Oil City Pickups: the new Liquidator Strat pickup

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10225
in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Our 6mm pole piece Liquidator Tele neck and bridge pickups have been doing very well since we introduced them a few years ago. So for the spring ... here's the latest incarnation, the Liquidator Strat pickup. Alnico V 6mm poles. With the bridge unit wound to 14.5k and the neck and middle to 9k each ... these have tons of punch and presence. Not vintage Strat perhaps, but Strat on steroids with a penchant for arse kicking.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Look superb as ever Ash, fine work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17554
    tFB Trader
    Niiice
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10225
    tFB Trader
    Oh and these work super well in HSS sets or HSH.
    A Brass Knuckle bridge humbucker and a Liquidator middle and neck ...  Blackbird - Liquidator - Liquidator 
    ... or for utter insanity: a 22k triple magnet HAL bridge pickup and two bridge Liquidators doing middle and neck (we'd flip the polarity of one for RWRP). NOTE: the last idea is not something I would suggest for anyone of a nervous disposition.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I had a tele with the liquidator in the bridge...

if these are like that they will pack a huge punch!...

soundclips?
    tFB Trader
    poopot said:
    I had a tele with the liquidator in the bridge...

if these are like that they will pack a huge punch!...

soundclips?
    Getting in another Strat to equip with these, so when fitted sound clips will happen. 
    And the magnets and winding level are exactly the same between the Liquidator Tele and Strat bridge units so they will sound very similar indeed. Likewise the Neck and middle are wound like the Liquidator Tele neck pickup. Obviously the different characteristics of the instruments: pickup positioning, bridge styles will give each type it's own Strat or Tele flavour. 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14404
    ... here's the latest incarnation, the Liquidator Strat pickup.
    Could these be re-engineered slightly to have the rod magnets protruding above the flatwork sufficiently to fit a plastic cover à la Ibanez Super 6 and Blazer pickups? Maybe, even, different magnet lengths to suit a 9.5 or 12” radius? (For an upcharge, naturally.)

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    ... here's the latest incarnation, the Liquidator Strat pickup.
    Could these be re-engineered slightly to have the rod magnets protruding above the flatwork sufficiently to fit a plastic cover à la Ibanez Super 6 and Blazer pickups? Maybe, even, different magnet lengths to suit a 9.5 or 12” radius? (For an upcharge, naturally.)

The bobbin top itself is the size of the top of a cover, and all the winding space is utilised ... so covers are not possible while keeping the tone and output. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Strat Pickups also cannot have covers fitted. 
    The reason for non staggered poles is that after exhaustive tests, the slight treble and bass boost given by the flat configuration compliments the huge midrange push given by over winding and the larger magnet mass of the poles.

I realise the appearance of coverless Strat pickups may not appeal to purists :-) but then I do a lot of other traditional Strat pickups that happily sit under covers. As with the origins many of my pickups I was approached by a guitarist with a gigging band and an album to work on, with a view to creating a new Strat tone. He already used the Liquidator Tele pickup ... as well as my Scrapyard Dog Plus humbuckers (in fact all his guitars are kitted out with Oil City Pickups). He asked if it was possible to produce that Liquidator sound on a Strat ... so I went away and designed ...  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Sounds awesome 
    Don't touch that dial.