What Have I done to My Cubase?

What's Hot
Bearing in mind that everything was fine and my eLicencer was up to date before this I caused this Fiasco!

I keep getting an annoying Pop Up box (Pic Below) come up on Cubase. When I load up "Instrument Track" and select Halion Sonic SE (which I've had for ages).

https://i.imgur.com/FYmTtvB.jpg

It seems I can still use it but I have no idea if I have lost some part of it, too much to go through.

Now, I'll attempt to explain what happened. I clicked on what I thought were updates in the Steinberg Hub and carried them through to completion. What I thought was an update actually ended up with me installing Halion Sonic 3.

On the pic below, the fourth and fifth items down are what I clicked on and installed. Don't ask me why, I was bored and thought "I know I'll look for updates for Cubase"

https://i.imgur.com/GjGIFMy.jpg

So, then I uninstalled what I had installed that day and was still getting the same pop up box (Pic 1).

I then restored my computer to an earlier time (the day before) and then I got this pop up (Pic Below) when trying to load up Halion Sonic SE (the one I already had)

https://i.imgur.com/jjApNgk.jpg

I couldn't even click this box away, I had to restart the Laptop by holding down the power button for 5 seconds.

I then checked on my eLicenser which had been fine before. I opened up and did the maintenance thing and got this pop up.

https://i.imgur.com/mR2cAO8.jpg

So, I followed these instructions and got the latest one, but I'm still getting the pop up box in Pic 1 when loading up Halion Sonic SE in my Cubase.

It's been a struggle explaining that, it's tied me in knots. Anyone know what the fuck I have done?

I did sign into my Steinberg account and there is no record that I "purchased" anything, unless I don't know where to look for that.

Thanks for any help.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I have no help to offer. I can only sympathise. My copy of cubase elements 8 stopped working because apparently I'm not licensed to use it, despite the fact that I have made absolutely no changes to my e-licenser since the last time I used it. trying to get it licensed against would not work properly, and after 30 min of trying, I can't be arsed waste anymore time trying to figure it out since my main DAW is now Ableton Live. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Contact Cubase support.
    That doesn't look right- it is possible that the license software has been corrupted.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5845
    Thanks Peeps, it still works, as in, I can get sounds out of the Halion Sonic, but the pop up is annoying and I best make sure it's all OK. Tomorrow's job then: Cubase Support.

Daft question @Branshen but did you try downloading the latest eLicenser software? I had an issue last year that the Hub wouldn't connect to the internet, I did what I mentioned and it worked ok.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9699
    I can only use Cubase because I find it too hard to learn any of the others (and I know the plugins well) but I really hate how often I have to uninstall everything (software and licenser) to reinstall it again through the MySteinberg rigmarole. If anybody ever solves this they'd be my hero forever
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    The is maintenance utility for the eLicencer, have you tried running it? I had a similar problem with my Cubase license, and it sorted it out. 
    Lodious said:
    The is maintenance utility for the eLicencer, have you tried running it? I had a similar problem with my Cubase license, and it sorted it out. 
    Aye, done that.
    After looking at some recommended articles in Steinberg Support covering issues such as this. It says I must still have something on the PC that hasn't been uninstalled or that something has expired. It recommended downloading Steinberg Library Manager.

I've just downloaded it and even though I thought I'd uninstalled all the things I downloaded on Friday, it is showing that something called "Halion Sonic Factory Content" is still present and the installation date is Friday's date.

If I click on "Details" it shows around 25 Synth Sounds, but the overall content size is 1,67GB, wow, that's big. It lists the sounds and some of the individual ones are 100MB +,

The other 2 products in the Library manager are:

Halion Sonic SE Artist 113.12MB

Halion Sonic SE Basic 3.97MB

But the installation Dates on these 2 items are wrong as I didn't even have this stuff on my PC until late 2015.

Plus, in Cubase, when I load Halion Sonic, it is Halion Sonic SE2.

I dare not click the "remove" option for Halion Sonic Factory Content, but with this having Friday's date as the installation date, I'm sure this is why I am getting the message in Cubase.

In fact every installation date in that Library is wrong except the one for last Friday. I sent a message to them explaining the same as what's in the O.P. Let's see if they come back to me.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    I've cured similar issues with my last Cubase install by getting everything up and running then never contacting Steinberg Hub ever again, no updates, no nothing. 

As a tech ignoramus the only way I've found over nearly 20 years of keeping everything working day after day is to get it where you need it to be then treat it like a stand alone piece of recording hardware, just living with whatever limitations it has. 

Not much help now I know, but I used to always end up with "cannot find this or that" pop-ups every time I started Cubase, or couldn't reopen projects from a year ago because something was missing/changed. 

To be honest, most of us only start messing because we're bored, we don't NEED a choice of 27 third party EQs on every channel. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    I've cured similar issues with my last Cubase install by getting everything up and running then never contacting Steinberg Hub ever again, no updates, no nothing. 

As a tech ignoramus the only way I've found over nearly 20 years of keeping everything working day after day is to get it where you need it to be then treat it like a stand alone piece of recording hardware, just living with whatever limitations it has. 

Not much help now I know, but I used to always end up with "cannot find this or that" pop-ups every time I started Cubase, or couldn't reopen projects from a year ago because something was missing/changed. 

To be honest, most of us only start messing because we're bored, we don't NEED a choice of 27 third party EQs on every channel. 
    That's what I have always done. Except the other day when I though "Oooooh, I'll just see what.............."

I'm going back to yours and my former philosophy :)
  • My Cubase Elements plays up sometimes when there is a Windows 10 update. I have to sign is as administrator, and that fixes the e-licence issue each time. Maybe that might help you.
    My Cubase Elements plays up sometimes when there is a Windows 10 update. I have to sign is as administrator, and that fixes the e-licence issue each time. Maybe that might help you.
    It's not an eLicenser issue though, Victor. I know it's complicated but it seems to revolve around Halion Sonic(although it still works). It's telling me there is something that needs uninstalling from the steinberg updates I did last week. Windows updates have never affected it AFAIK. In my post a bit further up it's the Halion Factory manager, but I dare not uninstall that as I might end up uninstalling the entire Halion Sonic package.
    No response from Steinberg Support after 13 days. I even sent a separate request to get into the Forum as I'd forgot both my username and password, that was over a week ago, fuck all response to that either. Tossers!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    @Bellycaster their online support is flaky but I got an answer via twitter in a couple of hours. Try following them and DMing on there ... this is assuming you’re on Twitter of course
    YouBellycaster said:
    No response from Steinberg Support after 13 days. I even sent a separate request to get into the Forum as I'd forgot both my username and password, that was over a week ago, fuck all response to that either. Tossers!
    I raised a support ticket for Groove Agent a week ago (it keeps crashing), nothing back. TBH every time I buy or upgrade something from Steinberg I end up thinking 'never again'. 
    Finally fixed after a remote session. I think I somehow had licences missing. I don't know how, I paid for everything I owned. The update must have corrupted something. Anyway, no quibbles, he just re-installed all the stuff I had from Steinberg.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2020
    Finally fixed after a remote session. I think I somehow had licences missing. I don't know how, I paid for everything I owned. The update must have corrupted something. Anyway, no quibbles, he just re-installed all the stuff I had from Steinberg.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. What's happened is you have had the full HALion library loaded. If it happens again you can check via the Steinberg Library Manager app. This allows you to check content and remove. move or download library content.

Another tip you may not be aware of - never do an upgrade. Use the Steinberg Download Assistant and do a full install if moving from one version to another. It takes longer but I've always found it to work. When I've done upgrades in the past I've often found things don't work as the older components are not always where the newer version of Cubase expects them to be.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Lodious said:
    YouBellycaster said:
    I raised a support ticket for Groove Agent a week ago (it keeps crashing), nothing back. TBH every time I buy or upgrade something from Steinberg I end up thinking 'never again'. 

What's the problem?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Lodious said:
    YouBellycaster said:
    I raised mine on April 7th @Lodious , it seems it's taking a while longer for you to get your first response. I'd give em a nudge. It did take 43 days for my first response though.
    Fretwired said:

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. What's happened is you have had the full HALion library loaded. If it happens again you can check via the Steinberg Library Manager app. This allows you to check content and remove. move or download library content.

Another tip you may not be aware of - never do an upgrade. Use the Steinberg Download Assistant and do a full install if moving from one version to another. It takes longer but I've always found it to work. When I've done upgrades in the past I've often found things don't work as the older components are not always where the newer version of Cubase expects them to be.
    It was a very weird one @Fretwired ; I did already have Halion Sonic and Groove agent which I purchased waaaaaay before this happened. I did also download the Steinberg Library manager and located the offending download that was done on the 3rd April and removed it from my Laptop.

It was just an "Update", not an "Upgrade". It was the 4th one down in Pic 2 in the OP. Says maintenance. It was pure curiosity and we all know what that did.

From now on, if it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it.

Funny thing is, everything worked during the "problem". I just found the constant message annoying and just had to get it removed.

I'll follow that advice on upgrades though, although I think I'm quite satisfied with what I have on the DAW level.
    Lodious said:
    YouBellycaster said:
    I raised mine on April 7th @Lodious , it seems it's taking a while longer for you to get your first response. I'd give em a nudge. It did take 43 days for my first response though.
    Glad you got it sorted :-)

They did get back to me a couple of weeks ago with a pretty brief suggestion which I think may have been bollocks. I'd already fixed it based on Googling the issue.