NWD

New whistle day! My new Kerry Chieftain V5 low D whistle has arrived! I’ve also got DVD’s and books to learn from so this lockdown has just got a bit more exciting. (Yes I find whistles exciting!)
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    How’s the chiff?

Having played a variety of whistles in bands over the years I have to say they excite me too.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    How’s the chiff?

Having played a variety of whistles in bands over the years I have to say they excite me too.
    I don’t know yet, it may sound daft but I don’t have any sterile wipes so I’m going to leave it out for 48 hours before playing it just to be safe unless there are any tips for making it safe so I can play it sooner? I suffer with paranoia so don’t want to put the whistle to my mouth without taking some kind of precaution to ease my mind.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    Dip the mouthpiece in extremely hot chilli sauce. Nothing can grow on that.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    How’s the chiff?

@Bridgehouse As I’m new to low whistles I’m not sure if it’s standard or my technique is wrong but it sounds “breathy” I personally think it’s a bit of both as most reviews I’ve listened to are the same. There is a nice low chirp when blowing a bit harder before going into the second octave. It’s a very nice sounding whistle, I think I made a good choice.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    zepp76 said:
    How’s the chiff?

@Bridgehouse As I’m new to low whistles I’m not sure if it’s standard or my technique is wrong but it sounds “breathy” I personally think it’s a bit of both as most reviews I’ve listened to are the same. There is a nice low chirp when blowing a bit harder before going into the second octave. It’s a very nice sounding whistle, I think I made a good choice.
    Yes, breathy comes with the territory - you’ll never get enough air in it to stop it sounding like that. I actually quite like the breathiness. You’ll find something like a low G would be a bit of a middle ground if you want the lower sound but less breath
    zepp76 said:
    How’s the chiff?

Yes, breathy comes with the territory - you’ll never get enough air in it to stop it sounding like that. I actually quite like the breathiness. You’ll find something like a low G would be a bit of a middle ground if you want the lower sound but less breath
    Yes don’t get me wrong I actually rather like the breathiness, it adds to the mood of airs. I’m glad I’ve got large hands as the span of the holes would be challenging otherwise!