Lockdown levity - show us your SPARE pedals

What's Hot
KeefyKeefy Frets: 2328
Just for fun, post a group photo of all the pedals you own that are currently 'spare' i.e. not in regular use either on a pedalboard or plumbed into a home practice/studio setup. Give their names, and if you like, say a few words about each one (not compulsory!)

Here's what lives in my spare pedal drawer:

By row, left to right:

1.1 Cornell First Fuzz. Germanium Fuzz Face with NKT275 transistors. I once did a pub gig with just this pedal, permanently on, between Les Paul and amp, and 'drove' it from the guitar's volume controls. It worked very well indeed.

1.2 Orange Squeezer clone that I built around a PCB off eBay. The size and position of the Level knob makes it easy to adjust with a toe if necessary. The Bias control is normally a trim pot but it's handy to have it easily accessible, although if you turn it up too much it completely cuts off your signal. Sounds great with a Strat (think Sultans of Swing).

1.3 Danelecto Cool Cat Tremolo. Optical trem that spent years on my gigging board until I got a Subdecay Vagabond.

1.4 Disorder Drive: Fuzzdog OCD clone. I bought this kit whilst searching for the perfect drive, then a week later Origin brought out the RD Compact. Consequently it hasn't had much use! And yes, that is the same paint colour as for the other home build.

1.5 Boss DM-3 analog delay. This spent several years on my board, set up for slap-back. I also used it with a longer delay for Shadows 'tripping repeat' sounds. Eventually 'board real-estate pressure caused me to rationalise to one delay pedal.

2.1 Zoom MS-50G MultiStomp. Bought as a source of outboard amp sims and occasional-use effects (e.g. octave) for recording. The Revival Drive and Two Notes Torpedo CAB in my studio rig now do the former job.

2.2 Maxon AD999 Analog Delay. Lovely sounding delay that spent a lot of time on my C&W board. Its one drawback for live use is the strange taper of the Delay Time control, which means that the range of useful settings is crammed into 1/4 of its rotation.

2.3 Frontline Delay. Budget 80s analog delay pedal not a million miles form the Boss DM-2.

2.4 Boss DM-2w Waza Delay. Like the DM-2/3 but with 2 extra BBD chips for the Custom (800ms) mode and an improved buffer.

2.5 Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay. So cheap it's almost free! DM-2 knock-off, voiced somewhat dark. Ideal to chuck in a gig bag for jams.

3.1 Crowther Hot Cake. When I was Keefy in a Stones tribute, I had just this pedal and a tuner on the floor.

3.2 The GigRig Loopy-2. True bypass switcher. My main board is a Pedaltrain 1, and the first setup I built on it had 2 of these to switch some of the pedals that had less-than-stellar buffers (see 3.3).

3.3 Ibanez SD-9 Sonic Distortion. Similar to a DS-1 i.e. pointless trying to use it with the Tone control past 9 o'clock. When bypassed, distortion sound leaks through the switching FETs. I got this in the early 90s for the £4 cash I had in my pocket as it was pretty bashed up and the shop staff couldn't get it to work. A Les Paul through this pedal is a raging beast of fury!

3.4 Home built true-bypass switcher. Without doubt my most boring pedal, never even got round to painting it.

3.5 Mosky Spring Reverb. Budget knock-off of the Malekko Chicklet. There are a whole load of these pedals (e.g. J. Rockett Boing) that use the same concept as in the Belton Brick, i.e. cascading short delays from three PT2399 digital delay chips. None of them sound exactly like a spring reverb, but this one does a good job just the same.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Some of these sound like a lot of fun. That frontline pedal, does it eat batteries, did they have a power supply option ?

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5191
    All my spare pedals end up in Classifieds  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2328
    Some of these sound like a lot of fun. That frontline pedal, does it eat batteries, did they have a power supply option ?
    No it’s fine on a battery, although the ‘hinge’ on the battery compartment door is a strip of gaffer tape! It has a standard Boss-type 9V DC socket but it’s not a brilliant fit to the enclosure so you have to be careful that the power plug doesn’t short out against it.
    tone1 said:
    It’s not like I keep them all, I must have sold at least 40 pedals over the years!
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 364
    tone1 said:
    Ditto, and that was only three to start off with. I try to keep a tight ship.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8792
    Cry Baby, TS-9 and TU-2 tuner. You know what they look like. The tuner lives in the workshop for tuning up any instrument I’m working on. The other two live in the music room, and get pulled out whenever I want to compare an AxeFX II model with the real thing, which isn’t very often.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    I ought to make clear that none of my pedals are currently for sale!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7860

I haven't got the energy (laziness, rather than Covid) to find them all and take a photo, but in various places around the house I have:

EHX Pocket Metal Muff
    EHX 8 Step Program
    Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator
    L6 DM4
    L6 Otto Filter
    L6 Liqua Flange
    Boss Slicer
    Danelectro Transparent OD V2
    Vox Chorus

(Self-built)

Noise Swash
    Parallel Universe
    Noise Ensemble
    Hyperion 2
    Clari(not)
    Raygun Youth
    HLA
    HLA2
    Big Brother
    Electric Brown
    OK
    Finish Line
    Into The Unknown

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1813
    edited April 2020
    Only pedals I have that are not in use are a FuzzFace clone that I built with help from Juansolo a few years ago and a Boss BF-2. The fuzz was replaced by an Analogman modded proper FuzzFace so is now extraneous and the BF-2 lives at my local pub where I regularly do a jam night
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 672

Here are my current “spare” pedals that haven’t made the board. Some are still in contention, but I think I’ll be having a clear out as I’ve got my eye on a few things 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Here are my current “spare” pedals that haven’t made the board. Some are still in contention, but I think I’ll be having a clear out as I’ve got my eye on a few things 
    Wow! What's the orange pedal? The knobs and switches would be right for a Wampler Paisley Drive clone.
    Keefy said:

Wow! What's the orange pedal? The knobs and switches would be right for a Wampler Paisley Drive clone.
    It's actually a Liquid Sunshine Mk2 clone, built by @handsomerik of this forum. The added toggles are for different clipping options and added bass/bottom end. It's glorious into my Bad Cat!
  • Eyeing up @smudge_lad's spare Guv'nor! ;-)

Here's mine...

None are particularly spare as they're all being lined up for different projects...yes, I'm turning into one of those bellends you see with multiple utility boards.

Covers style board:
    • Stone Deaf PDF-1X
    • Catalinbread SFT
    • RYRA Klone 
    • ZVEX Fuzz Factory will go on the same board for some Muse things.
    Will be used for some QOTSA style project stuff. That said, the PDF-1X is so versatile and really should take pride and place on the main board, I love that pedal.

Gilmour board:
    • EHX Green Russian
    • EHX Ram's Head
    • Boss BD-2W  Blues Driver
    • Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer
    • Retro-Sonic Flanger
    I'm undecided whether I want a Gilmour style board or not as my main board covers a lot of that ground...these may be surplus to requirements after all. But they'll be hard to tear out of my hands.

Keepers:
    • Fuzzrocious 420 Fuzz - without doubt, my favourite fuzz pedal and belongs on my main board, I just don't use it enough for the things I'm using that board for.
    • Mr. Black Gilamondo - An eight stage phaser, which sounds like you're like treading through treacle. It sounds like no other phaser I've heard. My favourite phaser and is going on my main board.
    Spare:
    • Fortin Zuul - I'm not noticing serious amounts of noise when I use high gain, but am keeping this for such times as they're expensive and difficult to import without a cost.
    • EP Booster - Am yet to use it for anything useful yet but it's chrome and not going anywhere!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Eyeing up @smudge_lad's spare Guv'nor! ;-)

Here's mine...

None are particularly spare as they're all being lined up for different projects...yes, I'm turning into one of those bellends you see with multiple utility boards.

Covers style board:
    • Stone Deaf PDF-1X
    • Catalinbread SFT
    • RYRA Klone 
    • ZVEX Fuzz Factory will go on the same board for some Muse things.
    Will be used for some QOTSA style project stuff. That said, the PDF-1X is so versatile and really should take pride and place on the main board, I love that pedal.

Gilmour board:
    • EHX Green Russian
    • EHX Ram's Head
    • Boss BD-2W  Blues Driver
    • Boss CS-2 Compression Sustainer
    • Retro-Sonic Flanger
    I'm undecided whether I want a Gilmour style board or not as my main board covers a lot of that ground...these may be surplus to requirements after all. But they'll be hard to tear out of my hands.

Keepers:
    • Fuzzrocious 420 Fuzz - without doubt, my favourite fuzz pedal and belongs on my main board, I just don't use it enough for the things I'm using that board for.
    • Mr. Black Gilamondo - An eight stage phaser, which sounds like you're like treading through treacle. It sounds like no other phaser I've heard. My favourite phaser and is going on my main board.
    Spare:
    • Fortin Zuul - I'm not noticing serious amounts of noise when I use high gain, but am keeping this for such times as they're expensive and difficult to import without a cost.
    • EP Booster - Am yet to use it for anything useful yet but it's chrome and not going anywhere!
    Nice selection! How much more blue could that CS-2 be? None more blue, that's how much!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Eyeing up @smudge_lad's spare Guv'nor! ;-)

I actually have 2.....a standard one, and a modded one. Both not in use. Will give you a shout if I'm punting them
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11970
    All the CBA ones.  =)
  • All the CBA ones.  =)
    Ooh, selling any of those?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11970
    All the CBA ones.  =)
    Narh, sorry.
  • All the CBA ones.  =)
    Narh, sorry.
    NO FAIR!!! 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6774
    Anyone got a spare Field Marshal and a spare Brothers?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom