Strymon Iridium - Long Review - And Why It Simply Works...

What's Hot

Comments

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I'm using the Iridium (with a Kingsley Jouster and a Cali 76 in front) in the HX stomp's stereo loop and it's great. Quite a neat solution. The HX stomp does all modulation and post amp delay/reverbs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Agree on the iridium. Very useful and instant results. Love the spire too. 

That said my iridium seems to have a fault. Can't bypass it and there's just a continuous hum (which effectively simulates a faulty carlsbro
    i had in the 80s but not much else...)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    lukedlb said:
    Could the Iridium benefit from having a Revival drive or similar before it?
    Is this a better solution to the trouble and investment or micing up your own amp for recording? 
    does it beat the woolly coats in terms of home practice? The question is not necessarily referring to sound or playability. Home practice is often about convenience. 
    Does the headphone output feel like an ‘extra’ feature or done to the highest standard?
    I assume you went with the Iridium as it ticks all boxes:
    backup in case amp goes. 
    Headphones practice.
    easy home recording. 

Won’t your UA interface and plugins provide a better recording and practice situation?
    Some interesting questions there Luke !

1.) Is this a better solution to the trouble and investment or micing up your own amp for recording? 

It is 
    instant, and relatively cheap. To use your own words, for me personally there is less trouble and investment.

2.) Does it beat the woolly coats in terms of home practice?

Nothing Ive played at home yet beats the Woolly Coats for the clean Fender Princeton sound, but the convenience of headphones, DI the pedalboard, etc is well worth it.

3.) Does the headphone output feel like an ‘extra’ feature or done to the highest standard?

Highest standard. Sounds like the amps, sound just like my board.

4.) Won’t your UA interface and plugins provide a better recording and practice situation?

I would imagine so, BUT Ive yet to receive and try the UAD Apollo and 
    software. 

So, to summarise;

- simple, easy instant to use

- sounds great

- sounds 'real', not digital

- I understand it !!

- Can be used as a back up live

- Headphones for late night/when quiet is needed

- Brings my board, and my sounds to life in all situations. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Lebarque said:
    Forget the Iridium, that Spire thing sounds very cool! Could be just the ticket for me
    I'll post a review of the Spire soon mate :)
    Lebarque said:
    Forget the Iridium, that Spire thing sounds very cool! Could be just the ticket for me
    I'll post a review of the Spire soon mate :)
    Here is the Spire review;

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/178067/izotope-spire-a-review?new=1
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    The Iridium is great.

The only thing I would change about it is that I would like the ability to run a cab IR without an amp.  That way I could use one of the IR slots for an acoustic through my pedal board.

I think you can do it, but you have power it up like that.  You hold something down when you power it up to disable the amp.  Not really practical live for switching between electric and acoustic.
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    crunchman said:
    The Iridium is great.

The only thing I would change about it is that I would like the ability to run a cab IR without an amp.  That way I could use one of the IR slots for an acoustic through my pedal board.

I think you can do it, but you have power it up like that.  You hold something down when you power it up to disable the amp.  Not really practical live for switching between electric and acoustic.
    Can't you do it using midi or having a favourite in this config and another one being the regular iridium?
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 116
    I’ve been umming and ahhing on this and you would've pushed me to buy one today, if anyone had them in stock. 
    Feck it. Ordered one today. Found a shop in France who had one left. Lockdown boredom strikes again!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Can the Iridium suit the end of a pedal board chain before an amp? Thought I'd read it didn't suit that position? Thanks for the advice here.
    Jon
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    I’ve been umming and ahhing on this and you would've pushed me to buy one today, if anyone had them in stock. 
    Feck it. Ordered one today. Found a shop in France who had one left. Lockdown boredom strikes again!
    Tbh, most of the ones I've seen on ebay in the last week or 2 have sold for pretty much full price, so it's as risk free as you can get at the moment if you dont like
  • Warren, great writeup...I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Deco, always been fascinated by that one.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Warren, great writeup...I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Deco, always been fascinated by that one.
    That's very kind of you mate :)

Full Deco review soon...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited April 2020
    Good write-up.

What is the round thing that looks like some sort of practice gizmo ?

Edit: It's the Izotope Spire
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    the round is very good but even though I haven't heard it in person the Firebox seems to be even better tone wise ( purely based on yt reviews) has xlr, good effects and sells for 2/3rd of the iridium's price . Would love to hear an A/B comparison 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited April 2020
    The Iridium looks pretty cool and has MIDI.  One of those and a TC plethora would make a cool mini board. You could get them both on a pedaltrain nano +. 

But then you'd also want a midi controllable overdrive.

And I already have a modelling based board...It's got your old Boss RC-3 on it. Midi loop switcher underneath the board handles all switching of the non-MIDI pedals.

• daviesjdaviesj Frets: 26
    Nelsonp that’s exactly what I am thinking of doing, ordered an iridium today now waiting on the plethora being in stock
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited April 2020
    daviesj said:
    Nelsonp that’s exactly what I am thinking of doing, ordered an iridium today now waiting on the plethora being in stock
    Nice. Let me know how you get on with it. 

Not sure how the MIDI would work.  Maybe you can set up the plethora in a preset mode, or maybe you'd need an external switcher? 

Something like this?

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    Andertons just released a video today using this pedal as the amp in a box....Stereo too, all analogue.

Looks like a good alternative? 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/preamp-pedals/dsm-and-humboldt-simplifier-amp-preamp-and-cab-sim-analogue-stereo-pedal
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271
    edited April 2020
    This model is specifically for acoustic, but heres hoping NUX release an amp version for electric guitar (a step up from their Solid Studio) - as NUX price points always seem pretty friendly...

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16255
    Plethora through the Iridium:

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.