100 Pushup Challenge Anyone?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
in Off Topic tFB Trader
I've been doing a bit more general fitness rather than running lately and it make me think I might like to have another bash at doing the 100 pushup challenge. 

I've tried it before and gave up at 20 consecutive so hopefully I'll do better this time. 

Despite being relatively fit I'm shit at pushups and though I can easily run a half marathon 5 pushups and I'm done. 

Two weeks in and I can do 13.

Anyone else want to join me?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’m up for that. Only cos I did a few the other day to remind myself of how few I could get to....I got to 15....so that’ll be my starting point. Is the goal to do 100 without stopping? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7114
    I've been doing a bit more general fitness rather than running lately and it make me think I might like to have another bash at doing the 100 pushup challenge. 

I've tried it before and gave up at 20 consecutive so hopefully I'll do better this time. 

Despite being relatively fit I'm shit at pushups and though I can easily run a half marathon 5 pushups and I'm done. 

Give me a week and I'll give it a go.  I had every intention of devising some sort of prison cell workout at the start of this crisis but I've been unwell for months and have just been put on loads of heart meds (as a precaution while they work out what it really is I hope). 

I'm due to have a review of things this week and if I'm given the go ahead to exercise again I want to drop the stone and a half I've put on since January when I started to feel crap !
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    If it's 100 per year, count me in.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Whats the format / progression. I can do 40 perhaps 50 non stop at the moment.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I’m up for that. Only cos I did a few the other day to remind myself of how few I could get to....I got to 15....so that’ll be my starting point. Is the goal to do 100 without stopping? 

There are a few different versions. 

Some people say doing 100 in a day, some 100 in a session, but I think the classic challenge is to be able to do 100 in a row. 

tFB Trader
    I'm planning to track how many I can do:

Continuous 
    per session
    per day

and try and achieve improvements up to 25, 50, 75, 100 in each 

I'll post updates in the thread.

Currently 

Per day: 25
    Continuous: 13
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2392
    I started at 8 in a row once a day, now increased to 2 x 22 per day. Weird how it suddenly gets easier!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I'm really out of shape. Only managed 20 in 25 seconds then had to stop for a bit :).

When I was 16 I could do 200 in three minutes without stopping. Seriously.

To be fair, I only weigh nine and a half stone so I have a lot less weight to lift than some people!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12340
    Im doing 50 a day at the moment since Octatonic's challenge in September 25, 30 second break then another 25.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    I can do 3 proper ones in a row. Thats it. 

Lol. 

I might do cheat ones for a couple weeks then see if thats helped me do proper ones.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    ICBM said:
    I'm really out of shape. Only managed 20 in 25 seconds then had to stop for a bit :).

When I was 16 I could do 200 in three minutes without stopping. Seriously.

To be fair, I only weigh nine and a half stone so I have a lot less weight to lift than some people!
    Wish I was!! I'm almost 16 stone but hardly look it. Or so everyone says. 

Admittedly my balls weigh 4 stone.
    each.. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited April 2020

If you want to improve try doing them in 3 sets rather than in one go. 30 seconds rest between sets.

If you can do 13, try doing 2 sets of 10 then 1 set to failure (when you can't do any more). Once you can do 3 equal sets then add on some more to each set.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    use your hands in different positions too, you'll hit different parts of your pecs like that

try diamond push ups for example
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tFB Trader
    skunkwerx said:
    I can do 3 proper ones in a row. Thats it. 

Lol. 

I might do cheat ones for a couple weeks then see if thats helped me do proper ones.

I was pretty much the same so I also added in knee pushups at first.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28331
    Last Oct I started a press up challenge here as I'm rubbish at them. I can do about 5! I'm pretty fit for my age but can't do the buggers. I set up a regime to improve by March, but I got a persistent injury problem with my abdomen in early Nov and had to stop. I'm still not 100% right all this time later, but maybe I'll try a few and see how it goes. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I'm in. :)
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Last Oct I started a press up challenge here as I'm rubbish at them. I can do about 5! I'm pretty fit for my age but can't do the buggers. I set up a regime to improve by March, but I got a persistent injury problem with my abdomen in early Nov and had to stop. I'm still not 100% right all this time later, but maybe I'll try a few and see how it goes. 
    I had to stop last time because it screwed my wrists up. 
    Hopefully won't have that issue this time.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    edited April 2020
    I would be careful in attempting 100 without stopping. Make sure you warm up by doing some stretches between a door frame. The last thing anyone needs is a trip to A&E with a torn pec muscle. Careful Now....

https://i.imgur.com/CXUhHlh.jpg
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 992
    My main concern is that by the time I can do 100 push-ups this thread will be long forgotten.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I did this last time but got some should pain at around 30 or so. I have been running a lot in lock down (about 25 runs I think) so kinda keen to add something.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ