Pensions and ISA ideas

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11893
    DefaultM said:
    I've been thinking about things that are useless now, but in the future people will need again. So my first thought was the cinema etc, then I found this leisure industry tracker with Cineworld and P&O Ferries etc. Was at about 10000 and now at 6000 odd.
    Does this seem like a sensible thing to filter my money in to at the minute, or are there better options? You can search for it under NMX5750.
    you need to check the books of each company
    cineworld looks like it might go bust
    their debts are huge, and they are claiming massive "intangible assets", i.e. brand name, which I think is taking the piss really:
    https://uk.advfn.com/p.php?pid=financials&symbol=LSE%3ACINE

Net Tangible Asset Value PS *-358.08p

if you search, you will find ones with a positive value per share several times large than the share price

The price was below 20p last month
    https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/london/cineworld-CINE/chart/real-time
    now around 60p, so you are too late to make the first stage gain with that one 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Interesting times on the stock market and the conundrum of whether we are in a Bear Trap or a genuine recovery. Completely co-incidentally to the Coronavirus crash, a move I had planned since 2019 was to invest some funds from my annual bonus which was due at end of February, into a Stocks & Shares ISA in some new mutual funds for long term wealth building for retirement separate from my work pension. I opened the account as soon as I was paid on 28th Feb but it took a while for the money to get taken and invested as it was a new account and, as I said completely co-incidentally, it hit the market on 17th March....which appears to be the exact day we hit the bottom of the drop (so far), so it has gained very well since.

One of the funds I chose is the Baillie Gifford American Fund B Accumulation and in the top 5 holding are Netflix, Amazon, Tesla. The fund is doing well in the rebound and is nearing complete recovery and I have gained 28% from it since it opened mid March.

I hope this is not a bear trap and that we are on the way back properly and, if it is, what luck with the coincidental timing! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Amazon and Netflix are looking like great picks right now :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Amazon and Netflix are looking like great picks right now :)
    Still?....not too late?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    sorry, I meant in retrospect.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    This is interesting and highlights how stock market performance and the performance of the  economy are not directly linked. It goes some way to explaining why in the face of the current economic turmoil the stock market is rising.

https://youtu.be/0ECqDaPjjV0

I posted my "will cv19 trigger a crash" post on 14th Feb

If I'd known what I have learned about investing, I would have but put options on the S+P on the 14th Feb when I posted this
    I have only checked one price, and it went up 100x between then and 23rd March, So £1k could have become £100k. Wow. You live and learn

This was influenced by reading 

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable

after I saw that their fund went up 3600% March

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-08/taleb-advised-universa-tail-risk-fund-returned-3-600-in-march

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    The markets are a real paradox. The economic news is grim:

but the global indexes are bouncing:

One of the mutual funds I'm in is up 24% this year to date:

• Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1050
    I’ve had good success with the Fundsmith fund through the Hargreaves Lansdown platform. I transferred mine and my Missus’s ISA’s and Pensions and have been well impressed.
    It has performed extremely well and not been hit anywhere near as much as others as it mainly consists of solid companies rather than value stocks. 

Rob1742 said:
    I’ve had good success with the Fundsmith fund through the Hargreaves Lansdown platform. I transferred mine and my Missus’s ISA’s and Pensions and have been well impressed.
    It has performed extremely well and not been hit anywhere near as much as others as it mainly consists of solid companies rather than value stocks. 

Nice one. I'll have a look.

Advice from lots of places says that US equities have bounced back without just cause, and that many are standing back and holding cash instead. Your choice, but I'm keeping away from US stocks at the minute
    edited April 2020

If I'd known what I have learned about investing, I would have but put options on the S+P on the 14th Feb when I posted this
    I have only checked one price, and it went up 100x between then and 23rd March, So £1k could have become £100k. Wow. You live and learn

Isn't that a bit like saying “if only I'd picked these numbers I would have won the lottery”?

it's easy to know what to have done in hindsight. Having a plan for tomorrow and backing it up your money is the real test.

How much are you prepared to lose over the next 7-10 years tail hedging as insurance against the next black swan event?

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I am holding off any new investing at the moment. I don't think we've seen the real picture yet. I am concerned that the real dip will happen in a few months once the realities of this hiatus hit and the government's support reduces. I think there is chunk of business that are still assessing their losses and where the full financial impact hasn't hit. 
    I don't think the current rally is a rally at all, but a short term reaction to the easing of lockdowns. Notice that with the slightest bit of bad news markets dip. I think we could go into a bigger dip before we see a long slow growth.

As big companies, one after another, start to reveal big losses, then the situation might resolve.

All a bit of guesswork, even by the experts as we are in unknown territory
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Well.....Barclays is up....so that's ok with me ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 

Isn't that a bit like saying “if only I'd picked these numbers I would have won the lottery”?

it's easy to know what to have done in hindsight. Having a plan for tomorrow and backing it up your money is the real test.

How much are you prepared to lose over the next 7-10 years tail hedging as insurance against the next black swan event?
    not really, it's a standard procedure to hedge against losses in your long (term) positions during times of uncertainty. Try reading the FTR guide to investing, it takes you through this

The author gave this advice in Feb 2019, after explaining how overvalued the US market is:
    https://newsletters.advfn.com/deepvalueshares/subscribe-1

not really, it's a standard procedure to hedge against losses in your long (term) positions during times of uncertainty. Try reading the FTR guide to investing, it takes you through this

The author gave this advice in Feb 2019, after explaining how overvalued the US market is:

Well I hope all this learned reading you're doing is making you money!

Well I hope all this learned reading you're doing is making you money!
    yes, still not getting 100% right of course, but all the skills will help me grow the pension pot after retirement too, so well worth learning
    edited May 2020
    Rob1742 said:

Been looking at Fundsmith and it's good performing mutual fund so is of great interest to me. Unfortunately I can't select it within my company pension via Standard Life, which is a shame as I think I would be happy to transfer some money to it.

I'm not sure what to make of Terry Smith, he seem a little arrogant and has a whiff of salesman about him but the fund has performed well and cannot knock the the Fundsmith strategy of holding 30 or so good companies fo the long term.

I watched the annual meeting and thought t was quite interesting

Some fear in the stock market this week with a sharp drop today of around 3% so far in the FTSE markets.

Is this the start of the slow slide back down as the reality of the economic impact hits home after the April and early May rally?

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The big question is V or U or L? 
    This is neck shapes, right?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom