100 Pushup Challenge Anyone?

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    Is there a good app or similar for progressing at a sensible pace..im wondering if i tried to go too high too quickly

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Is there a good app or similar for progressing at a sensible pace..im wondering if i tried to go too high too quickly

https://hundredpushups.com/index.html

Lots of people do that one. 

I'm more exercising every day so I'll probably use it more as an inspiration. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    edited April 2020
    I mean if you can do 100 in one go, why bother doing that amount? Is it for stamina only?

Wouldnt it be better to do 3 sets of say 8-12 odd but add weights so you fail at around that range?
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    tFB Trader
    skunkwerx said:
    I mean if you can do 100 in one go, why bother doing that amount? Is it for stamina only?

Wouldnt it be better to do 3 sets of say 8-12 odd but add weights so you fail at around that range?

It's a valid point. 

I suppose the same is true of running a marathon. 

For a general fitness routine people usually say go to more advanced forms once you can easily do 30, but I think doing 100 pushups is just a thing it's nice to say you have done.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    skunkwerx said:

It's a valid point. 

I suppose the same is true of running a marathon. 

For a general fitness routine people usually say go to more advanced forms once you can easily do 30, but I think doing 100 pushups is just a thing it's nice to say you have done.
    Hehe Im just thinking of the time 100 would take! Then again takes me ages to do anything... 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    tFB Trader
    skunkwerx said:
    Hehe Im just thinking of the time 100 would take! Then again takes me ages to do anything... 

My usual exercise is a 12k which takes an hour so it's quick compared to that. 

Given you need to be holding a plank to do press ups you aren't going to be doing it for very long or you have bigger problems!

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited April 2020
    Been doing a thing when you bang out 20 or 30 pushups whenever you feel like it. Whether that does any good, I couldn't say but can reach 100+ throughout the course of a day easily. You can also apply the technique to other areas of life, although there may be certain side effects...

• danodano Frets: 1592
    I do 200 about 3 times a week, 5 sets of 40. Ive been at that level for a while now and find to push beyond that, it do it as part of my morning break whilst working from home.

i keep wanting to do the 100 in one go but need to change my regime a bit. Probably limited on time too.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I haven’t been near a gym since a couple of weeks before lockdown and after 30 mins of drumming I’m knackered, so I’m in.

I know I could easily do 60 in 4 sets (actually supersets with 1 other thing), with ~2 min gap between sets so will aim to get back to at least that and then beyond
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    I did this last time but got some should pain at around 30 or so. I have been running a lot in lock down (about 25 runs I think) so kinda keen to add something.
    This may be due to your technique. I have an issue with my left shoulder and have found that spacing my hands slightly further out helps.

I was also getting lower back pain and found a Youtube video where a guy taught me pull my bum muscles in while doing press ups and it sorted the issue.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I just did 60, I'll confess that I do do press ups fairly regularly, multiple time a week but not everyday. I do them with my feet placed on the end of my bed, probably 18 inches or so off the floor. That places an emphasis on different muscle groups?
    It'll be interesting to see if I can reach 100, I'm at that age (50+) where progress is likey to be limited.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    It’s important to do some warm-up exercises before press-ups to avoid muscle injuries. For guys of a heavier build don’t struggle doing a small number but instead do your press-ups with your hands on the seat of a dining chair, not on the floor. When you can do perhaps 50 like that comfortably then do them off a footstool or similar - gradually working up to being able to do them with your hands on the floor. This way you feel you are getting somewhere and are less likely to injure yourself.

Lighter built guys will get to a point that they can continue doing press-ups until their stamina runs out. In that case do the opposite of the heavy guys and do a smaller number of press-ups but with your feet on the seat of a dining chair.

Anyone that finds they get wrist pain with their hands flat on the floor could try doing press-ups on their knuckles which relieves the pain and also strengthens the wrists.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5153
    edited April 2020
    I just managed 25 x 2 by gripping a loaded barbell on the floor and chest touching bar...I couldn’t have done much more in one go without fainting, but I’ll do another 2 x 25 and hopefully report back =)
  • I’ve been doing 10 sets of 10 every other day as part of lockdown. Gets much easier very quickly as long as you stick at it.

I was out of practice but used to be a bit like ICBM mentioned, but that was 15 or 20 years ago.

I’ve kept the reps the same but shortened the rest time
    as I’ve got better. I can’t be bothered doing 100s of reps so this seems the best way to keep increasing the stimulus.

I’ve got a barbell and lifting platform at home now so, lockdown is like a full training camp. I just need to work on a 2 hour recovery nap in the day so I can make the most of it. Sadly the kids ruin that chance
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    I can't do 100 consecutively and not sure I ever will be able to...

It takes me just over 4 mins to do 100 with a few rests; 100 in under 4 mins is my lockdown goal.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193

I’m up for this. 

I managed 25 just now.  I broke my wrist 2 years ago and have a steel plate screwed in there which means I can’t do press-ups with palms to the floor.

I can do them ok on fists but that does feel a bit harder.   

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    To put mine into context, I'm 6ft 5" and weigh 17.5 stone. So there's a LOT of mass to move.

Thought I'd mix it up and try diamond pushups last night.... f*ck me. Couldn't even do 1. Had to do them on my knees!

Still managing around 2 x 20 'normal' pushups each day. I also have these weird pushup floor grips that twist and rotate with you as you hold them; them seem to target a lot more of the chest.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I found a cracking press up work out somewhere, talks about the benefits and differences of mixing up your hand position - diamond, standard, hands splayed out, fists. Quite a lot of differences in what muscles are activated and that. If you are interested in that sort of thing, worth looking up.

Maybe we need a lockdown exercise thread? 
  • I'll start today. Will let you know how many I manage after my daily walk or bike ride.

I'm fat, unfit and have a desk job. I did keep my fitness up by cycling to work from spring through autumn. Lol. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    There's a lot of difference between being fit and being able to loads of press-ups. Press ups are about technique and strength, not fitness.