iPhone to record video for Facebook

What's Hot
A couple of friends have asked me to post some videos on Facebook, the only device I have is my iP XR. Having just tried a couple of recordings the results are dire to say the least. I certainly wasn’t expecting studio quality from such a basic setup but I had hoped it might be useable.
  Vocals didn’t sound too bad but the guitar accompaniment had all the tone sucked out of it. What is anyone else using, do I need an interface to use a decent mic, bearing in mind my phone only has a lightning connector. For the amount of time I’m likely to do this I don’t want to spend a fortune.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12324
    As mentioned in another thread today I video'd this on an ipad with a Zoom IQ6 which is a flash connector microphone, I paid about £60 from amazon, there is a 7 now not sure how much it is - an improvement on the phone mic, in a band situation a lot depends on where you stand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0BtdFpw9-Y
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 256
    Thanks, that sounds pretty good , vast improvement on what I achieved.
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    @fretfinder what's your phone/mic setup again? A Shure one?
  • Lighting is the key.  Lots of light or well placed light .
    There are lots of great LED lights to be had reasonably now ,plus use of natural light too.
      Filmic pro is a good movie shooting app

This Bentley ad was shot on a 5s.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This guy is good 
    https://youtu.be/g8a4F6mVX64
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    The way to do it is to record the audio separately and use a clap to time align them in FCP or Premiere.

I've done gear reviews this way, it is fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395
    If you buy a camera adapter for the iphone you connect any USB audio interface and get decent quality audio straight into the phone which syncs to the iphones video as it replaces the iphones mic audio. We did a couple of live gigs broadcast to facebook with this set up. 

Connect the USB camera adapter to the iphone. now connect the USB type A port of the adapter to the USB B port on the  hub. Then connect the USB audio interface to the hub using your normal type A to B cable. Use another port on the hub to connect a lighting cable back to the adapter so your phones got charging power. 

Go to your camera ap, choose video ... start playing into your USB interface and boom, decent sound straight on the video. 

We broadcasts a couple of social distancing gigs in a factory direct to Facebook with this setup and the sound was so much better

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Thanks for the replies, got my head around this now, if I use the Apple USB3 adapter I can plugin my Zoom 8 track in the Usb socket & power up the phone with the additional lightning socket, perfect.