Hartke HD15 vs HD25? Ordered EBS instead!

mbembe Frets: 1840
edited April 2020 in Bass
Access to the Trace Elliot is out due to pub lockout. So I've been looking at bass practice amps and overwhelmed by the choice. I've narrowed it down to the little Hartke amps and it's just for quiet practice with a 4-string in the boxroom.

The difference in price between the two is negligible and, being short of space I would prefer the size of the HD15 but wondered if it would be preferable to go for the HD25 with the 8 inch speaker.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I remember a rehearsal room i used years ago had a Laney amp that I thought was good. The RB1 might be worth a look.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    @pintspiller I agree the Laney amps are pretty good, I gigged an RB4 for a few years. Just fancying a Hartke to try the speaker mainly. The 15 watter would have more than enough power but I don't know if the 6.5" speaker would be lacking in tone compared to the 25 watt version with the bigger speaker.
    There's so much choice in bass practice amps that it's difficult making a decision what to buy when the shops are closed and no chance to physically try them out. I dithered about the Hartke because I want something as compact as the HD15 but with the 8" speaker and more oomph like the HD25.

In the end I got an EBS Class Session 30 delivered today which I find ideal in a Goldilocks sort of way. It's very small for the power it puts out but it seems very well put together. More than enough power than I need but I find the headroom very reassuring. I thought the lack of a mid control might prove lacking but the bass and treble controls work well together, very much like the simple Baxandall tone circuit. Another selling point is the balanced XLR output, not normally seen on amps of this size. I'm gonna love tracking with this without the needi to use headphones.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    I was once buying a Hartke T shirt in a music shop when the assistant asked me "How long have you known Larry?" I was a bit perplexed and said "What - er no I don't know him?" 
    "Oh, I thought you were together - He's stood right behind you!"  :) 

@icu81b4 ; was that in New York?
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    edited April 2020
    Yes - I had some photo's taken with him