Where to start with Reaper

What's Hot
With the Coronavirus lock down preventing me getting out I’m turning to recording. Nothing complicated. I need to record some guitar parts for a solo singer, so that she can practice at home. I also want to record rhythm and solo guitar for an mp3 that I’ve been sent, then send the tracks back for mix down. Neither of these are complicated, and the latter doesn’t need any post recording treatment.

So far I’ve loaded Reaper onto an SSD Windows laptop, and begun to read the manual. Obviously I could spend a couple of days watching YouTube videos, but I thought I’d start by delving into the forum’s knowledge bank. Where would you go from here?
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2176
    The Kenny Gioia videos on the Reaper website. 
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    You can download a portable version of Reaper you can take with you on a usb stick. May be handy . You will be limited with the plugins you can use. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Have you used a DAW before? 

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Which interface ?
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356

Assuming you have an interface with the drivers installed 

Click Options then preferences then Audio then devices ... make sure your interface is selected for in \ out and not the Windows Wave out or similar 

Click track - insert new track - click the input of the track and select the input so it matchs what your guitars plugged in to on your audio interface ... in 1 for example

Then hit CTRL & R to begin recording
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    I found this to be a very informative video when I (just recently) got started with Reaper:

It's slightly slow going at the start, but when it gets going it takes you quite a way along. I found watching it to be a very good use of my time.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Kenny Gioia is the man.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Jalapeno said:
    Which interface ?
    Danny1969 said:

Assuming you have an interface with the drivers installed ...
      It's only a single guitar input, so I was hoping to go via USB from my AxeFX. Reaper's showing a 10/10ms latency. However what I'm hearing is more than 100ms, which is presumably coming from the AxeFX USB. My laptop doesn't have an audio input, only USB, so I need to pause for thought.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    What laptop is it? Many laptops have a single port which users assume is only a headphone port but it’s actually dynamically switchable in software to operate as a mic  in a line in or head phone out. Not all laptops have this feature but quite common on Dell \ HP \ Macbook Pro etc

Or monitor through the Helix and turn off input monitoring on the channel your recording on. Be no latency at all then 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Danny1969 said:
    What laptop is it? Many laptops have a single port which users assume is only a headphone port but it’s actually dynamically switchable in software to operate as a mic  in a line in or head phone out. Not all laptops have this feature but quite common on Dell \ HP \ Macbook Pro etc

Or monitor through the Helix and turn off input monitoring on the channel your recording on. Be no latency at all then 
    This

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I had this when connecting my helix to a windows laptop via usb and monitoring everything via the helix.
    It ended up that my usb output sample rate was different to the one in reaper , when I swapped them both to be 48khz, latency disappeared. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Thanks, that’s useful.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    When you "arm" recording on a track in Reaper it will show the level meters. Your basic input should be between -18 to -6. Use the trim pot on your interface so peaks at -6 max.

It's easier to make a quiet track louder afterwards and impossible to reduce an original that's clipped to sh1te.