How to play the Blues - well

What's Hot

Comments

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited September 2023
    l
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    It's also what separates Mayer from everyone else - Continuum and Try are simply jam packed with TUNES. You can play 4 notes of Slow Dancing.. or Vultures and everyone on the planet knows what song it is. That's hugely powerful.

Spot on ... I've never really listened to Mayer until very recently and he's really grown on me ... lovely phrasing and great tunes (a little middle of the road, but I'm nearly 50 now  :)) and super catchy 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    Another tip....I really feel like the custodians of great electric blues guitar playing these days are the players who get identified as “West Coast”. Jump blues is a big part of their repertoire but when they play more Chicago or even Texas inspired stuff they just seem to do it better than people who haven’t put the time and effort into learning the more sophisticated west coast stuff. Junior Watson, Kid Andersen and Tommy Harkenrider spring to mind. I think it’s because they’ve just thought about it all on more musical level, have better ears and have an outlook that leads them to find melody rather than licks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    Lewy said:
    Another tip....I really feel like the custodians of great electric blues guitar playing these days are the players who get identified as “West Coast”. Jump blues is a big part of their repertoire but when they play more Chicago or even Texas inspired stuff they just seem to do it better than people who haven’t put the time and effort into learning the more sophisticated west coast stuff. Junior Watson, Kid Andersen and Tommy Harkenrider spring to mind. I think it’s because they’ve just thought about it all on more musical level, have better ears and have an outlook that leads them to find melody rather than licks.
    Superb, three musicians I had not yet discovered - thank you.

Also, in case it's of use to anyone, there's a string bending lesson the Justin guitar site- I'd skipped over it as thought it was 'too basic' - but his explanation of technique has corrected 30 years worth of dodgy string bending in a matter of minutes. Worth a look. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    roberty said:
    I've got a couple of really good books, I've just been teaching from one of them! Have dropped you an email  =) It's really good stuff, worked through and explained well. 
    I'd be interested in that if it's no bother mate
    No worries, I’ll send them on either this evening/tomorrow morning  =)
    Can I be cheeky and ask for a copy also? 
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    icu81b4 said:
    roberty said:
    I've got a couple of really good books, I've just been teaching from one of them! Have dropped you an email  =) It's really good stuff, worked through and explained well. 
    yep, will pm  =)
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    I have the Wyatt Blues Guitar Basics, is Soloing an updated version, or the next step? If anyone wants to do a swap drop me a pm...
  • RflemingRfleming Frets: 0
    Wow! Like many I have been playing standard blues at the "usual" places on the fret board for years. I have learnt more looking at this thread and the videos..(inc some from Kid Andersen) than I ever thought I would about silence and feel. Well done for bringing this up..its helped me..
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    icu81b4 said:
    roberty said:
    yep, will pm  =)
    Er, and me? Found my way to this thread while wrestling some Peter Green stuff and I realise I’m just paddling in shallows...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Worth signing up for a free trial on jamplay.com there's a good blues course by Stuart Ziff, he goes over vocabulary from specific players. An easy way to pick up some cool tricks
  • Keith Wyat''s Acoustic Blues book is excellent, it starts with basics but keeps building and building. The lead one also superb, has taught me a lot. Still got a lot left in it to work through. 

The thing I used to struggle with was the use of major thirds, I was far more comfortable sticking with the minor thirds, anything major sounding just confused me or sounded too cheesy. Much more confident in them now in a non cheesy and blusey sounding manor. I’ve definitely improved since starting this thread and following the excellent advice given.

I’m currently being bombarded by youtube adverts for Steve Stein’s blues lesson. His keen-ness is putting me right  off him! 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited June 2020

I’m currently being bombarded by youtube adverts for Steve Stein’s blues lesson. His keen-ness is putting me right  off him! 

He is unnervingly cheerful isn't he. Totally at odds with his wizened rocker image. I'm sure he's very nice in real life

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoans said:
    icu81b4 said:
    roberty said:
    yep, will pm  =)
    Er, and me? Found my way to this thread while wrestling some Peter Green stuff and I realise I’m just paddling in shallows...
    @Vibetronic can I sheepishly add myself to the list of recovering bad blues players and request a pointer/copy? Thanks!
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
    JerkMoans said:
    icu81b4 said:
    roberty said:
    yep, will pm  =)
    @Vibetronic can I sheepishly add myself to the list of recovering bad blues players and request a pointer/copy? Thanks!
    pm'd :)
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    JerkMoans said:
    icu81b4 said:
    roberty said:
    yep, will pm  =)
    @Vibetronic - could I also be cheeky and ask for the same please?
    Thanks 
  • Ditto, please, if you haven't run out of patience yet. :)
    Vinylfan said:
    JerkMoans said:
    icu81b4 said:
    roberty said:
    yep, will pm  =)
    Thanks 

Ditto, please, if you haven't run out of patience yet. :)
    done :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Vinylfan said:
    JerkMoans said:
    icu81b4 said:
    roberty said:
    yep, will pm  =)
    Thanks 

Ditto, please, if you haven't run out of patience yet. :)
    Hate to jump on the bandwagon especially after you more than sorted me out with Thin Lizzy but could you do me too, if it ain’t askin too much . Thanks
  • You can download sound files for the lead book using the code at the front, the exercises are good especially the ones where you try to mimic lead phrases.
    PhilW1 said:

Hate to jump on the bandwagon especially after you more than sorted me out with Thin Lizzy but could you do me too, if it ain’t askin too much . Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom