Reaper is popping

What's Hot
Hi all

I'm recording into Reaper via Focusrite 6i6 and starting to get popping noise.

I thought it was a bad guitar lead connection, but I've realised it's on both the vocal and the guitar tracks that were recorded live simultaneously (at the same spots). Any ideas what could cause this? Examples below of the solo'd guitar and vocal to show that it's on both tracks:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_3MSL8RWeGR-KXVLj25MeN7RoaTEw5Sq

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DMll4qaS6hsBviZ6OM4eqK7xybqUan5u

Thanks!

J

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    Hard to be sure from the clips but I suggest to increase the buffer size (which will in turn increase latency).  Are you directly monitoring or via Reaper.  If the latter then you are always going to be battling with pops vs longer latency.  If direct monitoring then crank that buffer up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4087
    Yea usually a sample size issue. 

If your pc can't handle thre number of fx used when recording or mixing,  increase thre sample rate and it will be fine.   I tend to record at a low sample rate and mix at a larger rate when all thr tracks and fx are going on.  
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Thanks @Musicwolf and @fastonebaz I'm not doing anything complex in Reaper but my Mac has got very slow generally so maybe it's struggling. I'm not sure what you mean by monitoring via Reaper. So one thing I could do is mute all the effects while recording?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    If it’s an older Mac, quit all other applications apart from reaper and and guitar sims you’re using etc. Mute tracks that aren’t relevant for what you’re recording and disable all plugins you don’t need for tracking. 

Do you have your monitors/headphones connected to the Scarlett or Mac? 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    When I moved from a Roland interface to a 6i6 I found I was able to massively reduce my buffer size. This was fine when recording one track at a time but when at some point I tried recording 2 at a time, I got popping. I took the buffer size back up a bit (still much smaller than previously) and all was well.

Fwiw this was running Reaper on a low-spec iMac.
    I'm running Reaper on a 2009 base model Macbook Pro with a 2i2 and recording two tracks each time (57 and C1000) and it's running well.

For the demos i'm making, I have Ezdrummer, DI bass with Bias Amp and four or six guitar tracks with minimal plugins. Actually, each doubled track is bussed to a further channel with simple EQ and compression.
    Thanks all. I'm a bit unsure what's going on in that case. I've hardly got any tracks or effects running, and this is a reasonably powered mac (I think, I'm not an expert). Can someone tell me if this spec should be fine?

Screenshot-2020-04-21-at-10-26-25

Screenshot-2020-04-21-at-10-26-34

That should be absolutely fine mate. That spec makes my machine look like a toy. Can you give a basic overview of your workflow?
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    The only time I've heard that is when I've stuck a couple of parts together without "blending" (can't think of the correct term?) them.
    The only time I've heard that is when I've stuck a couple of parts together without "blending" (can't think of the correct term?) them.
    do you mean glueing? at least in reaper i'm pretty sure thats what you mean 
    edited April 2020
    No it's more like slightly overlapping them so there isn't a sudden stop/start.

Sorry not used it (or any daw) for years! 

Oh - crossfading?
    Hmmm, on a recent test, I only had one guitar track and one vocal track, recording to both, no effects. It must be a problem with the Mac itself do you think?

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    Have you tried contacting Focusrite Support?
    They are pretty good and will be able to help.

I found this solution for a 2i2 that was clicking on Gearslutz.
    It might work:

Steps to do this:
    1. Unplug the Scarlett 2i2 (in your case the 6i6) from the usb port
    2. go to Mac HD > System > Library > Extensions and delete FocusriteUsb2Audio.kext
    3. Empty your trash can
    4. Shut down your computer
    5. Plug in the Scarlett 2i2 (in your case the 6i6)
    6. Boot your computer
    rico said:

Oh - crossfading?

Sounds more like the thing. If there's no joins at the pops though it won't be that so not much help  :3
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2020
    I've done the following things in the past when I've have issues on previous computers/laptops, but this is for a Window OS so I'm not sure how applicable it would be for a Mac.

1) Temporarily disable wireless while running Reaper

2) Check the System processes (is there and equivalent for a Mac?). On a previous old computer I once found a process that was occasionally using significant CPU which coincided with drop outs. So, after checking it was safe to do so, I disabled that process.

3) Set my system to Adjust for best performance, rather than let Window choose. Is there an equivalent for a Mac?

4) Run a utility to check my systems ability to handle audio. But before downloading and running anything I always do a significant amount of Googling to check it isn't dodgy. In the past, on an older systems, I've used DPC Latency Checker and, more recently, Resplendence Latencymon. I think they only work for Windows, but you might be able to Google to find a Mac alternative. 

Perhaps it's worth Googling to see how to optimise a Mac for best audio performance.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've done the following things in the past when I've have issues on previous computers/laptops, but this is for a Window OS so I'm not sure how applicable it would be for a Mac.

1) Temporarily disable wireless while running Reaper

2) Check the System processes (is there and equivalent for a Mac?). On a previous old computer I once found a process that was occasionally using significant CPU which coincided with drop outs. So, after checking it was safe to do so, I disabled that process.

3) Set my system to Adjust for best performance, rather than let Window choose. Is there an equivalent for a Mac?

4) Run a utility to check my systems ability to handle audio. But before downloading and running anything I always do a significant amount of Googling to check it isn't dodgy. In the past, on an older systems, I've used DPC Latency Checker and, more recently, Resplendence Latencymon. I think they only work for Windows, but you might be able to Google to find a Mac alternative. 

Perhaps it's worth Googling to see how to optimise a Mac for best audio performance.

Great thanks, will give it a go. I'm also going to make sure all the operating systems are bang up to date.

@ijonty also make sure that any cpu heavy apps are closed (some webpages make my Mac go reeeaaalll slow). I use istat menus for keeping an eye on things. 

What method of monitoring are you using? Through reaper or through the focusrite?