on the paper and drag it across the surface leaving small scratches into surface. Do this all over and then wet the wall all over with a moist sponge. Perhaps wet it again an hour later and a while after that start using your steamer as normal. Good luck, you're gonna need it. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    If you strip it, you either need to seal it with something like Zinsser Guardz or remove all the glue, otherwise you may find you paint it, the paint will react with the glue, and it will bubble and look nasty. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24294
    You've all convinced me - it's bodge time !
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I have just stripped a small alcove in my house.

It's an old terrace, but some one has put a lot of love into it at some point and it has all been re-plastered and decorated to a high standard... Just not all to my taste.

Stripping was the easiest I have ever found it to be in any of the 4 old houses I have owned and decorated.

And yet..... There was still a surprise waiting under the wallpaper.   They had removed wall lights and papered right over the top of the old wires.   Leaving a hole right in the middle of the wall!

Not terrible I suppose, but not what I was expecting. It also explains the switch that doesn't do anything.   

https://i.imgur.com/0Vi7OLE.jpg

There is always a surprise waiting, even when you think things are in good condition.

In every other house I have just accepted I'm probable going back to brick once I start stripping paper 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Danny1969 said:
    I would stick the lifting joints down with decorators caulk ..... unless you fancy 300 days of stripping off paper and 200 days filling ?:)

Corrected. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Strip it.
    What else are you going to do in lockdown?
    Wallpaper's horrible stuff, it's a breeding ground for all kinds of nasties.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Musicwolf said:
    How old is the house.  In my first house, built c1900, the layers of wallpaper were the only things holding the walls together.
    I had the same in my 1930s place. The plaster had blown and virtually turned to dust under the wallpaper. I eventually stripped the whole room back to bare brick, only took a couple of hours. I did it with a shovel, most of it just fell off. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    go over it with lining paper and then paint. Cover the old joins with new paper. 
    That's not a bad idea....  I am however, monumentally lazy.  There is also the issue of the previous occupants having papered a horizontal strip - a wallpaper border, I believe their called, about two feet down from the ceiling.  That's been painted over too (see pic).  I think lining paper would hide that wouldn't it ?  It's no more than 0.5mm thick.... I can see it clearly now, but it's only got a few microns of paint over it.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    edited April 2020
    If the border is stuck on top of the paper then yes it’ll still show through lining paper. But like somebody else said, it’s a rented house isn’t it, so why are you bothered? I’d just stick another layer of lining paper over the whole thing, just don’t use the same drop lines or eventually it’ll all lift along the seams. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Why am I bothered ?  Because it'll annoy the hell out of me if I can see it all the time :-)  I'm very irritable most of the time :lol: 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Anyone up for a sweepstake as to how long this job will take to complete start?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom