New Bass Week

What's Hot
andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
edited April 2020 in Bass
So I had an idle thought to have a go at bass while I'm sat at home 'working' via Skype.

I dug an old bass out of the attic and was quite happy noodling along on that.

Until I thought it would be great to have a slightly better bass to learn on, that it might spur me on.

So this week I started my bass GAS journey in earnest.

TC Electronic BG250 112 amp
Music Man Bongo HH 
Sire V7 Swamp Ash/Maple

I'm quite pleased. 
Especially with the Sire, its VERY well built and to it's credit compares favourably with the Bongo for build quality.

The question is black or white pearl?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    That Sire looks brilliant, I’ve never played one but they always get glowing reviews. Is that a one or two piece body? Very handsome instrument either way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    JezWynd said:
    That Sire looks brilliant, I’ve never played one but they always get glowing reviews. Is that a one or two piece body? Very handsome instrument either way.
    Incredibly it's a one piece, and a one piece neck too.

It does have a bit of weight to it but the inlays are flush with the board, binding is superb and the rolled edges are really well done.
    Curves in all the right places too, it's very comfy either strapped on or played seated. The preamp has loads of scope for variation but I really like the tone of it passive.
    Even the bridge and tuners, which are quoted as weak points, feel solid.

I didn't know what to expect from it, but I'd read the reviews and seen the YouTube vids and for the price it was definitely worth a punt.

Andertons had them in their sale and I had some points to spend so I'm more than happy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking good, Mr H!
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    Looking good, Mr H!
    Ha ha cheers matey!!

This Sire would be right up your street, I'm certain if you were still after a cheap one for recording.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Wow, you dont waste time haha.

Next, get a phaser and an octaver for a your soon to be bass board.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    andy1839 said:
    JezWynd said:
    Incredibly it's a one piece, and a one piece neck too.
    They're incredible value, what a great score. I’d be tempted myself but just splurged on an ‘84 Squier Bullet P bass.
    Wow, you dont waste time haha.

Next, get a phaser and an octaver for a your soon to be bass board.

:# 

Funny you should say that...

I bought a Zoom MS-60B a couple of weeks ago, and my amp has the dual tone print thing so fx wise I'm off to a good start!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24202
    Nicely done!
    The Miller basses really are great value. They are too heavy for me, but for the non-injured & younger people, just can't go wrong!
    Nicely done!
    The Miller basses really are great value. They are too heavy for me, but for the non-injured & younger people, just can't go wrong!
    Aye, they are a fair weight to be fair.
    I've dug out a wide padded strap for that one.
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Strangely, I've got a Sire V7 arriving from Andertons tomorrow, so I'm really glad to hear you're impressed with yours.
    I'm not really a bass player, but I do love great bass on a track.  Some of my favourite musicians are bass players.
    I needed a bass for recording purposes and although I do have a fretless, it's only works on some stuff.  Did a shit load of reading, research and listening to demo's on line before deciding.  Narrowed it down to either V7 or the Vintage V7,  but I preferred the sound on the V7 from the demo's I'd heard.
    Can't wait now.  Thanks for posting yours man
    Wonky said:
    Strangely, I've got a Sire V7 arriving from Andertons tomorrow, so I'm really glad to hear you're impressed with yours.
    I'm not really a bass player, but I do love great bass on a track.  Some of my favourite musicians are bass players.
    I needed a bass for recording purposes and although I do have a fretless, it's only works on some stuff.  Did a shit load of reading, research and listening to demo's on line before deciding.  Narrowed it down to either V7 or the Vintage V7,  but I preferred the sound on the V7 from the demo's I'd heard.
    Can't wait now.  Thanks for posting yours man
    No worries! 
    Thanks!
    I'm not a bass player either, but couldn't overlook one, it seems to be the new entry level standard for beginner basses, well not even beginner, I saw Marcus Miller use one on the Thomann clinic and that really sold it for me.

Which version did you get?

I'm really thinking about getting an alder/ebony one in a solid colour with matching headstock.
    Bass GAS is strong today.

I did get the matching gig bag and it's a decent one, seems hard wearing and has a bit of padding.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    andy1839 said:

Especially with the Sire, its VERY well built and to it's credit compares favourably with the Bongo for build quality.

What on earth do all those knobs do?!

andy1839 said:

Black. It goes with the rest of the hardware much better and makes the white look cheap by comparison.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I ordered this one
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-marcus-miller-v7-alder-4-string-black
    Ordered the gig bag too.
    The whole thing seems like an absolute bargain tbh and despite having a very decent guitar collection this is actually my very first bass purchase, as the fretless I've got was given to me.
    I've got high hopes for the Sire
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    andy1839 said:

What on earth do all those knobs do?!

andy1839 said:

Black. It goes with the rest of the hardware much better and makes the white look cheap by comparison.

Ooooh, controversial!
    Everyone else has said white, although I do like the black as well. 

Voting is still live so, we'll see where it goes!

The knobs?
    No idea!

Ha ha!!
    Bloody basses, years of only having volume and tone to contend with has left me completely unprepared for the frankly silly amount of tone shaping available on a bass considering they only make one noise.
     ;) 

So from closest to the neck the knobs are:
    1. (Stacked) Middle - Overall Volume, Outer - overall tone
    2. Bridge/Neck pickup blend
    3. Treble
    4. (Stacked) Middle - Middle Boost/Cut, Outer - Mid Frequency
    5. Active/Passive mini toggle
    6. Bass 
    Wonky said:
    I ordered this one
    https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-marcus-miller-v7-alder-4-string-black
    Ordered the gig bag too.
    The whole thing seems like an absolute bargain tbh and despite having a very decent guitar collection this is actually my very first bass purchase, as the fretless I've got was given to me.
    I've got high hopes for the Sire
    Lovely mate, really classy look on that one.
    I definitely think you'll be happy with it.

Looking forward to your NBD!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    Both amazing basses, Just a question , why did you buy two basses to start with ? 
    As a bassist of 10 years I have had 2 basses, and dont know of many other bassists which own more than one , please dont think im sniping at all im not ,:) 
    Just curious as to why you went for two, 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Both amazing basses, Just a question , why did you buy two basses to start with ? 
    As a bassist of 10 years I have had 2 basses, and dont know of many other bassists which own more than one , please dont think im sniping at all im not ,:) 
    Just curious as to why you went for two, 
    You could ask the same question of most guitarists ;)

For a long time I‘ve had only one bass - a Rickenbacker 4001 - because I can do anything I want to do on a fretted bass with it. I like some other basses, but the Rick fits me perfectly and I just don’t need anything else.

I did temporarily borrow a Fender Mustang Bass and bought a 5-string after I broke my arm and couldn’t reach the far end of the Rick properly for a few months, but now the Mustang has gone back to its owner and the 5 is up for sale.

But then I bought a fretless...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein