Duncan 59 - good all round PAF?

What's Hot
TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2933
edited April 2020 in Guitar
I've fancied trying a lower output PAF style pickup in my SG bridge position for a while and just seen a 59 bridge for sale at a decent price on here. Much as I'd like an Oil City or Bare Knuckle I don't want to spend that much on something I might not like. Does the 59 bridge give a good general purpose PAF style tone for rock in an SG? Main concerns are that it might be a bit thin/bright as I like a middy tone, but the natural mids of the SG should balance it out?

My current bridge pickup is a Bare Knuckle Warpig which was great for fattening it up and for metal stuff but I just want more of a classic vintagey SG tone now.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5464
    edited April 2020
    Nothing wrong with them, I think they are quite neutral in character though which perfectly suits some people and other not so much, but they sound like a decent humbucker and do the job for not a lot of money. 

Edit: should note I’ve never played them in an SG, my experience comes from using them in a couple Knaggs guitars for which they are stock. One was bought with the intention of replacing them but the whole package sounded really exceptionally good so I just didn’t bother. Suspect that was a bit of “sum of all parts” with that specific example though.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14649
    IMHO, the Duncan SH-1 ‘59 does a fine job of impersonating an old Gibson humbucker AFTER a bar magnet swap. 

A4 and a metal cover for the neck/Rhythm position.

Roughcast and/or un-oriented A5 for the bridge/Treble position.

If anything, the brightness of this pickup compensates for the all-mahogany body construction of a Gibson SG.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2007
    I think I prefer the Jjazz, but it depends what guitar it's in.

I had a swamp ash / flatsawn maple superstrat and the '59 was a perfect match.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72858
    It might be inappropriate for me to comment in case it’s my one you’re looking at ;), but I think it will do what you want :).

The ‘59 is more even-sounding, a bit chunkier and less ‘airy’ than a real PAF-type, although it’s in the same ballpark. The bridge one is just a tiny bit overwound, enough to help with balancing it with the neck but without really changing the character. It is quite bright, but it’s also potted which helps with higher-gain sounds compared to a true vintage PAF copy. Basically it’s a good modern version of a PAF without the drawbacks, but also without quite the same ‘magic’... if that makes sense!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    I can’t speak for a genuine PAF (never had the pleasure) but along the lines of @Funkfingers recommendation, a mag swap to Alnico IV can balance out the tone of the 59 and make it a bit less mid-scooped

The Suhr Thornbucker Bridge is pretty much the above as an off the shelf unit
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4149
    I have an SG 2018 standard and thr neck pickup on that is sublime.  Highly recommend those pups.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2933
    edited April 2020
    Sounds like it might do what I want then had anyone compared it to an Irongear Blues Engine? I have liked AIV pickups in the past, Bare Knuckle Mules were great all-rounders in my Les Paul although I remember finding them a bit "plain" in my SG.

@fastonebaz is that the 490R? I really like that in an SG and shouldn't have sold it really.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1276
    I believe it’s what’s in the neck position of my Graham Coxon Telecaster, obviously it’s a very different application but it works very, very nicely there...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3730
    edited April 2020
    Get a Tonerider Alnico II or Alnico IV classic...

best value pickups out there.  Paying for a name with SD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 316
    TTBZ said:
    Sounds like it might do what I want then had anyone compared it to an Irongear Blues Engine? I have liked AIV pickups in the past, Bare Knuckle Mules were great all-rounders in my Les Paul although I remember finding them a bit "plain" in my SG.

@fastonebaz is that the 490R? I really like that in an SG and shouldn't have sold it really.
    I’ve compared a ‘59 to Blues Engines - Iron Gears clearly win out. Clearer, less shrill than the ‘59 and beefier under high gain. It’s essentially the magnet swap @Funkfingers recommended (BEs are A4) but done and wax potted for you...and cheaper.
    edited April 2020
    Did you directly compare them in the same guitar? Must admit I like the idea of getting a complete set for about £70 new! My only concern with the Blues Engine is that I might have the same problem I had with my Mules ie fine, just a bit plain/polite sounding. 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3082
    Never tried it as a bridge pickup but I love it as a neck pickup. I have a 59 going into a Warmoth build and I've had a Lil 59 in the neck position of my Strat.
  • Allan Holdsworth used the neck 59, in the bridge, but with double screws. 
    The neck '59 is probably my favourite neck humbucker - it's like a PAF but more even and slightly fuller, and non-microphonic. It also seems to split better, if you need that - it's the lowest-output pickup that I think splits well. I prefer it over the Jazz and Pearly Gates in the Duncan range, both of which can sound a bit thin to me. I don't like the bridge '59 anywhere near as much though, for me it's too bright and not high enough output, but that's just because I prefer something more modern and midrangy there. (I know that's the exact opposite of what TTBZ is looking for though!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2007
    BUT!!

DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THE SILVER LOGO??
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3082
    Schnozz said:
    BUT!!

Toothpaste + clean cloth + elbow grease.

Sounds mental but worked for me.
    Schnozz said:

T-Cut or Brasso.

edited April 2020
    @ICBM not necessarily, I don't want something bright and weak sounding. Just more of a vintage kinda vibe but still needs to be punchy and powerful. Thinking about it I did have a Custom 5 in here for a bit and found it too scooped/muddy so I'm wondering if the 59 will be too scooped again. 

Once again leaning towards just finding a 2nd hand 498t again! Or maybe my original plan of a BK Mississippi Queen P90 if I can find a 2nd hand one. Won't be a PAF but if it matches the neck one it should sound great.
    edited April 2020
    TTBZ said:
    @ICBM not necessarily, I don't want something bright and weak sounding. Just more of a vintage kinda vibe but still needs to be punchy and powerful. Thinking about it I did have a Custom 5 in here for a bit and found it too scooped/muddy so I'm wondering if the 59 will be too scooped again.
    Probably - I do find it too bright and thin in most guitars, personally.

I've got a DiMarzio Air Norton if that's any good? It splits the difference between vintage and modern quite nicely - clearer and more 'airy' (I don't know if that's how they got the name, but it fits) than a typical high-output type but more punchy than a typical PAF-type - 12.6K (although DC resistance is not gospel as to output!). Traditional screw/slug poles rather than double Allen screws.

• Yamaha77Yamaha77 Frets: 77
    Get a Tonerider Alnico II or Alnico IV classic...

best value pickups out there.  Paying for a name with SD.
    Have a wisdom, they are very good sounding