How I Put a Marshall MS-2 Into a Guitar (pic heavy)

What's Hot

Comments

• An unfortunate necessary evil here. I didn't leave enough meat to get the screw far enough over when i did the route, and when pulling the speaker jack out it was lifting the cover up so had to put a screw in anyway. In hindsight I possibly could have moved the screw over another 1mmto get it all on the cover. But I should have left more wood to take the screw to begin with 

Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Control cover sitting proud

Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • Channel routed for the PCB. 

• Much better! 

• Then just for the fun of it, an old mahogany staircase i got off my mate, who replaced it on a job.
    Couldn't let it go in the skip! Should get 6 builds out of this lot

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    edited April 2020
    Ideal for playing Stairway on D 
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited April 2020
    I'm liking your posts, in no way conventional, or perfect, proper hand made, just what I like. 
  • I'm liking your posts, in no way conventional, or perfect, proper hand made, just what I like. 
    Thanks. (I think lol). I am quite unconventional, I'm not afraid to do things my way, be it right or wrong I figure the end result is what counts.
    Received my official blessing email from Marshall today, which was a relief. As long as I don't use their name for my own commercial gain or to imply any form of affiliation, then I'm fine doing what I'm doing (which for the record was never my intention, it's just to satisfy my curiosity)
  • MattNovak said:
    Ideal for playing Stairway on D 
    I think you've stolen all my thunder with this  =)
  • Quick update!
    My forstner bit finally arrived so the holes for the neck ferrules are now drilled and that means the body is nearly ready for the fun part! Just the necessary evil to go through (sanding, blurgh) then we get to see what it's going to look like in it's new suit!
  • Ferrules sitting in nicely, looks like I sanded a little too much off the point though
  • Looks good from this angle. Shame I've decided to paint it, quite like that knot

• Sitting pretty

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Just read this all the way through.  Great fun :)  
    Looking forward to seeing the progress and finished article.  Doing a video of the finished job?
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Just had a look at your Facebook page and web site.  Some very nice work.  The walnut Tao is gorgeous.

• Just had a look at your Facebook page and web site.  Some very nice work.  The walnut Tao is gorgeous.

Thank you for the kind words! 
    I sure will, I always do some sort of photoshoot/video (usually with better players than me) to demonstrate them fully.
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    I love the madness of this, looking great so far.
    If you're painting the body you'd get away with glueing a piece on where you over sanded at the heel, is that a plan? 
  • Sarge said:
    I love the madness of this, looking great so far.
    If you're painting the body you'd get away with glueing a piece on where you over sanded at the heel, is that a plan? 
    It is a good, and correct plan, but I've not done it as I haven't filled the grain because I wanted it to show through the paint. I'm not too fussed as it's my personal guitar anyway, I'm not allowed to sell it (Marshall's condition of not suing me lol), not that I would anyway. 
  • Been a busy week building an outside bar for friends (observing social distancing of course) so there's been no time to post an update. 
    But I'm here now with a description and some photos of the painted body.
    Everything to get painted was sanded to 240 grit and was sprayed straight on to the wood without primer, as i said previous, I wanted to keep the grain showing through. White base coat to start with, then I decided to accent the scoops round the body with black. Next time I need to make that decision before paint, to save paper and tape and the time masking the whole body lol. Lesson learnt.
    I cut my logo into a template to spray on the headstock too.
    Then it was on to the pearl lacquer. It's a high solid 10% sheen from Morrells, with pearl powder from Perfect Pearls and Pigments added in. 
    That's where I'm up to now, pickups arrived on friday along with my proposed feedback prevention method, so I'll be starting assembly very soon. I do need to stop putting off the fret level and get on with that though haha

• After the white base