I like yours more than theirs     The tailpiece is nice though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7015
    tFB Trader
    It looks very well made, just a shame it's branded IMHO
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16661
    It looks very well made, just a shame it's branded IMHO
    its subtle and fairly hidden, no different to the tuners having "GROVER" stamped on them really.   I'm okay with it

PhilKing said:
    I like yours more than theirs     The tailpiece is nice though
    me too.  I always thought Duesenberg's where just a bit too gimmicky looking, but i have been impressed by the quality of the hardware.  The Bigsby types are incredibly smooth, but sadly not as iconic looking as the original
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    looks great - enough detail on the block to be interesting without being "bling".      

great violin making video too - loved seeing the top jointing using the shooting board and rubbed joint. 
    I really must sharpen my tools......
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    That video is great. Such a lovely watch and I now have major skill and tool envy. 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited June 2020
    Your superb build reminds me of a Benedetto Benny Special.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Guitar looks great Wez. Very jealous of your skills. 
    bursting

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edge scraped whilst the paint is still fresh

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    That's looking very nice Wez.
    couldnt resist a mockup

below the "binding" will all be tinted with tobacco brown, thne its onto clear
    0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493

I really want to play that guitar! Fine work Wez.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    That's looking really great Wez.  Very vintage looking in a great way.  I hope you still have it when I can next come to England without a two week quarantine. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    To my eyes, the burst colours really fit with the traditional style of the instrument (f-holes, tailpiece, etc).  Looks real quality.

In the last pic, the pick guard colours seemed to clash slightly with the burst colour?  Although that could just be the way the lighting is hitting the different materials!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    To my eyes, the burst colours really fit with the traditional style of the instrument (f-holes, tailpiece, etc).  Looks real quality.

In the last pic, the pick guard colours seemed to clash slightly with the burst colour?  Although that could just be the way the lighting is hitting the different materials!
    I was worried about the colour of the guard, one reason for the mock-up.

It looks a lot better than i expected, but part of me is wondering about painting the back of it black to darken it up a bit.   I think this milk protein plastic can probably be stained too, so I have some options for tweaking it.

But I'm loving the way it all looks as it is anyway
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27437
    WezV said:
    But I'm loving the way it all looks as it is anyway
    So you should be!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited June 2020
    I am open to feedback on the plate.   Now i have a template it takes minutes to knock up ideas

Current thoughts on this are i definitely want to take cues from early archtops.   Which means it should be black, tort or pearloid.   We can rule out pearl i think.   I also want to keep the aesthetic clean and simple, so no binding on the guard.   A lot do have contrasting guards, but i want to avoid the corn beef bright red tort look that's common to a few

Part of me wants to cast my own, but i might leave those experiments for another day

i can also paint the back to make it darker , or foil the back to make it pop
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    I wonder how a 3 ply black guard would look? Aesthetically it would align with the binding and headstock scheme. Quality build as ever, btw.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    MattNovak said:
    I wonder how a 3 ply black guard would look? Aesthetically it would align with the binding and headstock scheme. Quality build as ever, btw.

I think i have some 3 and 5 ply black, but want to avoid standard plastics... i want a bit of texture to it. 

there is no actual binding anywhere else, other than the bare sycamore edge, so the challenge is to maintain that level of simplicity

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4131
    WezV said:
    MattNovak said:

I think i have some 3 and 5 ply black, but want to avoid standard plastics... i want a bit of texture to it. 

there is no actual binding anywhere else, other than the bare sycamore edge, so the challenge is to maintain that level of simplicity

With that in mind, how about ebony/rosewood to match the bridge? It'll keep the wood theme going and minimise plastics throughout - maybe use the same for the knobs too?