Oil City Pickups: in the new Mobius Cetra Thinline

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10357
in Made in the UK tFB Trader

It's been a while since I've posted anything much on here ... and no that's not because I've succumbed to the dreaded lurgy, or because I've been locked down tighter than gnat's reproductive parts ... it's because I've been busy! The world and his missus want pickups at the moment, and so I have been buried away in the Oil City workshops slaving like a slaving thing! Being classed as 'having underlying health conditions' has meant that I've had to be the only one in ... and it's a bit lonely here lol ... but things are still progressing. I get up in the morning, cycle ten minutes to 'Castle Oily' and my dungeon workshop ... see nobody all day, (except perhaps the DPD driver throwing a parcel at me from ten feet away). Then I cycle home eat ... sleep, rinse and repeat six days a week. If I thought I had no life before Corona Virus ... little did I know!

Anyway I thought I'd give you all some eye candy of Mobius Guitars in California's latest offering ... the Cetra Thinline
'It's a Tele Jim ... but not as we know it!' Using of course Oil City Pickups. That's a Liquidator set fitted ... complete with the huge 1/4 inch poles neck and bridge.

Being a bit of a 'Tele person' myself I find myself falling down on the side of liking this quite a lot. Lots of traditional touches like the bridge and the fact it has ,,, gasp ... single coils!
Lol if I get Kris to build one for me It'll have to have position markers mind ... I'm soooo crap without them!
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    Woah - that's quite a build! What's with the twin output jacks? Seems like you could only use one at a time with them positioned like that anyway?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10357
    tFB Trader
    Woah - that's quite a build! What's with the twin output jacks? Seems like you could only use one at a time with them positioned like that anyway?

They are I believe only meant to be used one at a time :-)

here is a quote from the Mobius site

This unique design features two redundant output jacks that gives you the flexibility to use either a right angle plug or a straight plug, while playing seated or standing. Unlike other traditional designs that leave you with an awkward plug sticking straight out, or an awkward angled plug that doesn’t quite work (think classic Strat output jack), Mobius guitars can use either style without being obtrusive. Plus, there’s the added benefit of having a built in emergency backup in the event one jack should fail during a show!

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    They must be threaded into the wood with no nut behind, G&L style?
    tFB Trader
    They must be threaded into the wood with no nut behind, G&L style?

I believe so Steve. Not had a chance to get my paws on one in person yet ... due to the fact they are made by Kris in California. They seem to be selling very nicely however ... which is great as the pickup supplier :-)

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    I love that guitar: recessed jack sockets, double strap buttons so that it stands up OK, string block rather than ferrules, sensible control layout, modified body outline, and nice choice of woods. Anyone who puts that much thought into a guitar design is going to think hard about pickup choices. So congratulations Ash on getting that supply contract.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    I love that guitar: recessed jack sockets, double strap buttons so that it stands up OK, string block rather than ferrules, sensible control layout, modified body outline, and nice choice of woods. Anyone who puts that much thought into a guitar design is going to think hard about pickup choices. So congratulations Ash on getting that supply contract.

I think Kris will be rather chuffed to hear comments like this ... he's super passionate about his products.
    For OCP to be able to sell well in the USA, the home of the humbucker and indeed replacement/aftermarket pickup brand leaders has always been a dream of mine, and we are shipping more and more stateside, both to private customers and builders like Kris.

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    OilCityPickups said:
    I think Kris will be rather chuffed to hear comments like this ... he's super passionate about his products.
    For OCP to be able to sell well in the USA, the home of the humbucker and indeed replacement/aftermarket pickup brand leaders has always been a dream of mine, and we are shipping more and more stateside, both to private customers and builders like Kris.
    Alright Ash, I really like the look of his Tele. Do you know what kind of finish he went for?

IMO, the lockdown's tough for most of us but for those with 'underlying health conditions' (as my father does) it seems to be even worse so I wish you good luck with dealing with the isolation.

Sorry to ask about pickups (again) but what are the differences between 1/4" slugs and regular sized slugs? I had a GFS Tele neck pickup with 1/4" slugs many a moon ago which I can't remember much about aside from it was pretty good.